View Full Version : adhd driving question

karencm
04-23-14, 10:48 AM
im new so please go easy on me:D im concerned for my ds who is nearly 19 he has been driving just over a year (hes on meds 72mg concerta xl) but hes quite anxious when driving. he will only drive to work and back! same route! i have tried to get him to drive elsewhere but he wont:confused: im worried hes missing out on things with friends :( i dont know how to help him! any advise would be great:)

dvdnvwls
04-23-14, 12:26 PM
Hello - I promise to go easy on you - welcome! :)

Do a lot of other things make him anxious too, or is it just the driving?

CrazyLazyGal
04-23-14, 12:32 PM
I got my license at 17 but was too afraid to drive on highways until 23. Now I'm okay, but it took so long to get over the fear.

It may be helpful to find out what he's afraid of. Is he afraid of getting lost? If so, then make sure he has a GPS. Is he afraid of other cars? Then practicing when there aren't many cars around might be helpful.

someothertime
04-23-14, 12:38 PM
reasoning/talking will not really get results...

troubleshoot alternatives for transport and find the root of his fear/jitteryness ( as dvd inquired about )

most likely small trips, meds timing, non driving "focus" practise can all help to get him more confident with applying in a calmer more directed way.

dvdnvwls
04-23-14, 12:38 PM
I am slow to get used to new things in my life. I tend to have the attitude "Just let me be, I'll get used to it on my own time". If finally having him able to drive himself everywhere is the linch-pin in making your family's day-to-day life workable, then I guess you'd really be hoping to find a way through the anxiety as quickly as possible... otherwise, why not just leave it to him?

Young men eventually find a good reason they need to get somewhere. :)

karencm
04-23-14, 01:22 PM
Hello - I promise to go easy on you - welcome! :)

Do a lot of other things make him anxious too, or is it just the driving?

mainly driving but he does get anxious if i would forget to tell him about maybe an appointment he likes to know well in advance what hes doing he doesnt like things sprung on him.

Lunacie
04-23-14, 01:56 PM
I took driver's ed at age 14 but didn't do much driving until I was 19.

I'm 63 now and still have moments behind the wheel when I wonder if I'm old enough to drive on the highway. :scratch:

karencm
04-23-14, 04:18 PM
I took driver's ed at age 14 but didn't do much driving until I was 19.

I'm 63 now and still have moments behind the wheel when I wonder if I'm old enough to drive on the highway. :scratch:

this made me laugh :D

Stevuke79
04-23-14, 04:38 PM
I started driving at 30. I was also anxious for the first few years. If it were my DS I would tell him hat you told us and ask if there were any way you could help or of he might like lessons.

I was terrified to drive for the longest time. I only got my license when we bought a house and moved to the suburbs. Lessons were great.

But anyway my point is, if he's happy, then you should be happy. If he's not, and if he sees this as a problem, then thats a different story.

sarahsweets
04-24-14, 05:21 AM
My son is 18 and only been driving for about 10 months. He was also nervous to go very far and although he played the part of the teenager who wants to take Dad's car out on a saturday night he was actually more comfortable walking around town for while. What changed this for him was his job at a haunted house over the bridge in PA. He had to drive home late at night with tons of deer and cops looking for drunk drivers. He got really skilled really quick. It killed me to worry and wait for him and I never fully relaxed until he was home. Thank god that job was only a month and a half.