View Full Version : ADHD, Epigenetics, Social

mildadhd
04-12-14, 08:07 AM
New next month.

J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2014 May

Commentary: ADHD and social disadvantage: an inconvenient truth?...

Abstract

In the 1950's, many experts believed hyperkinesis was a neurotic reaction to inner conflicts arising from early family experiences. In the 1990's, many experts believed ADHD to be 'genetic' (without a mechanistic explanation of what that meant). Both views appear na´ve today in a scientific world grappling with the complexity of highly plastic gene expression, gene x environment interplay, and epigenetic, context-dependent emergence of psychopathology. Both views also fail to account for the uncomfortable fact that ADHD is also associated with social disadvantage - a level of analysis required in a developmental psychopathology approach. That developmental psychopathology approach, pioneered a generation ago, initially emphasized the accumulation of risk and protective factors, and emerged in a contemporary systemic approach that seeks to determine whether it is risk accumulation (e.g., allostatic load) or specific risk factors (e.g., family process) that mechanistically shape psychopathology. Despite the prominence of the developmental psychopathology perspective, the social context of ADHD is surprisingly neglected today...

KEYWORDS:
ADHD, epigtenetics, social disadvantage

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24708476

O

Dizfriz
04-12-14, 08:20 AM
You missed a sentence,

Both Russell et al. (this issue, 2014) and Larsson et al. (this issue, 2014) take strides toward remedying this state of affairs.

Dizfriz

mildadhd
04-12-14, 08:32 AM
You missed a sentence,

Dizfriz

I didn't miss anything, I didn't want to focus on any one person, in the OP.

I wanted to focus on the mechanical information.

Peripheral

Amtram
04-12-14, 09:21 AM
The mechanical information Dizfriz pointed out is not the contributors' names, but that this model is incorrect.

mildadhd
04-12-14, 10:27 AM
...a mechanistic explanation of what that meant).

I am interested in the actual mechanistic explanation, and the biological mechanisms involved.

Peripheral

SB_UK
04-16-14, 03:33 AM
Excellent stuff.

1. ADHD - disorder element brought on by distress
2. Inequality (social disadvantage) leads to distress ('why equal societies do better')

Solution
Equality.

Distress (body under chronic physical or psychological stress) caused by other factors eg pollution, work/school competition to learn facts which do not make sense, competitive sports where others cheat to win, watching ultra-rich people flaunt their wealth in front of the poor, seeing corporations decimate communities for profit

BUT

all epidemiologically defined distressors disappear in a world of material world equality where all people have the same level of material possessions.