View Full Version : requiem for a dream

yupyup1128
03-26-05, 05:58 PM
This is a film review i wrote and have to hand into class soon,, its not completely done but id like if someone could read it and tell me wut u think

“Requiem for a Dream” directed by Darren Aronofsky is a film which aims straight for the heart, stabs it, and twists repeatedly. As the characters fall deeper into a helpless state of physical and moral decay due to their delusions and addictions, I couldn’t help but feel emotionally connected to the characters and trapped in their world. Never has a film grabbed my attention with revolutionary film techniques, spectacular acting, and realistic plotting. The screaming reality of this film is captivating, and when it ended I felt speechless, disturbed, and unable to bring forth my concluded thoughts. You just can’t take your eyes off the screen as the four lives are descending into the relentless depths of addiction. Although I was initial disturbed by the movie I really enjoyed it, the way it completely draws you in affects your mind, body, and soul… similar to the effects of their addictions. Addicts and non-addicts alike should see this film that exposes the darkest, twisted, depths that addicts reside in for an enlightening experience.
Sara Goldfarb, played by Ellen Burstyn (Cross the Line), is an old lady who is lonely and addicted to her television set and infomercials. She dreams of being famous after receiving a phone call saying she has been selected to be on television. After discovering she couldn’t fit into her red dress she decided to diet. An uninventive doctor prescribes her diet pills, which are actually speed, and so starts her drug addiction with prescription drugs, and obsession with being on television. The film also depicts the parallel lives of three Coney Island dreamers determined to “live the good life”. Sara Goldfarb’s son Harry Goldfarb, played by Jared Leto (American Psycho), along with his deviant girlfriend Marion Silver, played by Jennifer Connelly, (A Beautiful Mind), and friend Tyrone C. Love, played by Marlon Wayans (Scary Movie), soon find themselves spiraling helplessly out of control when their indulgence in drugs leads to addiction.

This film has no dull moments, the end of the movie was by far the most moving and effective aspect. On the verge of total psychosis Sara Goldfarb is fidgeting around in her chair in front of the television, paranoid, thin, and sickly looking. Suddenly the host of the infomercial appears in the living room, and then a younger, sexier Sara Goldfarb in the red dressed appears too. They are making fun of her, and then her and her chair are in the center of the infomercial studio surround by people laughing at her and dancing and pointing. She can’t take anymore then the refrigerator starts to come to life, and she insanely runs out of her apartment in a moo moo during the winter. In end she’s taken to a hospital; clearly out of her mind, and hopes she will be the same are slim. The one scene that really blew my mind was when Marion had just sold her body, by performing degrading sexual activities with another woman in front of dirty men, for a bag of heroin. As she walks out the door of the apartment, into the elevator, and down to the street; one can't help but feel the characters disgust with herself, filthy to the core, what it must feel like at rock bottom.