View Full Version : Anyone else unable to get their Desoxyn prescription filled (2014)?

Netspionage
04-21-14, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I found this forum to be invaluable in validating my sanity when, a couple years back, Adderall became literally impossible to get filled at *any* pharmacy in Maryland (and obviously other states as well).

To make a long story short, it was during that time my doctor prescribed Desoxyn for me, and it worked out so well (could take it in lower doses than Adderall, virtually no side effects) that they've been prescribing it for me ever since, and I've not gone back to Adderall at all, much to my delight, as the side effects it had for me (and which, as I understand it, those who are interested in abusing it are looking for, but which I find detrimental) were entirely absent from Desoxyn, either by virtue of the medication itself, or perhaps because I was taking it in smaller doses, or both...And I digress, as ADD people tend to do :lol:

My point is, starting in February/March of 2014, the place where I've been getting my prescriptions filled for years returned the physical prescription for Desoxyn back to me, saying it was on "indefinite distributor backorder". So, I went to a number of other pharmacies (all different chains, I can list them here if there's not a prohibition against doing so), and got the same story from each one, essentially telling me it was on manufacturer or distributor backorder, and they had no idea when it would become available.

I was finally able to get my February prescription filled by another pharmacy, though it took weeks (I literally didn't get my meds until March), and when I went to get my prescription filled for March, I was told the same thing, including by the last pharmacist who was able to fill it (apparently because they happened to have some left over in their warehouse or somesuch).

I've checked the FDA's current listing of medication shortages (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050792.htm), and they don't have it on there, yet there clearly is a shortage, as I sincerely doubt there's a pharmacist conspiracy to keep me from my ADD meds :D -- of course, if this continues, I'll likely have to go back to Adderall (yuck).

Anyone else running into this problem? Is it just in the Maryland/North-East US area? Anyone in other states being told the same thing? Anyone have any advice on how to proceed (e.g., contacting the FDA, contacting the manufacturer, whatever)?

All constructive input is welcomed, and please feel free to PM me or respond via this thread, and I'll reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for your time.

Very Sincerely,

~J

Add2400
04-27-14, 05:08 PM
my story is little different. im not sure if this will help you, i live in California my psychiatrist refused to prescribe it to me stating that it got discontinued, and he switched me to Dexedrine:mad:

Netspionage
05-04-14, 06:19 PM
my story is little different. im not sure if this will help you, i live in California my psychiatrist refused to prescribe it to me stating that it got discontinued, and he switched me to Dexedrine:mad:

It hasn't actually been discontinued -- or at least, not the drug itself, just the name-brand version of it, so feel free to tell them that -- here's a link:

http://investor.mylan.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=463277

In short, here's a summary of what I've found out to date:

Per the Pharmacists where I've been getting my prescriptions filled for many years (IOW, they know me, don't jerk me around, and are as trustworthy as any other pharmacist, best I can tell):

The name-brand Desoxyn was made by Ovation Pharmaceuticals (http://www.ovationpharma.com) -- this redirects to http://www.lundbeck.com/us (I already knew this much, though he gave me this info and their phone contact info anyway).

Anyhoo, per Lundbeck's website:

"As of January 18, 2013, the following products were sold to Recordati Rare Diseases: (...) Desoxyn (methamphetamine hydrochloride tablets, USP). For information about these products, please contact Recordati at 1-888-575-8344 or visit http://www.recordatirarediseases.com/"

So, Lundbeck sold the sole rights for making the name brand to Recordati (an Italian pharmaceutical firm, likely because, in the EU, they tend to prescribe drugs that actually work), which is a group who specializes in 'orphan' drugs, as far as I can tell...Which doesn't bode well. Every pharmacist I've spoken with in the interim has told me the same thing: indefinite backorder/out of stock.

It would appear, unless a miracle occurs, the only possible choice for Desoxyn is either generic or...Generic. And naturally, that generic is made solely by Mylan Pharmaceuticals (http://www.mylan.com), who, in my experience, have a serious hit-or-miss track record. The only generic worse, in my experience, is CorePharma – the company that made those pink Adderalls – the ones which I became physically ill from (id est, nausea, vomiting, headache, etcetera – and while I'm aware those things fall within the adverse/side effects spectrum of Adderall itself, they've NEVER been an issue for me with the name brand, or even with most of the generics: just those terrible pink ones). I think they were likely made in China, and about 20% lead.

So, I'm still sitting on my prescription in the hopes that someone will be able to fill it, but running out of hope on that one. Going to request my Dr. write me a prescription for the generic version, and see if I have any negative reactions to that, or – more likely – if it simply just doesn't work as well, which I'd wager is the case.

As an aside, anyone who would argue that generics are truly equal to the name brand needs a good refresher course in clinical pharmacology...But I digress. Being off my meds makes me tend to do that :cool:

HTH,

~J

Netspionage
05-04-14, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, I waited too long & couldn't edit the post: I was going to add the link to Recordati's site on Desoxyn:

http://www.recordatirarediseases.com/products/us-product/desoxyn%C2%AE-cii-methamphetamine-hydrochloride-tablets-usp

That's all for now.

~J

Netspionage
05-05-14, 03:14 PM
Ok, an update on this...

I called Recordati Rare Diseases, and spoke with a CSR who gave his name as Gerald. Regarding name-brand Desoxyn, he specifically told me that there is currently NO manufacturing shortage of that drug, and any wholesaler/distributor for any pharmacy is welcome to order it from them. He promised to email me a written confirmation of this as well, though it has yet to arrive (I just spoke with him earlier).

He also gave me a phone number to give to the pharmacists if there were any questions (1-866-654-0539).

Immediately thereafter, I spoke with my regular pharmacist (Giant) and was told specifically by them that they had no control over their wholesaler's (McKesson) ordering whims, and they refused to even take the 866 number -- I've used them for years, and they're generally very helpful, but it seems like this is something out of their control, at least at their level.

I then contacted CVS, who uses a different wholesaler (Cardinal), and was told that they could possibly order it; they, however, refused to hang on to my prescription while it was being ordered, and wouldn't order it today because the head pharmacist wasn't in at present, saying that ordering it was solely up to the discretion of the head pharmacist (!), who has been very reluctant to deal with me, so, huh. They also refused to take the Recordati phone number as well.

As I've been trying to get this filled for some time now (the last time I got my meds filled was on March 18th) I suppose I'll be off to try another CVS in person, as there are a couple close by me, but this has just been an insanely frustrating experience, and prior to earlier this year never was, so anyone with any ideas as to the correlation of time and the sudden hassle, feel free to speak up.

If anyone is interested in the continuing saga, I'll keep posting; otherwise, I won't bother. Just getting frustrated as hell.

That's all for now.

~J

Netspionage
05-06-14, 02:00 PM
Ok, here's the latest update -- FWIW. I was starting to suspect this issue is only an issue because of cost -- i.e., that the pharmacies themselves were having to eat some of the cost in some way, hence their sudden reluctance to work with me (even those I've been using for years). While this is dated to 12/2013, it really doesn't support that case (just do a CTRL-F and check the price of NB Adderall versus generic, do the same for Desoxyn versus generic, etcetera):

http://www.truecostofhealthcare.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Copy_of_Drug_Costs_Searchable.359185247.pdf

Via another site, I found a cost calculator (geared towards the patient, not the wholesale suppliers, as the above PDF is), which yielded the following:

NAME OF DRUG QTY PATIENT PAY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESOXYN 5 MG TABLET 120 tablets $757.50
METHAMPHETAMINE 5 MG TAB 120 tablets $280.70
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IIRC, this only applied to certain pharmacies (e.g., CVS).

Anyway, here is a copy of the email I received from Recordati Rare Diseases; please note, despite their encouragement to have the pharmacist contact them, none have been willing to do so (or even take the phone number).

[Emphasis mine]

Dear Mr. ______,

I am responding to your request for information regarding Desoxyn® (methamphetamine hydrochloride tablets, USP) and the following topic:

· Current availability

Desoxyn Tablets are indicated for the treatment of:

· Attention deficit disorder as an integral part of a total treatment program which typically includes other remedial measures (psychological, educational, social) for a stabilizing effect in children over six years of age with a behavioral syndrome characterized the following group of developmentally inappropriate symptoms: moderate to severe distractibility, short attention span, hyperactivity, emotional lability, and impulsivity.

· Exogenous Obesity: as a short-term (i.e., a few weeks) adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on caloric restriction, for patients in whom obesity is refractory to alternative therapy, e.g., repeated diets, group programs, and other drugs.
There is currently no manufacturing shortage of Desoxyn. Desoxyn can be ordered by any retail pharmacy through their wholesale distributor. Please continue to work directly with your prescribing physician and pharmacy to ensure proper stocking based on a valid prescription. If a local pharmacy experiences difficulty ordering Desoxyn from their wholesaler, the pharmacy may call Recordati Rare Diseases’ customer service at 866-654-0539.

The Desoxyn Tablets Prescribing Information and Medication Guide are attached for your review .

For more information regarding Desoxyn, please contact Medical Information for Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc at (877) 394-4265. Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Kari Johnson, DVM
Medical Information
On behalf of Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.

Case # 1-37004389

References
1. Desoxyn [package insert]. Lebanon, NJ: Recordati Rare Diseases Inc.; December 2013.
Attached: Reference 1 and Medication Guide

So...I have nearly a different story for each interaction (save the pharmacists, who have maintained a united front in saying they cannot -- will not -- order it, it is OSI/on perpetual backorder/just unavailable), while I have it straight from the so-called horse's mouth that this is not the case. I've been unable to engender any cooperation between the two groups, despite repeated attempts both via phone and in person, to no avail.

I am an articulate, reasonable person, don't look like a junkie, prior to March of this year had no issues filling the exact prescription I'm trying to fill now, and have had [B]ZERO progress to date filling my legitimate prescription.

Any advice? *Anyone*...?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience in reading my missives....When unmedicated it's more difficult to focus,and I tend to over-write.

Seriously, if anyone sees this thread and has an answer (or even other trees to pi$$ on which I've overlooked, do not hesitate to contact me via reply or PM).

Very Sincerely,

~J

Netspionage
05-08-14, 10:56 AM
Update as of 05/08/2014:

The pharmacists at the local Wegmans pharmacy were, by far, THE most helpful of anyone I've come across so far: they even went so far as to get their wholesaler on the phone (McKesson), something which even Giant -- who I've been using for years -- declined to do.

In brief, they filled my prescription with the generic (Mylan), and I picked it up yesterday; it's definitely helping a bit (notably better than nothing at all), and I can concentrate and focus appropriately which is awfully nice, though subjectively, so far, it seems as if they're not as strong as the name brand, although that could entirely be psychosomatic, so only time will tell, along with feedback from those around me as to whether I seem more/less scattered than before.

The upshot of their phone call to McKesson was that the wholesaler should have it back in supply within a month; no explanation as to their being out of it, so that's all the information I've got.

I'm a little surprised that I've had so few responses on this thread; not sure if people are turned off by my (ADD-induced) over-writing, or if there's simply not a significant enough proportion of the ADD/ADHD population taking Desoxyn; regardless, I hope the information posted here proves helpful to someone, at some time in the future.

Anyone with any questions/feedback, feel free to message me/respond here, and I'll reply as soon as it's feasible.

Regards,

~J

JhanaJay
05-28-14, 12:12 PM
Hi Netspionage,

I read the entire thread, and it was quite irritating how the pharmacies behaved. I honestly wouldn't go back to any of them that refused to cooperate.

I think the likely reason you're not seeing a lot of posts is that very few people are on desoxyn. I suspect methamphetamine is a drug few doctors will prescribe, few pharmacies will fill, and even fewer insurance companies will pay for--perhaps due to stigma or bad experiences with illicit meth users.

However, I am interested in its use as a medication. But it's neurotoxicity (at least as reported by most sources) concerns me. How do you get around that? Is the reasoning that it isn't actually neurotoxic (which is very possible), or only so in repeat high doses?

I'm glad you finally got your medication. Cheers on not losing your cool or giving up.

FocusPocus10
06-02-14, 03:38 PM
That is outrageous but not surprising. Keep us posted, I am curious if the name brand desoxyn can still be obtained. Dealing with knock-off generics is not my thing.

Netspionage
06-11-14, 01:18 AM
First, apologies for the long turn-around time – I only recently checked this board, as I'd long ago given up any hope for a response, and have been very busy with RL-stuff, as well.

Hi Netspionage,

I read the entire thread, and it was quite irritating how the pharmacies behaved. I honestly wouldn't go back to any of them that refused to cooperate.

I couldn't agree more – it was INTENSELY frustrating, to put it mildly.

And, fwiw, while Giant *was* filling my prescriptions without hassle until recently (as I stated above ), as of now (June 2014) they remain unable to fill it with name brand (NB), offering only the Mylan generic, along with every other place I checked. Despite Recordati's statement which I've already detailed, NOBODY carries the NB of this med, offering only the Mylan generic instead :(

A special shout-out & kudos/big ups to Wegmans pharmacies for being hands-down THE most helpful, though eventually, even they were unable to fill it NB – only generic :(

They did give it a try, though, including spending a record amount of time working with me, and at least 15-20 minutes on hold w/their distributor, while Your Humble Narrator waited patiently. So, Wegmans lack of filling it isn't to be blamed on them, per se.

I think the likely reason you're not seeing a lot of posts is that very few people are on desoxyn. I suspect methamphetamine is a drug few doctors will prescribe, few pharmacies will fill, and even fewer insurance companies will pay for--perhaps due to stigma or bad experiences with illicit meth users.Please note I didn't have issues with my insurance company filling it – they were paying for it until it suddenly became unavailable in NB. Now that I've been getting it in generic, they're filling that sans complaint (for a whopping $10 USD copay, so, whatever).

That said, I understand and don't disagree with what you've said above; the reason my doctor was willing to prescribe it was because of a number of reasons, not the least of which being a lack of drug-abuse history on the part of YT (honest), and because I was on a higher dosage of Adderall (by weight) previously, so my actual overall intake of sympathomimetic amines is one-third to one-fourth of what it was before (slightly less in actual practice, and not counting drug-holidays). The other reason they were willing to prescribe it was because (at the time) getting *ANY* Adderall prescription filled was literally impossible, so they were willing to explore this as an alternative.

I understand many doctors might not be willing to do so, and it was likely only because they've been treating me for a long time, I've always been very up-front & honest with them about things, and have previously attempted non-sympathomimetic-amine solutions (e.g., Provigil & the like – more on that later). That I've been interested in reducing my daily intake of amphetamines is also likely a factor in their decision (though I cannot speak for them).

However, I am interested in its use as a medication. But it's neurotoxicity (at least as reported by most sources) concerns me. How do you get around that? Is the reasoning that it isn't actually neurotoxic (which is very possible), or only so in repeat high doses?In short, I suspect that the studies concerning the neurotoxicity of D-amphetamine w/a methyl group on it are based on people smoking/injecting staggering amounts, while I'm taking a tenth of that, and orally, to boot. To elaborate (the longer version follows)....

I suspect its actual neurotoxicity is exaggerated (definitely when it comes to regular, therapeutic dosing); from a chemistry standpoint, I fail to see how the addition of a methyl group makes D-amphetamine sooo much more toxic than regular D-amphetamine (aka dextroamphetamine; n.b., Adderall is simply half L-amphetamine aka amphetamine and half D-amphetamine aka Dextroamphetamine, with half of each, again, being as regular salts and aspartic acid salts et al).

This is to say, I suspect in a knock-down, drag-out fight over which is more neurotoxic in therapeutic doses, I think most SSRIs (e.g., Prozac) would likely win hands-down, with the latter being more neurotoxic than amphetamines, by weight in mg per kg, or by therapeutic dose – take your pick.

That said, I suspect anyone taking amphetamines – methyl group or not – in 'street' doses (forgive me, for I honestly don't know what the precise amounts would be, so I'm just throwing estimated numbers around), would find methamphetamine to be no less neurotoxic as the same weight of Dextroamphetamine: id est, I'd wager if someone bought a gram of so-called 'crystal meth', and were smoking or injecting say, a tenth of a gram (100mg) or more at a go, then, well, yes, odds are it WOULD be neurotoxic...Though I suspect 'smoking' the same amount (e.g., 50-100mg) of D-amphetamine would likely be just as rough on the brain...Same as taking acetominophen in large (1-2g) doses is likely just as hepatoxic if not more so than, say, the same amount by weight (1-2g) of pure ethanol; this is not to say that in therapeutic dosages, Tylenol is a drug which is to be avoided for fear of hepatoxicity: in regular/therapeutic dosages (>1gram), it's an effective NSAID & antipyretic.

In short, I find it hard to believe that my taking 10mg-30mg orally per diem (or less) of methyl D-amphetamine is more neurotoxic than 90-120mg of Adderall per diem: on the contrary, taking a fraction of the dose of what I'd ordinarily take is something much to be desired, as the smaller amount of any given drug which one can take and still have the desired effect is healthier, correct...?

Pardon the rant...Just trying to counter some of the fear-mongering which surrounds what I think is something which deserves some honest, unbiased attention as an effective ADHD/ADD med, and which I wish there wasn't so much negative bias around (/END RANT).

I'm glad you finally got your medication.Well, I haven't really – still unable to find it in NB – only the crappy generic, and to date, I've found the generics to be notably less effective, despite this being a drug I'd think hard to mess up, given that street-junkies are cooking it up in their garages...But whatever :\

On that note, the generics are DEFINITELY less effective than the NB...Though this missive isn't to be taken as a good example, as my meds wore off some time ago :D

Cheers on not losing your cool or giving up.Yeah, that's been difficult, particularly as I've been unable to actually get my scrips filled anywhere in NB. Unlike other people I've known, though, no, I haven't lost my cool & gone ADD-nutso on the unhelpful pharmacists (deserving of it or not) :D

Also, pardon the length of this rant – to paraphrase Pascal, 'I'd have made it shorter if I'd had more time' – the curse of the ADD-writer, as always.

If you have any suggestions as to where else to try & get my scrips filled, please do not hesitate to let me know; I'm all ears, believe me.

Very Sincerely,

~J

Netspionage
06-11-14, 01:37 AM
That is outrageous but not surprising. Keep us posted, I am curious if the name brand desoxyn can still be obtained. Dealing with knock-off generics is not my thing.

Well, sorry to say, but despite all assurances to the contrary, it would appear that, at least for those of us in the US, NB Desoxyn is Out Stock Indefinitely (OSI), with only the crappy generic as the alternative :(

Anyone with contrary information, please let me know ASAP, as despite everything I've done, I've been running head-long into the above :(

IME, generics are usually either so useless as to be a total waste of money, or – worse – have side effects due to impurities (anyone remember that pink Adderall...?) that actually make me sick – with those pink ones, I had headaches, nausea/vomiting/etcetera – likely because it was cheap Chinese crap, and probably 20% lead by weight...But I digress...

Seriously, though: anyone who says generics are the same as NB meds is either

A) ignorant of clinical pharmacology,
B) ignorant of chemistry/medicine in general, or
C) a shill for the drug companies.

I'm not wedded to any particular med merely because it's name-brand, but the plain fact is that the patents generally aren't all about the drug itself, but about the delivery-system of the drug, id est, actually getting it into the body properly.

Anyone willing to debate the above, just lemme know...And be sure & being along your chemistry degrees, and a bag for your metaphorical teeth, as that's a discussion I'm certain I can win, and not merely based off experience...Though there's enough people who've shared that experience to push the anecdotal past those bounds and into the scientifically admissible, I'd wager at this point.

~J

Netspionage
06-11-14, 11:38 AM
Something else worth mentioning is that, when all is said & done, I find the Mylan generic version of Desoxyn to be approximately HALF the strength of the name-brand and, while my doctor understands, having had numerous complaints about generics being weaker/worthless as compared to NB meds from not merely myself but other patients as well (according to what they've said), and would undoubtedly be willing to write me a prescription for twice the amount as I asked, I sincerely doubt that:

A) The Insurance wouldn't have a sh*t-fit over it (and refuse coverage);
B) The pharmacist would give me grief over filling it (having already been counseled before on the 'dangers of methamphetamine' by several when first filling my regular-sized prescription, and, last but not least,
C) That my doctor would likely get harassed by the DEA over writing an “excessive amount” or some similar BS.

Given the above, I've already discussed augmenting my current meds w/something like Dexedrine spansules (the time-release ones), which at least are better than IR Adderall IMNSHO, as they don't have as many of the peripheral nervous system (PNS) side-effects for me, which, from what I understand, is one of the reasons people take them illicitly (e.g., as “go pills”, a la the USAF).

Before I start a flame-war, I am NOT saying that those prescribed them for ADD take them for that reason, nor that they have the same effect for them (I know they don't affect me as they do 'normal', non-ADD people): I'm just saying I'd greatly prefer *not* to take them.

...Which brings this full circle, as my point was I was looking to take FEWER psycho-stimulants, not MORE, yet, thanks to our crappy medical establishment (and the seemingly inescapable fact that we're all here to act as welfare & profit-providers for big pharma), thanks to their crappy generics, I'm left with no choice but to go with taking more, rather than less :(

Feel free to comment on the above, and I'll do my best to check back here as often as is reasonably possible, given current RL concerns.

Sincerely,

~J

Sickle
06-14-14, 09:21 AM
I was on desoxyn during the shortage too and I had the brand one month and mylan the other two (60 mg). I also took the old gradumets (30 mg twice a day) when I was a teen for a few months. The pharmacies were completely nasty about it in most cases. I would have to bring in the prescription and then they would order it and personally I found dexedrine tablets to be the most effective. It is under the brand name Zenzedi now and goes from 2.5 mg to 30 mg doses and because of that the generic prices are insane (the lowest I was quoted was $500 for the 180 and the cheaper one from Mallinckrodt I needed 240 because of the timing I needed 4 doses).

Personally, I found the effects of this drug to be completely worthless for my hyperactivity and impulsivity. I have no real attention issues in the sense that I can't focus but more on planning and taking steps.

My insurance said that they wouldn't cover Dexedrine anymore but that Adderall, Ritalin and Desoxyn were options so I went with Adderall 30 mg 3 times a day and it is weaker that dexedrine but it seems to have some usefulness with the planning ahead part. All Desoxyn did was the same appetite loss deal and focus more. It did nothing to calm the hyperactivity at all.

asilaydying84
10-29-14, 09:27 PM
I live in Sarasota florida and there are like 200 pharmacies here. this state used to be the pain med capital of the world. hence all the pharmacies. only walgreens had it in stock and it was generic mylan methamphetamine. the pharmacist told me to call a week in advance for her to order more for me if I was to continue therapy.

ADHDBarbie
11-28-14, 07:23 PM
Netspionage,

After unwittingly insufficient research, I asked my doctor if I could try switching from Adderall to Desoxyn (*the reason I requested the change is why I did a happy dance when I read your post! but that comes later in the story). So my doctor obliged and I went on my merry way... Fifteen minutes later, merry went out the door when I learned from the dismayed CVS pharmacist that the medication I'd requested is a methamphetamine and that it was highly improbable any pharmacy would stock or order it for me. My wide eyed wonder, patience and naiveté softened her stance and in the end, she agreed to help me. Seven days and three pharmacies later, I was able to pick up the medication, albeit ultimately from a Walgreens.

I took advantage of the wait to detox from Adderall which, despite a decade of working well for me, I'd become increasingly convinced it was making me very, very susceptible to allergies... something I coined "running disease", but which is probably more accurately described as "exercise induced allergies". Basically, the combination of exercise and Adderall was sending the message to my immune system to overproduce histamines. Forgetting to pop some Allegra pre-workout or exposure to cats/dust/mold/pollen post workout meant four (always four!) miserable days of snot, tears, hives, itching...the works.

Now my troubles began about two years ago, which some may recognize as the time Adderall became available in generic... the Walgreens/CVS orange version and the little pink Costco version. Though the Costco version is half the cost of Walgreens/CVS, Costco is like a million miles away and pharmacy hours are incompatible with my schedule... which means I only guilt myself into purchasing there every second or third month. This most recent month happened to be one of them.

I had a race at the beginning of the month and like clockwork, I crossed the finish line, sneezed two hundred times in a row (okay, only 180 times), then wasted the next four days of my life. Ugh, I'd taken the all precautions I'd mastered, why the eff was I sick?! Four days later I was fine again, so the following weekend, my fiancé and I decided it was finally time to commingle our books (Yikes!). A few hours into unpacking, sorting and stacking... the tell tale signs of running disease surfaced yet again... only I hadn't been exercising, WHAT THE HELL. (My fiancé teased it was karma because I sandwiched his Goldwater book in between my Obama and Clinton books). Regardless, another four days shot.

Third week in, healthy again (though refusing to work out and giving Mr. Goldwater his own shelf), things started happening that had never happened before... sort of micro hallucinations of light flashes, vertigo and pervasive feelings of bugs crawling on my skin... and I mean PERVASIVE. (Part of managing my ADD and my allergies both, is keeping an extremely clean and organized home). One could eat off the floors in my house, but I spent a good day worrying I had bed bugs or lice or god knows what else. Ultimately, I took to Google and found the bug biting sensation has a name, formication. I about had a heart attack, when preliminary searches indicated formication could be a result of menopause. Ohmigod, I haven't even walked down the aisle yet. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formication).

In the interest of well, not totally losing the readers interest, I'm leaving out tons of supporting details (and attempting to infuse humor) on how I conducted my research and arrived at conclusions in all of the above scenarios (Adderall, Desoxyn, running disease, formication, etc), but know that I'm a reasonably objective, rational, and thoughtful researcher/problem solver. And aside from wildly exaggerated numbers, I'm not prone to dramatics =).

So why the happy dance?! Maybe its NOT Adderall, maybe its not even generic Adderall, maybe its that damn pink version from Costco??!! Netspionage, you have given me hope. Or at least validation in that you seem certain that they made you ill too. Are we the only ones?

Now that I've gone through all the trouble of obtaining Desoxyn (generic), I suppose I'll still give it a try. But if its not merry making, maybe all I really need to do is avoid Costco's (lead infused?!) faux adderall. Umm (gulp), did you write lead in jest or do you have real reason to suspect that ingredient?

For the record, I am not a recreational user/abuser of Adderall (or any substance). Just 20mg a day, swallowed with a large glass of water every morning to help with my ADD.

Thanks for sharing.

~ADHDBarbie

The only generic worse, in my experience, is CorePharma – the company that made those pink Adderalls – the ones which I became physically ill from (id est, nausea, vomiting, headache, etcetera – and while I'm aware those things fall within the adverse/side effects spectrum of Adderall itself, they've NEVER been an issue for me with the name brand, or even with most of the generics: just those terrible pink ones). I think they were likely made in China, and about 20% lead.