View Full Version : Any runners here?

TygerSan
04-24-14, 02:41 PM
I started running last August, and to my surprise have actually taken a liking to it, more than any other sport except perhaps swimming (getting into the pool is always the hardest part for me).

To date I've run a handful 5Ks and one 10K race. I seem to have found myself looking down the barrel of a 12 miler as my one-year anniversary :eek:

I'm not particularly fast, so the 3 hr time limit for completion seems...challenging.

Would *love* some virtual running buddies as I embark on this adventure.

sarahsweets
04-25-14, 04:24 AM
Hey Tyger! I am not quite a runner. I work out at the gym everyday and I am slow as hell. My knee has been acting up. I started using the treadmill for my cardio about 6 weeks ago. At first I aimed for just 30 minutes and then I aimed for a least 2 miles. I keep a really fast walking pass interchanging with the running. I still feel so slow. I think my best (if you can even call it that) was 2.25 miles in 30 minutes which is really really a snails pace. I hope to get faster to compete in a 5k. I was always athletic but I played sports instead of something like cross country and I always hated running. Now I love the treadmill. I hope to read tips from you!

TygerSan
04-27-14, 07:29 AM
Run walk intervals is definitely the way to start. I can now run over 3 miles continuously but when I started I was walking for like 90 seconds and running for 30, gradually increasing the run times.

I am still not fast but am working on distance.

You are a better person than me if you can regularly do 2 miles on the treadmill! I got shin splints on the treadmill worse than when I run outside. I can't watch tv or do much else besides concentrate on not running off either edge of the treadmill either. :doh:

I ran through the insane winter no problem but am actually more concerned about the extreme heat of summer rather than the cold of winter. I hate the heat but am signed up for 3 races this summer, including the 12 miler in August. Guess I'll have to get used to it.