View Full Version : Unnamed learning disability?

midnightstar
04-26-14, 05:16 PM
Is there such a thing? I've got a letter from the mental health team saying I've got a learning disability but they don't say what the learning disability is :scratch:

ginniebean
04-26-14, 09:05 PM
My guess is you need to phone and ask them. Demand answers, self advocate. You need the information more than they do.

Fortune
04-26-14, 10:13 PM
Also, learning disability in the UK means something different than it does in the US. I think in the UK they refer to things like dyslexia as "specific learning disability." But I'm not positive.

meadd823
04-27-14, 12:38 AM
I wonder if Canada is different than the UK and the US - being from different countries can be confusing in the strangest ways.

TygerSan
04-27-14, 07:10 AM
The way I've seen the term learning disability used in the UK is more in line with the term developmental or intellectual disability in the US. But we live in such a global world, it's hard to tell which connotation was intended.

Fuzzy12
04-27-14, 09:44 AM
Ask them star. Also have they suggested anything terms of treatment, management or anything about v what to do next?

someothertime
04-27-14, 10:57 AM
I dunno, here, such a letter is used to submit to administration of institutions and whatnot..... Could be misinterpreting where it came from... or it's purpose...

So for privacy reasons they deliberately generalise the specifics in letters?

midnightstar
04-27-14, 02:25 PM
All I know is I've been given to another mental health team for people with learning disabilities and if I need anything I got to contact them:?

daveddd
04-27-14, 06:42 PM
they gave you no details or consequences of it?

midnightstar
04-28-14, 03:44 AM
They sent me an outline of what i need which i already knew but nothing else

Diony
04-28-14, 06:59 PM
I was diagnosed with a learning disability too and it wasnt broken down to what kind but i will have answers in a few months!

Chicky75
04-28-14, 09:56 PM
All I know is I've been given to another mental health team for people with learning disabilities and if I need anything I got to contact them:?

I wonder if they mean for you to contact this new team to get a more specific diagnosis? Maybe they suspect a learning disability but don't have the expertise to figure out which one?