View Full Version : How do i get help?

darkdreams
03-24-05, 08:31 PM
:confused: I have been researching add and adhd because two of my daughters have been diagnoced with it. The more I read the more Ithink i may have it. How does a person with out any money go about getting help. My main worries is the fact that when I lose my temper I have these Blackouts and im scared I might really hurt someone someday. I have a lot of the sighns of add but do not have the money to go to a doctor. What do i do?:(

auntchris
03-25-05, 12:42 AM
Is there a healthcare agencie near you ? Check the hospital....ask for a neuropychologist. That is who I was told does the testing. There are others too a psychiatrist....not to up on it sinceI I am in the same boat but have some insurance throught the state.

Check the forum and in the search engine at the top of the page write something like ...getting testing for Add... or who test for ADD....let me know what happens ....talk to you soon.

exeter
03-25-05, 02:31 AM
I would start with your county mental health agency. If there's not one specifically listed in the phone book, try the county health department. They are likely to either be able to help you directly or have a list of providers who can see you on a sliding scale.

mctavish23
03-25-05, 10:56 AM
Hopefully there is a community mental health center in your area. Often times they may have grants to cover the costs of therapy, but not usually meds. They may also have a sliding fee scale based on income.

I would recommend you continue reading up on ADHD at the library (or online) .There is an excellent book entitled You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid Or Crazy? by Kate Kelly & Peg Ramundo. Check it out when you get the chance.

Recognizing a problem is the most important thing in trying to address it. Good luck.:)

QueensU_girl
03-25-05, 11:23 AM
If you think you have AD/HD, but are confused by other symptoms (you mention blackouts -- not typical AD/HD) -- you may want to check out the book by Neurologist/Psychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen, called "Healing ADD".

He describes (and shows brain scans!) of six subtypes of AD/HD.