View Full Version : Study Show Links Between ADHD and Sound Sensitivity

salleh
04-16-14, 01:06 PM
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/03/19/living-with-extreme-sound-sensitivity/

....I thought this was interesting .....I am hypersensitive to some sounds at times .....and a few at all times .....

...a 2 stroke motorcycle engine turns me homicidal .....and the instant I can't hera it anymore ....I'm fine .....

....I can't take the scream of a tea kettle

...and the bong bong of a car while the keys are left in for whatever reason .....drives me crazy..... cannot take more than 2 bongs before I am screaming turn it off !!!!!

...I know from previous posts that a lot of us are super-sensitive to sounds .....turns out it may be part of being ADHD ...

Lunacie
04-16-14, 02:43 PM
Those are the same sounds that are sheer torture to me.

Also: the tinkling song played by the ice cream truck, the boom-boom of the bass

on a radio played too loudly, repetitive music/sounds from a game on tv or computer.

Actually, ALL my senses are hyper-acute, vision (bright light), smells (chemical scents),
taste (spices and texture), touch (clothing), balance and proprioception (awareness of
body's relation to other objects).

daveddd
04-16-14, 06:54 PM
i used to think i was just sensitive to sounds most people are

but my wife has made a couple jokes about it (not hurtful ones)

so yep sensitive here too

OhLookABunny
06-03-14, 12:29 AM
Definitely I have been very aware of sounds, since babyhood according to my mother. As a young girl if I was at, say, a show and there was a loud sound like a gunshot as part of the show, I would cover my ears and close my eyes and be really hard to calm down.

In adulthood, I absolutely loathe the "boom car" stereos - I have to cover my ears - I feel anger but most of that's just at the rudeness of others.:mad:

Some types of music I really dislike - I tend to prefer male voices over female unless the singer has a very melodic voice. I don't care for R&B or any what I call "screechy" music especially by female vocalists. And I don't like up-tempo much, prefer ballad style. There may be an exception here and there but that's my pattern.

Another thing that grates for me is when there is a sound stimulus like someone else's radio playing at a level that is just hovering above my "threshold" - in other words, it could be two rooms away and not really set on a loud volume, but if I can hear it, and it's music or talk radio I dislike, I can not tune it out. Actually, the more annoying a song is, the more it gloms onto my brain - they're called "earworms" - I can't stand to hear songs or singers that are my personal earworms.:eek:

Nicksgonefishin
06-03-14, 02:00 AM
Loud noises are distracting?

Ummm.... No shyt sherlock. :)

If it is specific to certain sounds that sounds (no pun intended) more interesting.

I like the hum of a motor or music to keep me moving.

Lunacie
06-03-14, 09:57 AM
In adulthood, I absolutely loathe the "boom car" stereos - I have to cover my ears - I feel anger but most of that's just at the rudeness of others.:mad:

:

Yes, those people are rude, but it's the sound itself that makes me angry.
It feels like someone is squeezing my chest, my lungs, my heart. It actually hurts.

Same way with a motorcycle engine that's being gunned or revved up.

To a lesser extent, the same thing with those tinkly tunes played by the ice cream truck.

Maurice
12-07-14, 05:52 PM
:mad:OMG! If my rude disrespectful neighbors keep running poer tools in this house, I'm going to take my cat and leave. But before I leave I'm going to turn the gas on the stove on with the pilot lights out!

First it was the neighbor next door building speaker cabinets. Using an effing air compressor and nail gun, then a power sander. Fixed that.

Now the two elephants (STOMP STOMP STOMP) upstairs decided that they need to run power sanders electric drills too. These are the same aholes that called the landlord the very first weekend I stayed here about a clock radio. Wanting to know what I wss doing at 03:00 in the morning.

I've got my stereo cranked in self defense. Called the landlord and I am waiting..............:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Frustrated One
09-24-15, 12:41 PM
I never understood that everyone doesn't fell the same way, but almost all of those sounds listed above bother me as well.

The maintenance workers were doing their weekly landscaping/lawn service next door as I started writing this and I just wanted to yell at them and tell them to shut the **** up before I choke them. Another thing that bothers me is when people chew gum with their mouths open and all I can hear is pop pop pop. That is one of the worst (and most rude) sounds and when hear it, I am seriously tempted to use force with an open hand (or closed) and knock the gum right out of their mouths.

Other noises that bother me are screaming kids. I always took my kids outside if we were in a restaurant or somewhere in public and they were screaming. Little kids who scream while playing also p1$$ me off. I am more angry at the parents who allow it to happen. My dad always said not to scream unless it is an emergency, and I agree with him.

Lunacie
09-24-15, 01:13 PM
I never understood that everyone doesn't fell the same way, but almost all of those sounds listed above bother me as well.

The maintenance workers were doing their weekly landscaping/lawn service next door as I started writing this and I just wanted to yell at them and tell them to shut the **** up before I choke them. Another thing that bothers me is when people chew gum with their mouths open and all I can hear is pop pop pop. That is one of the worst (and most rude) sounds and when hear it, I am seriously tempted to use force with an open hand (or closed) and knock the gum right out of their mouths.

Other noises that bother me are screaming kids. I always took my kids outside if we were in a restaurant or somewhere in public and they were screaming. Little kids who scream while playing also p1$$ me off. I am more angry at the parents who allow it to happen. My dad always said not to scream unless it is an emergency, and I agree with him.

The neighborhood kids have learned not to scream anywhere near my house.
I run out with my cell phone in my hand yelling "What's wrong? I'm calling 911 now!" :yes:

aeon
09-24-15, 02:10 PM
I run out with my cell phone in my hand yelling "What's wrong? I'm calling 911 now!" :yes:

:giggle: This had me laughing!

aeon
09-24-15, 02:16 PM
I can relate to this, but there are a couple of differences too.

I live across from a motorcycle shop, and in the afternoon, after the majority of the day’s work is done, they have to test their repairs, and so there will be the sound of engines, revving, roaring, and cranked, and that’s OK with me. Maybe I got used to it.

In general, the only problem I have is that I can’t filter anything out. Each and every sound compels my attention, so sometimes closed windows and headphones are a godsend.

cheers,
Ian

Frustrated One
09-24-15, 03:23 PM

I laughed at this too. Good idea.

gothceltgirl
09-29-15, 08:40 PM
I was actually born with hyperacusis, hyperacute hearing as well. I forgot to mention that in another comment of my many "wrong" things. Anyway, I have to wear earplugs when I go to concerts and/or night clubs. It's sheer torture if I don't.

It was so bad one night, I had forgotten my ear plugs and tried using bits of napkin (that's my erstwhile solution when I've forgotten my ear plugs) but it didn't work for some reason. My ears started hurting so bad it felt like someone was stabbing me in the ear. I had to leave the club.

I am also super annoyed by some sounds: jackhammers, motorcycles too, sirens, backfiring, etc. Too loud and I'll have to put my fingers in my ears for a bit till it passes. Also the subway is sometimes very loud. I live in NYC.

Then there's stuff that's not so much loud & annoying, as only aggravating & annoying. Ice cream truck for sure, (why do they think a caliope version of Pop Goes the Weasel is enticing anyway?)and the stupid music in The Sims 3 game. I've long since disabled the music and just play my own playlists while playing the game.

Things that drive me bonkers!

Polymorphed
11-18-15, 09:12 PM
I was researching light-sensitivity and found this thread. Digging it back up for anyone interested. Look up misophonia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia) if you suffer from extreme sound sensitivity and you know that your emotional reactions are unreasonable most of the time.

kariebell098
11-21-15, 08:12 AM

hahaha u nailed it

loverainbow
12-30-15, 04:16 PM
I wish it could evening forever. Quiet, dark, intimate.