View Full Version : Depression is like a black dog

It'sPeter
04-07-14, 05:49 AM
I came across this video and I was in awe. The metaphore is so right on and recognisable to me, that I felt tears welling up. It gave me a great sense of comfort when I saw this, because I have been there and for a time it was all I knew.

Hopefully, it can comfort others on this board.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XiCrniLQGYc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Elizabeth83
09-27-14, 09:23 AM
My boyfriend was being difficult to be around again last night and for the longest time he gets this way and I have trouble understanding what is wrong with him. I have been frustrated with him but last night after being together almost 8 years, I realize he has struggled with Depression for a very long time. Everything he has been telling me makes sense. He isn't the type to do his own investigating so I am for him. I showed him the video and he watched it and started crying at the end. He says that's exactly how he feels. I never understand why he says he wakes up in a bad mood but now I see that is what happens with depression. Thank you!

Wrenchman
09-28-14, 08:52 AM
I just stumbled across this post. When I was a teen ( late 80's early 90's)I knew a man who was for lack of a better term "goofy". He was a mountain man kind of guy. He lived in a cobbled up shack with his wife. He did not work. He hunted,fished and grew his own food. None of these things are goofy but his demeanor and actions were the "goofy" things. He mentioned to my dad about the black dog coming around..... I now see him as a man before his time. :) One of the goofy things he did was he called everyone Bo. When he spoke to my dad he called him bo. When he spoke to me he called me Bo. LOL

I now realize he suffered from depression. I always liked him. I think about him occasionally and this post/video brought back those memories of Bo. LOL ( he also wanted everyone to call him Bo)

Thanks for posting the video.

Rebelyell
09-28-14, 09:07 AM
Bo is a southern thang.
Cousins hubby calls me that all the time.

BellaVita
09-28-14, 09:49 AM
Watching this made me realize that "the black dog" is with me almost all the time.....in some way...

Brought tears to my eyes.

I wonder what it's like to be truly happy.

Little Missy
09-28-14, 09:53 AM
As soon as I started listening it made me cry so I turned it off.

JJJJJJJJJJ
09-28-14, 10:27 AM
My boyfriend was being difficult to be around again last night and for the longest time he gets this way and I have trouble understanding what is wrong with him. I have been frustrated with him but last night after being together almost 8 years, I realize he has struggled with Depression for a very long time. Everything he has been telling me makes sense. He isn't the type to do his own investigating so I am for him. I showed him the video and he watched it and started crying at the end. He says that's exactly how he feels. I never understand why he says he wakes up in a bad mood but now I see that is what happens with depression. Thank you!

I happy for you that you had that discussion. Guys can tend to hold in their feelings. They tend to value being respected over being loved, unlike many women. Your supportiveness in such a moment probably meant more to him than you realize!

I really liked how the video encouraged people, especially guys, to reach out for assistance rather than just try to deal with it alone.

Clearly the video was the product of a mainstream medical philosophy. In my opinion such a broad label of "depression" is absolute BS! It works for HMO doctors who are limited to 15 minutes due to insurance reimbursement. They don't have time to separately address problems with memory, fatigue, bad mood, anxiety along with depression. Throwing a script for an SSRI at you is quick and easy and keeps the insurance company happy.

In contrast, compare that with the Functional Medicine philosophy as explained here (https://www.functionalmedicine.org/What_is_Functional_Medicine/AboutFM/) and by Dr Mark Hyman, who as a young doctor has a mysteriously long list of symptom including chronic fatigue, mood problems, gut problems and his previously great memory was gone, etc. In one of his books he says he went to ten other doctors before someone reailzed heavy metals were a major reason for his problems. He describes that philosophy, including how it applies to depression here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkxk7nod33o)

When a person has a long list of seemingly unrelated symptoms in different parts of the body like Dr Hyman and the symptoms could have heavy metals as a cause or contributing factor, doesn't it make sense to consider the possible impact of HMs, especially if you've given mainstream medicine a reasonable amount of time to resolve the problems?

I followed the cases of these two members of HM detox groups for several years. I found them to be compelling. They are an example of how we need to take responsibility for our lives. While doctors are a valuable resource, we'd be wise not to treat them like benevolent medical gods! Continue to look for better answers or theories!

Rita, (http://onibasu.com/archives/fdc/111235.html) typical case of disabled middle aged female due to mercury.
Brad, (http://howirecovered.com/meet-brad-who-recovered-from-bipolar-disorder/) unusual case of bipolar, etc, etc, who doggedly looked for clues.

My experience is presented here. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1683540#post1683540)

Good luck.