View Full Version : Curious Legalese

Baal Moom
04-22-14, 12:08 PM
I actually read part of the user agreement that came with the update to my Intel HD graphic driver, and came upon this clause:

"The Software may contain the software or other property of third party suppliers, some of which may be identified in, and licensed in accordance with, any enclosed "license.txt" file or other text or file."

Do I understand this correctly: my graphics driver may come with unspecified, not easily detectable third party programmes? Moreover, is it possible, as unlikely as it sounds, that it wouldn't contain the driver at all?

I may look up the driver folder later, if there is such, to see whether I can see if I have downloaded surprises.

namazu
04-22-14, 12:13 PM
A lot of things are possible, but I think the most likely explanation is that Intel may have licensed some third-party technology as a component of their software (e.g. some bit of code someone else had patented, but that Intel wanted/needed to make their graphics driver work).

Check out the license.txt file to see if they mention specifics.

Are you downloading from a reputable source?

Baal Moom
04-22-14, 12:39 PM
I downloaded it, seemingly, from Intel's website. Of course I thought of the most extreme option first, but I suppose the licence text does seem to imply that what I suggested is possible?

Oh, and White Devils from outer space killed Malcolm X on contract from the Zimbabwean government. Didn't they? Anyway, I'll read license.txt the moment I've figured out where it is...