View Full Version : Possible symtoms please consider

froggyadd1
04-14-14, 04:55 PM
SWIM has been noticing often lately, especially this past year, that she has been daydreaming often and not paying attention in school, learning most of the material on her own after class. SWIM has also had trouble reading in the midst of any minor distraction, often taking over a half hour to simply read 10 pages. SWIM has never thought about these symptoms until recently. One of SWIM's friends gave her a Vyvanse pill to try recently. SWIM took 35mg before class one day, and it was the most productive day of her life, SWIM felt motivated to accomplish more than what was required, and even organized all of her notebooks/backpack, etc (something which SWIM never does). SWIM took the other 35mg on monday, three days later, and noticed the same engaged, productive experience during and after school. SWIM then started to consider that if the medication helped so much, then could she possibly be a patient of ADD or ADHD?

Corina86
04-15-14, 04:43 AM
I don't know what the abbreviation "SWIM" means, but nobody should be taking medication without prescription, especially stimulants. This person could have ADHD, but only a doctor can put a diagnosis. Keep in mind that ADHD is a condition someone is born with, so a person must have these symptoms since early childhood to qualify for diagnosis. Also, there must be significant impairment in at least 2 areas of life.

Dopes1
04-15-14, 04:46 AM
I don't know what the abbreviation "SWIM" means, but nobody should be taking medication without prescription, especially stimulants. This person could have ADHD, but only a doctor can put a diagnosis. Keep in mind that ADHD is a condition someone is born with, so a person must have these symptoms since early childhood to qualify for diagnosis. Also, there must be significant impairment in at least 2 areas of life.

It stands for "someone who isn't me", which I think morons on drug forums think gives them plausible deniability.

sarahsweets
04-15-14, 05:08 AM
SWIM , you arent fooling anyone because SWIDM(someone who is definitely me) calls ********* on your pseudonym.

Benji X
04-15-14, 05:49 AM
The question is valid, stop being so hostile. "SWIM" - while not often used in here, is completely normal on drug forums. It's also his first post. So give the guy a break.

Yes, it's possible. With this much info it's impossible to tell though. Your notion "lately, especially in the past year" doesn't sound like ADD, because it's a chronic disorder with onset in childhood.

Do some research, especially on inattentive type. On this forum it's "adults with adhd -> inattentive type". Good luck.

Dopes1
04-15-14, 05:58 AM
The question is valid, stop being so hostile. "SWIM" - while not often used in here, is completely normal on drug forums. It's also his first post. So give the guy a break.

Yes, it's possible. With this much info it's impossible to tell though. Your notion "lately, especially in the past year" doesn't sound like ADD, because it's a chronic disorder with onset in childhood.

Do some research, especially on inattentive type. On this forum it's "adults with adhd -> inattentive type". Good luck.

Except for the fact that she was forthcoming about the fact that she took her friend's medication.

Yes, that is also completely normal on drug forums. For people that actually have ADHD or any other legitimately diagnosed disorder and have to get their prescription filled while enduring dirty looks from the pharmacist, this is a plague.

Here's an insane suggestion: Get evaluated by a medical professional and if they diagnose you with ADHD and decide to prescribe you stimulant medication to treat ADHD, go and get the prescription filled and take the medication as directed.

Good luck.

Benji X
04-15-14, 11:55 AM
Except for the fact that she was forthcoming about the fact that she took her friend's medication.

Yes, that is also completely normal on drug forums. For people that actually have ADHD or any other legitimately diagnosed disorder and have to get their prescription filled while enduring dirty looks from the pharmacist, this is a plague.

Here's an insane suggestion: Get evaluated by a medical professional and if they diagnose you with ADHD and decide to prescribe you stimulant medication to treat ADHD, go and get the prescription filled and take the medication as directed.

Good luck.

I meant the term "SWIM" is normal. There's no need to attack that.

If you get dirty looks from your pharmacist - well - I can't help with that, but I think it's her to blame.

Myself - It took me 8 months of professional "evaluations" to get diagnosis.

Sure - "get evaluated, get prescription if diagnosed." Why don't we just throw that as an autoreply for every question that ever comes up in this forum?

Corina86
04-15-14, 12:08 PM
@Dopes1,

You're right, but we all make mistakes and we shouldn't scare someone away just because of an uninformed decision. If you haven't been the one buying ADHD drugs from the pharmacy and being treated like an addict, you probably don't realize how big of a deal it is (personally, I didn't either, not until I came to this board).

Also, ADHD-ers who give their meds away are even guiltier than those who take them, but doing stuff without thinking about the consequences is in itself a symptom of ADHD... And if the people involved are also very young, it's hard to put the blame.

ginniebean
04-15-14, 12:21 PM
It took me forever to swim thru those acronyms. ADHD is a child onset disorder. Disorder must be present before the age of 12.

You are welcome!

Abi
04-15-14, 07:04 PM
Thread closed for staff review.