View Full Version : 200mg per day?

pishta
04-25-14, 10:55 PM
Hi. Im new to the forum. Recently dx with add as an adult. So I took the advice of my neurologist and began Strattera. 40mg x 5 days. He wants me to go to 200mg on day 6. I know nothing about this drug. Seems unusual and high. I'm 6'4 240# any thoughts? Thanks so much:confused:

sbcy
04-29-14, 12:33 AM
Hi. Im new to the forum. Recently dx with add as an adult. So I took the advice of my neurologist and began Strattera. 40mg x 5 days. He wants me to go to 200mg on day 6. I know nothing about this drug. Seems unusual and high. I'm 6'4 240# any thoughts? Thanks so much:confused:

200mg of Strattera sounds insane. Especially for day 6! I would make sure there wasn't some miscommunication taking place. 40 mg Strattera is too high to start at in my opinion, check with your current doctor or get a second opinion.

My doctor started me at 25mg for 5 days, then 40mg for 5 days and now 60mg for 5 days. until I finally get to 80mg.

someothertime
04-29-14, 05:25 AM
I think he might have misinterpreted the dosage guidelines... and it probably should be 40mg for five days then increase... ( to 60 )...

cdc482
05-13-14, 09:03 PM
My doc started me on 40mg and said to go up to 80mg on week 2.

jman05
06-14-14, 11:41 AM
That's so crazy you could probably sue him if that dosage messed you up somehow. 100 is max. I even had brutal side effects at 80. Most doctors are stupid. I had one try to tell me strattera was a controlled substance. I disagreed and then he eventually discovered I was right. And I was paying him!

lavita_bella
06-17-14, 03:56 PM
Go to a psychiatrist-- doctors know nothing about psych meds, I know this from first-hand experience and almost having a seizure.

Lunacie
06-17-14, 04:09 PM

O.M.G.!!!

I'm very glad you questioned this dosing.

After two to four weeks, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 100 mg in patients who have not received optimal response.
http://www.drugs.com/dosage/atomoxetine.html

(takes a breath and calms down)

Okay, the reason for starting with a low dose and increasing more slowly is to minimize any unwanted side effect.
Whatever side effect you feel on 40 mg will be much-much worse when you double to 80 unless you've taken the time to adjust to small increases.