View Full Version : Question about memory retention?

MasturB
04-22-14, 09:29 AM
Hello,

I'm Jeff, 23 year old male.

I have a problem with memory retention in relation to books, and now I can notice it's starting to have an effect on remembering things that interest me (names of songs, tv show plots, etc). I've tried reading books, but it won't retain. I can read the same chapter and pages over and over and over, and it still will not sink in and stay. It's become a common occurrence for even things that interest me, which is troubling me.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism graves' disease at 8. From K-9 my grades were exceptional. The decline in my academics started around 10th grade or age 14/15. That's when I began to notice a serious problem with my memory retention and lack of focus when it came to literature, history. Math has always been a strong suit of mine, and it's one of the only things I can still do efficiently without problem.

Because of my academic decline, I was somewhat depressed and had to drop out of high school because of the embarrassment of not being able to succeed. I didn't want to barely pass, so I decided to just drop it.

The lack of memory retention has started to creep up on my everyday life and small things.

I'm not sure if this is attributed to add/adhd.

Although there is one thing I noticed. When I was younger, I could listen to music (at a low volume) and read a book at the same time with no issue, now it seems like I hear the music more than I can read. I also find myself watching TV, and looking at the TV seeing what's on the TV but then my mind is wandering thinking about a song or something else very random.

I spoke with someone that said I might possible have add/adhd. My question is, on most things I don't appear to be that distracted. On things that involve physical labor, I can kind of zone in on doing the task at hand without any problem or fear of loafing around. Mowing the grass, cleaning the house, etc. When I'm doing something like that, my brain can zone-in on those tasks.

It's just reading a book or an article, that seems to be something that has declined over the years. I want to go back and continue my studies (I did obtain the GED, but I want to go to college), but the biggest qualm I had about going back to school was the retention and learning problem. I loved academics when I was younger, it's only when the retention problems I loathed going to class, which basically made me go to sleep and then skip school to get away from it. Even math become somewhat difficult (not challenging, but difficult).

Hopefully someone can shed some light for me, so maybe I can pursue getting treatment for this if I have it.