View Full Version : Fasting

forum1tim316
04-11-14, 12:14 PM
Fasting and Adhd meds.

There is limited research I have found on this subject. Does any body have some input on this. I think fasting is very interesting. I'm just wondering on what you could do with both. Please give some informative and good responsive answer's, Thank you. Be cool.

sarek
04-16-14, 07:45 AM
Its on my "to try" list. I will report back when I have useful experiences to share.

Fuzzy12
04-16-14, 02:49 PM
What's your question? The effect of fasting on the efficacy of meds?

I used to fast fairly regularly. It gave me a sense of achievement but most of my adhd symptoms got a lot worse on fasting days.

On meds I feel sick if I don't eat.

think.pink
05-11-14, 07:54 PM
I have found the opposite on symptoms during fasting. My add symptoms became virtually nonexistant. Which is great except for the fact that you can't fast forever.

As far as meds during fasting, that's hard to do bc I usually feel nauseous or my stomach hurts to the point that I need to lie down. When I take my meds on an empty stomach, I do find that they work better and they kick in faster. The tricky thing is to find the best time to eat which will also affect my meds the least.

On the other hand, if I have a regular or big meal shortly before, after, or with my meds, they don't work as well, and my mind isn't as sharp.

I find I have good results when I eat a graham cracker or a few saltine crackers with my meds, but of course that isn't good nutrition. When I do that, it's almost like taking the meds on an empty stomach but I don't get the stomach issues. I do sometimes get the bad sides associated with amphetamines, such as teeth clenching, shaky hands, etc, but mind is sharp as a tack.

I've found that I have the best results when eating a lighter meal low in carbs with my meds. The days that I eat just eggs for breakfast are my best days. Meds kick in fine and I get no bad sides. Meds also seem to last longer. But maybe that also has to do with the contributing factor, that the egg yolk has choline in it, which is really good for your brain. I don't know exactly what choline does for your brain though... time to do some research!

I'm thinking of doing an experiment with food and meds. I'm going to log my food and med time and how I feel before and after, and when it kicks in.

Jongeman
01-15-15, 04:39 PM
Fasting stimulates the creation of norephinephrine. The neurotransmitter/hormone which stimulates the behavior of self control, following through on things and planning.

It is also generaly considered very healthy to do once in a while (a full 24h). Your body, when it doesnt register food thinks "oh well, nothing to do with this huge gut I have, beter go and restore some of these cells and tissues which I've procrastinated for a while"

Food gets the priority over long-term sustainment. So if you're not eating, the body will restore stuff, making you healthier in the end.

Cheerio!

SB_UK
01-16-15, 10:38 AM
I think re:fasting

1. Eat vegetables (only) -> generate a gut biome which produces SCFAs (like b-hydroxybutyrate) - so we customize ourselves to low carb / fat metabolism
2. Fast (fat metabolism)
3. Produce b-hb as we break down fat
4. b-hb feeds biome (ie the biome works in reverse) to generate any other factors which we might need to live

The point I'm making is that I think we're reliant on a certain profile of gut biome to fast meaningfully.