View Full Version : ADD and tics. How common is it for people w/ ADHD/ADD to have tics?

mrh235
04-11-14, 09:02 PM
and I don't mean the bug lol.

I talked to my psychiatrist today about ADD and I found out something I had never realized before. Before I was diagnosed with ADD I had a lot of weird voluntary tics with my hands, eyes, and other stuff, but after about a month of being on meds they went away. I've been on meds ever since, but I can't help but wonder how common it is for people w/ ADD to have tics. Is it caused by ADD or related?

Drogheda
04-11-14, 09:13 PM
if you mean like muscle spasms, the stupid eye ones ya, I get those a lot but I think thats more about stress and lack of sleep.

the Dr said that Adderall could promote them but so far I haven't had any.

I do have a couple of voluntary ticks I do, but I completely understand that I am doing them

psychopathetic
04-11-14, 09:18 PM
Sometimes I have to shake my hand really rapidly...never understood that. It's like I have this energy that needs to be released and I can only release it by shaking my hand very violently very briefly.
I also rock (back and forth while I'm sitting a lot)...no idea if that's considered a 'tic'.
And I remember as a kid I use to always feel so compelled to do this really weird thing with my mouth...lol I'm not even sure how to explain it. It was like I had to swoosh the saliva in my mouth a certain way (haha I know it's gross!). I think it was almost an ocd thing because I felt like I "had" to do it. If I didn't it'd be the only thing I could concentrate on and it would drive me nuts (like having a super itch and trying not to scratch it!)...then I sometimes had to do it over and over and over again.
Again...NO clue if that was a tic either.

mrh235
04-11-14, 09:19 PM
if you mean like muscle spasms, the stupid eye ones ya, I get those a lot but I think thats more about stress and lack of sleep.

the Dr said that Adderall could promote them but so far I haven't had any.

I do have a couple of voluntary ticks I do, but I completely understand that I am doing them

I think voluntary as well as involuntary.

daveddd
04-11-14, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I have to shake my hand really rapidly...never understood that. It's like I have this energy that needs to be released and I can only release it by shaking my hand very violently very briefly.
I also rock (back and forth while I'm sitting a lot)...no idea if that's considered a 'tic'.
And I remember as a kid I use to always feel so compelled to do this really weird thing with my mouth...lol I'm not even sure how to explain it. It was like I had to swoosh the saliva in my mouth a certain way (haha I know it's gross!). I think it was almost an ocd thing because I felt like I "had" to do it. If I didn't it'd be the only thing I could concentrate on and it would drive me nuts (like having a super itch and trying not to scratch it!)...then I sometimes had to do it over and over and over again.
Again...NO clue if that was a tic either.

unregulated emotion= emotional energy that needs discharged

this can come out as tics, hand flapping, rocking , several other things

daveddd
04-11-14, 09:27 PM
it was crazy when i began to be able to link the energy to an emotion

mainly negative ones,

mrh235
04-11-14, 09:31 PM
it was crazy when i began to be able to link the energy to an emotion

mainly negative ones,

me too most of my feelings were negative

Drogheda
04-11-14, 09:56 PM

heh, I do that with my foot. it's not violently though, it's a methodical rotation of the foot/toes

it is kind of like you are reflecting some inner energy into your foot at the time.

namazu
04-11-14, 10:10 PM
Tics are somewhat more common in people with ADHD (and other developmental disabilities).

Conversely, people who have chronic tics (including Tourette's syndrome but also more limited sets of tics) appear to be more likely to have ADHD (and/or OCD).

There's some evidence that people with ADHD are also more likely than the general population to have other "body-focused repetitive behaviors" -- including things like hair-pulling and skin-picking (which are now classified as their own separate "OCD spectrum" disorders).

As for cause -- hard to say. Probably there are some underlying biological factors related to regulation of nervous system arousal that contribute to the overlap.

I can think of a whole pile of people on the forum just off the top of my head who have tics with their ADHD, or who have kids with tics and ADHD.

So, long story short, you're definitely not alone!

And it's great to hear that the medication is helping you manage the ADHD and has had the "bonus" of calming your tics, too.

SirSchmidt
04-11-14, 10:14 PM
I've had a few throughout my life. When I was younger, it was either making a funny sound with my vocal chords or squinting my eyes. A few years ago I went through a bad breakup and the squinting came back for about a year and went away. Now, it seems to be needless sniffling even though I'm not congested.

Stress makes it worse for sure. When I'm happy and carefree, no tics at all.

Ing3nium
04-17-14, 05:47 PM
I have ADHD inattentive type and Tics.

safounox
05-02-14, 02:20 PM
I pull my eyebrows (trichotillomania). When I'm on a nervous day I can decimate the entirity of one, I shake my foot (pretty common but annoying to other people lol). :x