View Full Version : Dealing with Boyfriend who has ADD

nbdt1990
04-19-14, 07:12 PM
Hi all,
My bf and i have been dating for 10 months. In the beginning his symptoms of ADD did not bother me and I even forgot he had ADD most of the time. I have a learning disability and can often understand his inability to focus on tasks. However, lately I have found that I need advice in how to deal with him in a positive way. He is always late when we have plans and it takes HOURS for him to respond to a text even if its just a simple question. He gets very involved with activities on the computer and I really believe he often doesnt realize how much time has gone by. It leaves me feeling kind of taken for granted and forgotten alot of the time but I try really hard to be patient and not let my irritation show. Any support/advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
N.B

dvdnvwls
04-19-14, 08:12 PM
Hello, and welcome!

This time-blindness problem is very common with ADHD, and getting too focused on something interesting and ignoring everything else is also a big thing for us. In addition, not responding to texts can also sometimes come from fear of criticism or disapproval.

What does he say about all this?

Driver
04-20-14, 12:02 AM
Your boyfriend is who he is and you have to accept that. You can let him know that those certain behaviours leave you feeling the way you do, but it's up the him as to whether he takes your feelings on board and tries to accommodate you, or not.

But you need to accept that he is who he is and that he most likely will not change. All you can do is let him know how it makes you feel, and either accept that's how it's going to be, or see if he'll meet you halfway and improve his behaviour.