View Full Version : Risk taking behaviour and injuries

jmjsalaird
04-14-14, 07:19 AM
After our last broken bone I have realised that my two with ADHD have had more than their fair share of injuries. So far (at 6) the list includes between them 5 broken bones, one nearly complete thumb amputation, a few gluings ups and a couple of large head knocks.

Just wondering if other children with ADHD are the same. Their big brother (who does not have adhd) has had none of the above.

salleh
04-14-14, 10:22 AM
....Not a parent ...but I broke my arm twice, fell off a horse and cracked my pelvic bone in 3 places, broke my little finger when a board fell off a shelf in the garage, ( fending it off from hitting my head !) ......fell off a ladder twice, last night,....and about 10 years ago .....forgot where I was on the steps, and ended up skipping the last step ......the ground was farther away than I thought ....the first time I couldn't walk without crutches for 2 months, and it hurt for about 4 years.....this time I fell on a thick carpet and and even thicker pad....no hurt !

.....I still skin my knee periodically, ( I am 63) and am forever jamming this finger or that by moving too quickly and not realizing there's something in the way....

.....For years I thought it was because I didn't drink milk when I was a kid ( still don't) but now that I know I have ADHD ....my patterns seem to be related to ADHD rather than no milk drinking ....

....So in answer to your question, from my reading about ADD, and personal experience that is a common problem lots of us share

wyleops
04-14-14, 11:52 AM
When I was young I was on a first name basis with our local emergency room. When I would do something dangerous the world seemed to slow down and I became very focused and calm. I did eventually grow out of it but my poor mother suffered through it.

Now I have for boys of my own and they all have ADHD, but only one is a dare devil like I was.

addthree
04-14-14, 04:02 PM
I visit the ER at least once/year. Not sure if its ADD or what but I am very injury prone.
I have broken many bones, torn ligaments, concussions, and lots of stitches in my head. I have an express pass to the ER.

sarahsweets
04-15-14, 05:38 AM
Some adhd injurys and instances in my house from 3 adhd kids... broken arm, rope burn around the neck (from playing spiderman, not a suicide attempt, he was 7) hot water burn, broken toe from improper trampolene use(you mean you cant skate board off a trampolene?) burn from a curling iron, hair cutting, swallowing a quarter a nickel and a key,a raison stuck up the nose,climbing and getting stuck on a treehouse, climbing on the roof, locking yourself in the car, flushing a peach, bar of soap and GI JOE gun down the toilet...the list is endless and I suspect common with adhd kids and certainly not comprehensive.

Tmoney
04-15-14, 07:21 AM
Yes... I had no fear as a kid and although I didn't have any serious injuries, I could have been hurt bad by some of the things I did. We take chances because we have the "I'm curious, what if I" mind set.

Jumping off the roof, climbing high in a tree, jumping over things with my bike, rope swings, fighting with bigger kids, I did it all.

Stiches, bruises, sprains, but I was so fortunate that I didn't break a bone or kill myself!

I look back today at the things I got involved in even as an adult and I wonder in amazment how I'm still alive today!