View Full Version : List of environmental causes of ADHD

mildadhd
04-11-14, 12:31 AM
I'm collecting a list of known environmental, epigenetic/hereditary factors associated with ADHD.

So far...feel free to add, opinions to the list.

List

-Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) (environment)

-premature (?)
-low birth weight (?)

-lead exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)
-alcohol exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)
-unintentional adoption, anxiety, depression, type distress exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)
-cigarette exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)

i!i

namazu
04-12-14, 11:57 PM
MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Please respect the thread-starter's wishes and limit this thread to empirically-observed or hypothesized environmental risk factors for the development of ADHD.

If you wish to contest one or more of the specific items on this list, please provide references and/or briefly explain why you believe it should not be included.

If you have strong feelings about "genetics vs. environment", please post in one of the roughly five bazillion other threads devoted to that discussion.

This thread focuses on environmental risk factors.

daveddd
04-13-14, 08:47 AM
can emotional experiences in themselves (obviously intense ones) be a stress factor

Corina86
04-14-14, 08:41 AM
Stuff that can cause brain damage, but I don't know if they are linked to ADHD specifically:

Strangulation at birth
Infections and other health issues during infancy and childhood, including meningitis, severe chickenpox, ear infection, any infection that causes prolonged fever
Lack of proper nutrition during infancy and childhood
Narcolepsy, prolonged insomnia and other sleep issues
Sleep apnea
Prolonged exposure to solvents

If some are proved not to be linked to ADHD, I would appreciate if you'd correct me.

Lunacie
04-14-14, 10:19 AM
-Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) (environment)

-premature (?)
-low birth weight (?)

-lead exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)
-alcohol exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)
-unintentional adoption, anxiety, depression, type distress exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)
-cigarette exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)

I have not seen any studies that bear out premature birth or low birth weight as causing ADHD,

only anecdotal accounts. Is there any evidence of either of these?

The only link I've seen to adoption causing ADHD is studies that show the child

is more likely to resemble the biological parents more than the adoptive parents.

It may be worth noting that second-hand smoke may be as bad for the fetus

as a mother who smokes herself.

http://www.myadhd.com/causesofadhd.html

Lunacie
04-14-14, 10:24 AM
Another thread suggests a connection with tuberculosis, which led me to this research:

TB Meningitis and ADHD (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12405172)

Hathor
04-14-14, 10:49 AM
Skool, bores any reasonable mind into hypnosis.

/thread

Corina86
04-14-14, 11:30 AM
Another thread suggests a connection with tuberculosis, which led me to this research:

TB Meningitis and ADHD (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12405172)

Interesting! If tuberculosis meningitis is a cause of ADHD, I wonder whether other types of meningitis are too.

Lunacie
04-14-14, 11:32 AM
Interesting! If tuberculosis meningitis is a cause of ADHD, I wonder whether other types of meningitis are too.

I hadn't even known that there are different types of meningitis. :scratch:

SB_UK
04-14-14, 02:16 PM
Skool, bores any reasonable mind into hypnosis.

/thread

How do people learn stuff they don't want to know ?

And what is it that people want to know ?

Born
Eat/Sleep/Mate <- make as 'clean' as possible
Die <- so this isn't preceded by disease, and ideally is preceded by a few years which might be considered nice.

-- think Shawshank redemption beach

-*-

I guess I can handle learning something I don't want to know as long as it's clear that I'll get to learn something I do want to know as a consequence.

Hathor
04-14-14, 07:55 PM
How do people learn stuff they don't want to know ?

And what is it that people want to know ?

Born
Eat/Sleep/Mate <- make as 'clean' as possible
Die <- so this isn't preceded by disease, and ideally is preceded by a few years which might be considered nice.

-- think Shawshank redemption beach

-*-

I guess I can handle learning something I don't want to know as long as it's clear that I'll get to learn something I do want to know as a consequence.

Vell it seems most people do not vant to knou themselves, hadly a suprise as ve are all prostitutes.

Skool turns earth into a vhorehouse, learining vhat ve do not vant in exchange for status and material comforts.

Bad enough, but upon digging deeper I find they likely make it deliberately boring. I thought math and physics vere boring, but decades later turns out I like them.

I also like sociology - and you don't need any fancy statistical math to find the bs in this link, and it stinks so badly that I doublt it is accidental.

Troulbe is they do not understand Gurdijeiff, and they are bigger slaves than their victims.

brought to you by the military industrial complex :mad::

http://achieve.org/math-works

mildadhd
04-16-14, 01:26 AM
can emotional experiences in themselves (obviously intense ones) be a stress factor

The Count's basic emotional systems, especially SEEKING/Expectancy and PLAY(joy) systems, enthusiastically want to find something to count.

Then The Count's RAGE and FEAR systems become more aroused, thwarting the PLAY system, as The Count gets frustrated and anxious, because he can't find anything to count.

But being aware that "frustration" #1, is one of many secondary/tertiary feelings.

The Count feels "happy" #2, because he found another feeling to count.

The Counts goes on to count, "love" #3 and feels "proud" #4.

About 1:00 into the video, The Count feels sad and anxious, temporally thwarting his PLAY system again, because he "can't think of any more feelings to count".

Then The Count considers, that his "sad" #5 feeling, is another feeling to count, his SEEKING and PLAY systems becomes "exultant" #6, "ecstatic" #7 "exuberant" #8.

After the experiencing the satisfaction of having such a rewarding day, finding multiple secondary/tertiary process feelings to count.

The Counts primary process SEEKING, and PLAY systems, feeling rewarded, become "exhausted", as The Count got his dopamine for the day.

Note: As a result of counting to much, The Count has also developed a high tolerance to counting and his SEEKING System soon requires more counting, affecting his sleep.

Imaging the feelings, if during early development, The Count never had anything to count.

The Counts SEEKING system may have remained hyperactive and the development of the PLAY system may have be thwarted.

SuperDuperLayman (please leave room for error)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxKvwMIVtA

SB_UK
04-16-14, 06:18 AM
I also like sociology - and you don't need any fancy statistical math to find the bs in this link, and it stinks so badly that I doublt it is accidental.

Fancy mathematical procedures / Soap operas allow escapism - allow the individual to descend into a world which isn't of any relevance to this world - and to shirk personal responsibility towards making the world viable.

It's easy to point at maths - but the same is true of any over-bloated logical system eg legal system, taxation system, stock market system ... ...

in the case of the above 3 for example - not one is required in a world correctly compatible / aligned with man.

And mathematics ?
We need to work out what they true axioms are - and whether they're simply axioms of a mathematical arena - or a physical (the physical world) arena and to keep the extrapolation of the axioms in their applicable domain.

So - if we take a thing - it isn't a thing - it isn't 1 entity - it's connected, and the 1 entity it appears is under constant motion and so isn't 'still' - and so somehow adding 1 carrot to 1 carrot to make 2 carrots doesn't make sense - there is only 1 thing in the Universe comprising things and those things cannot be added unless by the process of emergence described in eg nuclear physics through particle evolution up to the quark and into chemistry.

1 + 1 does not = 2 in the physical world; we can't combine two single inanimate objects together to generate two inanimate objects.

Maths is a game; just a game which has gotten so far ahead of itself - that now it's pushed into problems in the physical world - with no real applicability - models fail to model real world events - and the models themselves, so unwieldy in nature that flaws difficult to address.

SB_UK
04-16-14, 06:31 AM
List of environmental causes of ADHD

distress exposure (epigenetic/hereditary)