View Full Version : Just started Celexa and Ritalin (crossing my fingers)

TheNarrator
04-16-14, 10:20 AM
Well, it's been about a year since I tried any medications. And I only briefly tried Adderall and Concerta. Things have spiraled out of control (even more than previously) and my immediate family has taken the brunt of my mood swings. A friend of mine with similar ADHD to mine started taking Celexa and it has greatly improved his life. So I finally went back to the Dr. and she prescribed me that and Ritalin. I'm praying they work out but I know it's going to be a trial and error situation.

Mainly the anxiety and depression are affecting me but I'm sure they are brought on by the ADHD putting untold pressure on my life. Anyway, I start them today so we shall see. I have had insomnia growing increasingly worse the last couple months so I'm hoping sorting this stuff out will help. Anyone have any OTC suggestions for the insomnia. It's getting to sleep that's my problem. 4-5 hours a night is not cutting it. But maybe these meds will sort it out. I tried reading last night instead of watching shows on my iphone (which I know is not helping). But I ended up reading half the book, Finally downed some NyQuil to help.

425runner
04-16-14, 04:27 PM
Melissa by Nature's Way aka lemon balm. 2-3 capsules before going to bed plus 200 mg l-theanine (NOW brand). 400 mg Mg Citrate at dinner and you should be relaxed enough to drift off to sleep. If you wake up in the middle of the night, take 3-4 grams of l-ornithine.

This is the natural way, you can order all these supplements online. or ask your doc for a low dose benzo, 0.5 mg Xanax will make you very sleepy.

USMCcop
04-16-14, 11:09 PM
If Celexa doesn't work out, try Lexapro instead (same family). Celexa did nothing for me, but Lexapro did.

TheNarrator
04-17-14, 04:23 PM
Will, do. My dad is on Lex and it works well for him. First two days on the Celexa (generic) are 1/2 does (or 10mg). But so far they kind-of give me a buzz (not particularly a good feeling, but I can tell they are doing something up there) I know it will be a month before I know for sure. I have seemed a little happier ( but it might just be a placebo effect).

Started the (name brand) Ritalin today (after hearing mixed reviews on generics). 10 mg morning and 5mg noon-ish (is what she want me to start at). I can definitely feel an effect (thinking it's sort-of positive, but obviously too soon to guess). I think I feel my brain trying to clear or focus, but not quite. It's more like a weird buzz/slight fog, but still I can see some positive feeling in there. I am sticking with the plan this time.

Last time I bailed on Adderall after 2 days and Concerta after 3 days. But I was waiting for a light switch effect which I know is probably rare, and I shouldn't be expecting. I have been anti-medication my whole life, but I am committed to seeing this through. What could it hurt, my life has pretty much been a wreck un-medicated so far.

425runner
04-17-14, 08:40 PM
I liked Lexapro a lot! But the headaches I got on it were unbearable. Not even 8 advils and 6 tylenols help. It went on for several weeks after which I gave up. The withhdrawals were not bad, only some emotional instability like crying over little things...

USMCcop
04-17-14, 09:55 PM
Will, do. My dad is on Lex and it works well for him. First two days on the Celexa (generic) are 1/2 does (or 10mg). But so far they kind-of give me a buzz (not particularly a good feeling, but I can tell they are doing something up there) I know it will be a month before I know for sure. I have seemed a little happier ( but it might just be a placebo effect).

Started the (name brand) Ritalin today (after hearing mixed reviews on generics). 10 mg morning and 5mg noon-ish (is what she want me to start at). I can definitely feel an effect (thinking it's sort-of positive, but obviously too soon to guess). I think I feel my brain trying to clear or focus, but not quite. It's more like a weird buzz/slight fog, but still I can see some positive feeling in there. I am sticking with the plan this time.

Last time I bailed on Adderall after 2 days and Concerta after 3 days. But I was waiting for a light switch effect which I know is probably rare, and I shouldn't be expecting. I have been anti-medication my whole life, but I am committed to seeing this through. What could it hurt, my life has pretty much been a wreck un-medicated so far.

Try not to bail. You have to find the effective dose. Before you find it, you'll feel for sure. Unless they're unhealthy, you need to put up with the side effects. Most go away. The headaches will go away. Took me bout a month.

USMCcop
04-17-14, 09:57 PM
I liked Lexapro a lot! But the headaches I got on it were unbearable. Not even 8 advils and 6 tylenols help. It went on for several weeks after which I gave up. The withhdrawals were not bad, only some emotional instability like crying over little things...

I had zippo side effects with Lexapro.

TheNarrator
04-18-14, 01:27 PM
Day 3: I'm feeling pretty happy (odd that it would have started working this fast) (and i'm still only on 1/2 the dosage 10mg, she wanted me to start 20mg today) my brain feels different, not sure how yet. I feel a little more physically hyper (which I was always pretty physically laid back, restless but laid back), mentally I feel like my thoughts have slowed way down (the number of them) which I guess is the purpose of the Ritalin. It's going to take some getting used to. I had some pretty intense leg cramping/pain yesterday for a couple of hours (that's why I didn't increase the dosage yet), that hasn't returned yet today. I'm not bailing this time. I am in it to win it. I'm digging the happy feeling though.

425runner
04-22-14, 08:31 PM
I think I'm going back to Celexa myself. I took 5 mg the other day and the paralyzing anxiety lifted and I was able to go about my day. What a relief....had a Pdoc appt. yesterday and he prescribed Zoloft 50 mg. Well, I took 25 mg of the Zoloft today and felt horrible...sick and like I smoked 2 pounds of weed. Couldn't get anything done at work.

I remember that when the Celexa finally kicked in, after 6-8 weeks, I was planning my future and setting goals again. Life was better. Had to get off due to serious farts and other GI issues but this time it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hmmm...screw Zoloft....going back to Celexa.

TheNarrator
04-23-14, 12:16 PM
425runner, funny you said that about the digestive issues. I was just reading about these essential enzymes that may just take care of it. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/source-naturals-essential-enzymes-500-mg-240-capsules/sr-5130

I think the celexa may be messing with my digestion but I figure I just have to get used to it. The Celexa has already helped tremendously with my mood and patience, I have not lost it once since I started taking it! The Ritalin on the other hand, doesn't seem to be doing **** for my concentration, actually my work productivity has plummeted while on it. The Celexa does seem to make my a little fidgety but I can live with that, I am actually only taking 10mg 2x a day right now. When I took 20mg once a day I felt like I was half drunk for about an hour or so.

dvdnvwls
04-23-14, 12:54 PM
About the leg cramp - it sounds like you probably need to drink a lot more water. Also get off caffeine - when you're taking Ritalin, the buzz of caffeine can be very bad, making you blame the Ritalin when it was really the coffee's fault.

It really sounds like Ritalin is working for you btw.

TheNarrator
04-24-14, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the response. Yeah I stopped coffee today ( but just realized I'm still drinking unsweet tea) which I guess might be almost as bad. I'm not sure about the Ritalin yet, but good point on the caffeine. I will stay away from it for a while and see if that helps. I really seem to be having more trouble focusing than without the Ritalin, It's different but not necessarily better. I am going to keep trying until my appt next week. I can feel it but it's more of a numb feeling, and it's almost hard to think, instead of being able to think about way to much. It makes me feel kind of brain dead, and I have been making more mistakes than usual (and more forgetful).

425runner
04-25-14, 07:17 PM
Yes, that's typical. Only way to avoid this "brain anesthesia" is to lower your dose. I was prescribed 10 mg and only took 5 mg, any more then that and I'd be staring at the wall all day...was hard to think, felt really retarded like that.

Even the 5 mg worked great for my depression/anxiety. I think I'll re-start at 2.5 mg and take it slow.

hollywood
04-28-14, 01:03 AM
2.5mg lexapro. ?

Come on!!!!
That's BS

You know deep down
It won't do anything got anxiety at that dose . You have to step it up and take the actual approved dosages where it shows efficacy

Even I know that . At 2.5 ya you'll feel horrible because it's not working

TheNarrator
04-30-14, 09:05 PM
I posted this in another thread but figured I should update this thread.

I have been taking 20mg of Celexa for about two weeks now. And it has drastically helped me. It has regulated my moods (I was having some serious rage issues), increased my patience, relieved much of my anxiety and negative thoughts, as well as generally made me happier. I give it a huge thumbs up so far. It may have slightly lowered sex drive and I did experience some delayed climax but that seems to be subsiding. It may be slightly making my focus worse (which is not good) and it may be sapping some of my motivation (which was already lacking) but I can live with that for all the good things I'm getting from it. I started it after a friend of mine with similar ADHD told me he has been on it for a year and it has changed his life.

I'm also in the trial stage of Ritalin IR to try to combat these other issues and not having great success. At this time I am up to 15mg but the doc wants me to do 10mg first thing in morning then 10mg at 10am, which I assume she want to see how the 20mg does when it all hits my system, which I think is a short window. But we will see, I am really thinking stims don't really work for me. But I'm not giving up yet.

Best of luck