View Full Version : Assigned Note-sharer via Disabilities Office; Issues

zeldarocks
04-15-14, 07:19 PM
I recently applied for Academic Accommodations via my University's disability office. Amongst the accommodations provided was the necessity for a Note-sharer.

I have a couple of issues: (which may necessitate their own threads, but I'll list them here anyway)

First of all, My boyfriend does not believe I have need for this particular accommodation, seeing that I am not dyslexic/am a good writer/note taker.

Secondly, my math instructor says that he may not be able to accommodate it, given that he cannot force another student to write notes and/or share them with another student.

If I could have feedback from you guys regarding these issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

acdc01
04-15-14, 09:28 PM
Your math teacher is a *******. What student would say no to a request (worded decently) from their teacher, especially if it's to help someone with a disability?

Nevermind what everyone else says, do YOU feel you would benefit from having someone else's notes? If the answer is yes, you should get them. If no, then don't.

I can tell you, other people's notes made THE difference between failing and getting good grades for me.

That said, the quality of the student's notes you get makes a big difference.

Anyway you can figure out who's the best notetaker in the class and then ask for their notes specifically? I'd request their notes if you can. Are you worried at all that your teacher might ask the question in a way that encourages the student to say no? If so, if you can listen in on the conversation, I would. That way you know if he did that and then can ask the disability office to make the request to another student instead.

Also, I wasn't diagnosed and just made friends with the best notetaker in class and then got her notes that way. That's another option if your school turns out to be really messed up.

Good luck.

sarahsweets
04-16-14, 05:56 AM
tell yo go him F**K HIMSELF, No opologies...get going and do your best. Go over this tool's head and fin out which admin official deals with this,

Ganjin
04-16-14, 08:38 AM
I don't know how it's handled at your school, but my university we seek volunteer note takers by circulating a sign up sheet. I then screen the volunteers to make sure that the quality of their notes is decent (organized, good handwriting, etc.) and submit the names of the best volunteers to the disability office. Volunteers who are chosen get a few campus privileges: high priority registration for classes, a small coupon for the campus bookstore, etc... Nothing fancy.

Even in small classes, I've never had a shortage of volunteers. Usually I get the opposite: more volunteers than I would ever need as note takers.

I don't know why your prof would make this comment to you. It's true that we can't force students to perform this service, but that's obvious. If you end up having nobody in your class volunteer, then that will be a problem. Let us know how it turns out. I bet another student steps up.

mrs. dobbs
04-16-14, 08:45 AM
Maybe this isn't the case anymore, but my experience seemed to be that many instructors just don't have a clue about invisible disabilities. Math teacher may have been saying this sort of thing off the cuff. It should be pursued but not taken personally. He is probably ignorant. Boyfriend needs to learn a little more about you and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ganjin
04-16-14, 08:56 AM
Maybe this isn't the case anymore, but my experience seemed to be that many instructors just don't have a clue about invisible disabilities. Math teacher may have been saying this sort of thing off the cuff. It should be pursued but not taken personally. He is probably ignorant. Boyfriend needs to learn a little more about you and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ha! I forgot that the OP mentioned her boyfriend. You can tell your boyfriend (as gently or as forcefully as you choose) that he is completely unqualified to even comment on appropriate accommodations. He's completely out of his league here. And although this particular issue might not be a big deal between the two of you, I say beware.

You should be with someone who is supportive of you. He's entitled to his opinions I suppose, even on matters for which he's totally unqualified. But you're entitled to surround yourself with people who are supportive of you.

zeldarocks
04-16-14, 01:58 PM
Ha! I forgot that the OP mentioned her boyfriend. You can tell your boyfriend (as gently or as forcefully as you choose) that he is completely unqualified to even comment on appropriate accommodations. He's completely out of his league here. And although this particular issue might not be a big deal between the two of you, I say beware.

You should be with someone who is supportive of you. He's entitled to his opinions I suppose, even on matters for which he's totally unqualified. But you're entitled to surround yourself with people who are supportive of you.

I don't want to go off-topic, but I just wanted to clarify that I'm a male, and gay. I understand that the most common assumption would be that I am a female based on my having a boyfriend; hence the need for clarification.

Lunacie
04-16-14, 02:23 PM
I wish I were a good note taker and writer, but even if I was, I understand that

my having ADHD could make me distracted at odd times and miss something important.

Point that out to your bf, you're afraid of missing something you need for class.

Perhaps you could return to the disability office and ask how they go about finding volunteers?

Tell them you don't understand how it works, and your math teacher doesn't seem to either.

If there is no volunteer, maybe the uni could provide an electronic device with vocal

word processing to make a copy of whatever the instructor says in class?

Toogoofy
04-16-14, 02:42 PM
At my college University of Central Florida Student Disability Services (SDS) handled the accommodations. While I had this as one of my accommodations I never used it but my adviser told me how it works. She said that an e-mail from SDS would be sent to the entire class. Whoever applied would send in a copy of their notes that would be forwarded to me then I got to choose. The person that was selected did in fact get paid. Which meant that it was a rarity that they did not have someone to do the notes. If no one applied they hired someone to do it much like a sign language interpreter.

So, talk with your SDS office! This shouldn't even really be the choice of your professor all he needs is a letter from SDS but that wouldn't tell him who is doing your notes!

Goofy

zeldarocks
04-16-14, 03:00 PM
I wish I were a good note taker and writer, but even if I was, I understand that

my having ADHD could make me distracted at odd times and miss something important.

Point that out to your bf, you're afraid of missing something you need for class.

Perhaps you could return to the disability office and ask how they go about finding volunteers?

Tell them you don't understand how it works, and your math teacher doesn't seem to either.

Am I in the wrong as far as my motivations go? Am I just being lazy?

If there is no volunteer, maybe the uni could provide an electronic device with vocal

word processing to make a copy of whatever the instructor says in class?

The thing with me is more-so the fact that actively note-taking is extremely difficult; mainly having to seat there and take-notes from the moment the class begins, to the very last minute.

It's not so much that I am unable to take notes, but more-so because it would make my experience a lot more pleasant.

Ganjin
04-16-14, 04:39 PM
I don't want to go off-topic, but I just wanted to clarify that I'm a male, and gay. I understand that the most common assumption would be that I am a female based on my having a boyfriend; hence the need for clarification.

Ah yes, my bad on the assumed gender. The boy friend reference led me astray, as did your name (zelda).

addthree
04-16-14, 05:14 PM
public schools are required to make accommodations. however private schools can do what they want.

zeldarocks
04-17-14, 02:07 PM
The accommodation was a success!

It was a world of difference!

For once, I didnít have to focus on writing things down, instead being able to devote my attention to actually understanding the material.

As a bonus, the notes provided were actually quite adequate.

On the whole, although I found it somewhat difficult to establish attention, once I actually made a conscious effort at focusing, I was able to focus for the remainder of the lecture.

On the other hand, if I attempted to shift my attention between writing and attending to the lecturer, I found it next to impossible to actually grasp the material.

tl; dr: I'm really f****** happy!!! It worked! :D

Fuzzy12
04-17-14, 02:08 PM
:yes:The accommodation was a success!

For once, I didnít have to focus on writing things down, instead being able to devote my attention to actually understanding the material.

On the whole, although I found it somewhat difficult to establish attention, once I actually made a conscious effort at focusing, I was able to focus for the remainder of the lecture.

On the other hand, if I attempted to shift my attention between writing and attending to the lecturer, I found it next to impossible to actually grasp the material.

Ganjin
04-17-14, 02:12 PM
This is great to hear!

Ganjin
04-17-14, 02:28 PM
public schools are required to make accommodations. however private schools can do what they want.

That's not entirely true. When it comes to colleges and universities, they must comply with federal laws mandating reasonable accommodation (e.g. Americans with Disabilities Act) if they receive federal funding through any channels at all. That includes federal financial aid to students. Virtually all accredited colleges and universities need to qualify for financial aid or they cease to exist rather quickly.

mrs. dobbs
04-17-14, 02:52 PM
yayy zelda

acdc01
04-17-14, 04:16 PM

Thanks for telling us the results. I always enjoy hearing what ends up happening after someone posts a questions here.

Waitingame
04-21-14, 03:24 AM
Our DRC office PAYS another student to take notes for you, and it's not up to the instructor to do anything beside announce that someone (not outing you - that's a violation) in the class needs notes, and would someone else like to get paid to take them.

Go back to your DRC and tell them you've encountered issues with the instructor. It's not his call to say whether or not you should have notes. He just needs to announce that a note-taker is needed, and if he won't, maybe the DRC person can pop into your class, make the announcement, and get it all set up.

Good that your boyfriend is such an expert on what you need, right? (sorry, sarcasm) It's hard enough to deal with having ADHD without having a freaking peanut gallery to comment on what you do and do not need. Had an EX-boyfriend who said that a "good run" ought to take care of my ADHD all in itself. Trust me, I've tried to run away from it plenty, and I'm 100% sure that doesn't work in toto. If this BF is otherwise a keeper, maybe you could ask him nicely to refrain from making comments on what you do and do not need to learn, since he is not you and couldn't possibly know what you need?

Waitingame
04-21-14, 03:25 AM
Whoops - sorry - missed that you had it all figured out before I posted (hey, ADHD, anyone?). At any rate, glad it's all working out, and please remember that you have rights both in the classroom and with your BF!

tryn-optmsm
04-21-14, 10:49 AM
WaitinG - thanks for posting - for those of us who pre-med's don't have the patience to go over all everybody's posts !
During my Entire academic experience -- RARELY did I have notes of my own -- and Always had to go running & Xerox someone else's