View Full Version : Any tips for going to big events?

Nibs91
04-26-14, 12:32 PM
I have a function to go to tonight. There's gonna be about 75 people there, and I know most of them. But I'm still nervous as hell because I've been in social recluse lately.

Does anyone have any tips to maintain a level head? It's the anticipation 1 to 2 hours before I go that really drains me out. Heart starts racing, I get jittery, and my mind races but doesn't really work properly.

I'll try anything....and I mean anything!

:thankyou:

vpilar
04-26-14, 12:50 PM
I would do this:
Predict what the people might ask me and prepare the answer I wanna give them. (probably more than one answer for the questions that are insanely common like:
how are you?
how is it going?
how is your work going?
you're enjoying the weather huh?

And also I would prepare some followups for the common statements that people make like: what a nice dress!
Yeah I have been recently so busy with school/work
It's very hot/cold outside/inside!
Yeah, I think Christina Ronaldo played very bad/good!

Rehearsing and memorizing the answers for the predicted statements, would help refreshing my mind in terms of what should and should not be said.

However, I'm usually too lazy to INITIATE doing all this. So I have an alternative which helps a lot:
I would tell myself that think you're an actor and supposed to act like a regular, typical, happy lady. It usually helps a lot :)
Also don't forget a smily face! fake smiles are even better!

Oh god! now I feel sick! these stupid humans!...

Oh BTW: I saw a presentation with this title: fake it till you make it
That helped me. the content was that, if you're not confident enough for a presentation or something, just fake being confident. Nobody would know the difference, and after a while that really affects your confidence.

tryn-optmsm
04-26-14, 01:16 PM
Nibs :

Back in the days when I had a social life

-- I'd offer to wash dishes ('cause my brain goes into overload and need the time alone)
-- I'd say I have to go out and get something from ---wherever---
-- Tell myself in advance that I have to leave early; make sure host/whomever sees me, I chat with them and then if i want I can leave

stef
04-26-14, 06:53 PM
there are enough people for you to be "invisible".
you can leave the room if you feel overwhelmed. wander off where it's quiet, and pretend to text someone.

Nibs91
05-11-14, 01:11 PM
I would do this:
Predict what the people might ask me and prepare the answer I wanna give them. (probably more than one answer for the questions that are insanely common like:
how are you?
how is it going?
how is your work going?
you're enjoying the weather huh?

And also I would prepare some followups for the common statements that people make like: what a nice dress!
Yeah I have been recently so busy with school/work
It's very hot/cold outside/inside!
Yeah, I think Christina Ronaldo played very bad/good!

Rehearsing and memorizing the answers for the predicted statements, would help refreshing my mind in terms of what should and should not be said.

However, I'm usually too lazy to INITIATE doing all this. So I have an alternative which helps a lot:
I would tell myself that think you're an actor and supposed to act like a regular, typical, happy lady. It usually helps a lot :)
Also don't forget a smily face! fake smiles are even better!

Oh god! now I feel sick! these stupid humans!...

Oh BTW: I saw a presentation with this title: fake it till you make it
That helped me. the content was that, if you're not confident enough for a presentation or something, just fake being confident. Nobody would know the difference, and after a while that really affects your confidence.

I try to do this a lot...rehearsing conversations way before they actually come up. But when it actually comes down to it I freeze up and say something stupid.

I'm a boss at fake smiles though :D I got that covered a long time ago. But smiles don't help much when I'm genuinely trying to have a fruitful conversation.

Nibs :

Back in the days when I had a social life

-- I'd offer to wash dishes ('cause my brain goes into overload and need the time alone)
-- I'd say I have to go out and get something from ---wherever---
-- Tell myself in advance that I have to leave early; make sure host/whomever sees me, I chat with them and then if i want I can leave

I do this too....I offer to help even if it's not necessary. It's an easy way to occupy myself. But I try not to leave early....it's so much harder for me to say bye to a lot of people. I always end up waiting till the lights are about to go out to leave; that way most people said bye TO me and all that's left is me saying bye to the hosts.

there are enough people for you to be "invisible".
you can leave the room if you feel overwhelmed. wander off where it's quiet, and pretend to text someone.

I try my best to be invisible....but this time I knew most of the people very well. I do not like pulling my phone out, I feel like it's the rudest thing ever to be texting or looking at FB when around friends and family. :(

Anyway thanks all for your replies! I know it's an extremely late reply on my part, I am sorry. The event ended up just like I thought....many awkward instances the first couple of hours. Then when the night went on and people trickled out it got much better, and I actually ended up going with a good group to their house to continue the fun with a bonfire. :D