View Full Version : George Lucas' "THX-1138"

chinato
03-26-05, 08:20 AM
Would like to start a discussion on the above film made in the 1970's. Anyone seen it?

witsend
03-26-05, 12:49 PM
Never heard of it . Tell me more....

Trooper Keith
03-26-05, 02:18 PM
I'm looking it up on imdb now...

Trooper Keith
03-26-05, 02:21 PM
I'm failing to see how the plot relates to ADHD, as such I'm moving this post to Chit-Chat, it doesn't belong in General ADD Discussion.

chinato
03-26-05, 05:22 PM
The film is set in the future, where everyone has to be medicated to alter their moods in order to perform their role in society.

Certain pills for certain dilemnas. To make you work without questioning what you are doing. To make you be in a relationship where you will procreate.

The people are "controlled" by robot policeman who are under the rule of machines which the people operate.

If people start to come off the drugs, chose to not take the drugs, they fail in their role in society and are taken away for 're-education'.

Moreover if they do not comply with the role in society they are sent out into 'white space' where they are left lost, confused, alienated and in danger.

Quite a few correlations to add in there IMHO. It is a great film, set in a minimalist white underground hydro - seventies style. I think it was re-released last year on dvd.

George Lucas & Francis Ford Copolla were both involved.

I typed in THX 1138 and ADHD into google and got this
http://www.myparentime.com/articles/04/article377c.shtml
My perception of the film is in opposition with the way it has been used in this article. I am not opposed to the use of Ritalin in children - I am opposed to a society that cannot cater for children (therefore adults) with the symptoms of ADD ADHD.

If the education system doesn't suit some children, why force them to enrol? I'm going to try and find a better article...

Unfortunately a lot of the articles relating ADHD to this film are dissing the use of medicating children (fair enough) but do not offer alternatives as to how these children should cope.

There's 148 websites listed here http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=THX-1138+ADHD&meta= in relation to the film and ADHD.

But hey don't listen to them watch the film and lets get a discussion going!

stori813
04-07-05, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine was just telling me about this film.
I have to see if I can rent it this weekend.

stori813
04-10-05, 01:17 AM
So far no luck finding this movie any where to rent.
One of the Blockbusters I went to only had it to buy.

stori813
04-18-05, 06:19 PM
Finally found a place that had this movie to rent.
Watched it twice. Once with the commentary.

greytgang
04-18-05, 09:30 PM
Not only I've seen I have it on DVD.

Alexandra