daveddd
04-18-14, 06:07 AM
i don't have have ocd, just adhd hyper focus is the closest

and some perfectionist tendencies with work

but it seems i see ocd described as a good thing a lot

is it a gift?

BellaVita
04-18-14, 06:13 AM
Heck no if I could get rid of it I could.

Yes, it did make me not lazy in school and work hard, but that caused so much anxiety....(perfectionist...like, had to answer EVERY single question in homework neatly, thoroughly, correctly...and I'd go above and beyond usually, just to be sure.)

And now, like, I can't even SLEEP at night if I don't do my routines, if things aren't straightened and clean, I can't touch germs/something I deem "unclean", I have intrusive thoughts all the time (scary disturbing graphic images that pop up), I obsess over things and it takes over my life. I was told I have moderate-severe OCD.

Not to mention the extreme anxiety it causes.

NOT a gift.

daveddd
04-18-14, 06:17 AM
ah , the second part of your post is what i must have been missing

i just see people say how it makes them really good at stuff

Fuzzy12
04-18-14, 06:18 AM
I don't think so. I'd rather have a choice about my actions than have to act out of irrational compulsions and obsessions Even if these compulsions at times can have productive results. Mostly they are highly disabling impairing and disturbing. I mean in general I'm not sure I've got ocd.

BellaVita
04-18-14, 06:20 AM
Okay, I do admit one thing I kinda see as a gift:
My OCD I believe allows me to have very good audio/verbal memory.

I can replay conversations and performances and things in my head just as I heard them.

This doesn't work well at all if I'm stressed/anxiety filled....

But it helps my ADHD in a way, cuz when someone asks "are you listening" I'm able to repeat the entire conversation to them (both my responses and theirs, even the timing of the pauses and tone of voice etc...) and only be half-listening....

daveddd
04-18-14, 06:22 AM
weird, i have a perfect verbal memory , i can tell people what they said years ago

but zero visual memory

Baal Moom
04-18-14, 06:25 AM
Maybe it's not clear cut, just like AD/HD. I'm not clear on what OCD is, but I'd imagine a drive for precision can be very benificial both for professional advancement and personal improvement.

When I was little, I went through a period when I would feel obliged to do everything symmetrically, right up to picking the other nostril. Eventually I forced myself to do things with just one hand for several months. It was difficult, but the obsession went away, though I'd still get an occasional echo of an urge to scratch my other ear.

Intrusive thoughts aren't as intrusive when I don't fight them. My private maths tutor (a WWII veteran, by the way) used to say, "A thought is a deed half done," but my experience is that it isn't true. It's mostly mental cinema, with the occasional grindhouse flick (love those).

daveddd
04-18-14, 06:27 AM
love grind house movies

daveddd
04-18-14, 06:32 AM
do you think when adhers are talking about hyper focus making them real good at stuff, they are talking about the same basic mechanisms ?

daveddd
04-18-14, 06:34 AM
weird, i have a perfect verbal memory , i can tell people what they said years ago

but zero visual memory

this includes reading too, not seeing it, but hearing it as i read it

Baal Moom
04-18-14, 06:42 AM
Mind you, I doubt anyone's got choice about anything in the conventional sense. I don't think the idea of free will holds up to scrutiny. It seems to postulate that choice exists in a vacuum, detached from all factors of life, and that doesn't seem so, does it. And even if it is so, where does that otherworldly choice come from? If it just pops in your mind, how is that free? Even assuming that you've "decided" to make that choice, how was that decision made? Did it just "pop" out of nowhere? And so on and so forth. And if it was a "subconscious choice", then a) subconscious decisions don't really seem to me to fit the conventional notion of "free will", and b) still, where did the decision come from?

TygerSan
04-18-14, 07:12 AM
Drive to perfection is wonderful if you can harness it. If it means you have a crumpled up pile of paper at your feet, are up hours past your bed time, and are starting attempt number 10 of your math homework because the 3 in problem 3 is off-center, not a gift.

daveddd
04-18-14, 07:15 AM
Drive to perfection is wonderful if you can harness it. If it means you have a crumpled up pile of paper at your feet, are up hours past your bed time, and are starting attempt number 10 of your math homework because the 3 in problem 3 is off-center, not a gift.

so perfectionism trumps productivity ?

mrs. dobbs
04-18-14, 08:02 AM
My OCD is not a gift for me. Have been able to harness it at times but only at great cost to my mental health and that of my loved ones.

Mostly, my OCD is intrusive thoughts, and mental compulsions to calm the anxiety of those thoughts. Or feelings that I am responsible for things that I am not responsible for.

It used to be that I wouldn't eat or touch things and I had to check my eyes and wash my hands.

Before that it was superstitions... if I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk my mother might die. Or skin picking.

Even when I produced the best bit of work due to my lack of understanding of how much is enough.... it wasn't worth it. I want to be happy, not perfect.

mrs. dobbs
04-18-14, 10:14 AM
@Baalmoom: I had the symmetrical/equal hugging of ny stuffed animals when I was little. It was too stressful so I had to end my relationship with them.

willow129
04-18-14, 10:37 AM
I haven't seen any benefit to my mom's OCD...it's almost worse for the people around her because she's just completely unaware/in denial about problems

Stevuke79
04-18-14, 10:42 AM
I can remember crazy things like dialogues, random facts and 15 character nonsensical passwords (like the ones on the bottom of your router) .. basically useless skills and about as valuable as a juggling monkey. I'd trade it all in a second to be rid of the scary ideas and images that pop into my mind, holding on to traumatic events from decades ago and the ability to complete a task "well enough" in a timely fashion.

Anyone who aspires to be a juggling monkey and wants to trade me for my gift, you have a deal!!

I'm going to start a thread, "Is being a paraplegic a gift?"

Don't laugh. Think about what it would be like to be wheel chair bound and not have occasion to stub your toe, AND even if you did stub your toe it wouldn't hurt. Kind of makes you wonder what all those paraplegics are complaining about. Handicap parking my buttt! I have greater risk of toe-stubbing and should be granted the shorter walk!!

Daydreamin22
04-18-14, 10:57 AM
Maybe not in society. If everyone had OCD maybe they would have found a way to be happy living with OCD as the norm.

Stevuke79
04-18-14, 11:40 AM
Again, I think the acid test for all these suggestions should be substituting "paraplegic" for OCD.

Even if everyone in society was a paraplegic, and there were accommodation, it still wouldn't be a gift.

daveddd
04-18-14, 12:32 PM
Again, I think the acid test for all these suggestions should be substituting "paraplegic" for OCD.

Even if everyone in society was a paraplegic, and there were accommodation, it still wouldn't be a gift.

That's a tough one

It seems people with ADHD and OCD say OCD mskes them great in school college and jobs

It would be hard saying that about being parapledgic and ADHD

ADHD only already sucks without OCD helping in school

I'm really sloppy with stuff like that

Stevuke79
04-18-14, 12:35 PM
if you don't like paraplegic, which I admit is an imperfect analogy, then I think juggling monkey is your best analogy.

There happens to be an overlap between current scholastic testing methods and primate repetitive tossing-catching,.. which can make OCD seem like a gift, but really it's just a weakness in scholastic testing.

daveddd
04-18-14, 12:47 PM
Juggling monkey it is

daveddd
04-18-14, 12:48 PM
And please note I put this in chit chat because it was light heartedu

Stevuke79
04-18-14, 12:59 PM
No worries.. im not taking any offense, .. just making a point.

daveddd
04-18-14, 01:04 PM
I know no mental disorders are gifts

Other than ADHD :lol:

Sorry some of those threads get funny

Greyhound1
04-19-14, 07:53 PM
OCD is a double edged sword where the edges aren't equal.

Can be good on the short edge

Can be terrible on the long edge

BellaVita
04-19-14, 08:13 PM
OCD is a double edged sword where the edges aren't equal.

Can be good on the short edge

Can be terrible on the long edge

I wish I understood metaphors...:scratch:

dvdnvwls
04-19-14, 10:12 PM
I wish I understood metaphors...:scratch:
A metaphor is when you start a fire on top of your friend's dessert.

(Unless you know to supply the missing information "It's a birthday cake", the whole thing doesn't work.) ;) :)