View Full Version : 5 days left... Can I do it?

eats_mice
04-28-14, 11:03 AM
I have 5 days left at college, but I don't think I can do it. I didn't even make it through this morning without breaking down because of a situation with my taxes. I'm under way too much stress right now...

I feel like any little thing is gonna make me explode, and I have NO ONE to talk to about it.

This place touts about their great community, but I don't even have any friends here... Hopefully I won't blow up today at work, like I did on Thursday.

Twiggy
04-28-14, 11:28 AM
You're doing great! You have college and a job, not many people can fo that, especially with ADHD.
Keep truckin'!

dvdnvwls
04-28-14, 03:16 PM
1. Yes, you can do it, somehow, with creativity and thought, and especially by losing some fear.

2. In these five days, we on the forum are only the smallest kind of help to you; you are going to truly need the help of the real-life people around you. First, if at all possible, get the taxes off your back by making a deal with someone else to fix it for you, so you don't have to do anything about the taxes anymore. If you have to pay the person who does this, fine, pay them. Second, in school and work, think carefully in each little situation of "Who actually might have the power to help me?" - and go to that person and ask for help. It's potentially embarrassing to do so, but failing or having blow-ups is a worse situation and a worse embarrassment... and in fact most people with the power to help are glad to do so.

execfunc
04-29-14, 01:00 AM
Hi, eats_mice. I'm in the same situation. I'm in the last week of my senior year struggling fiercely to wrap up my final projects. I'm also trying to get ready for international travel on Saturday, to prepare for the start of grad school in July, and a return to my old job in June. Additionally, I have some health issues I'm trying to figure out and address before leaving town. In the midst of all this, it seems like every time I turn around, there's a new crisis, someone needs something from me, or a new to-do item is added to the list I can't get done anyway.

This is the first time since I've been treating my ADHD that I've felt that old "Screw this, I'm outta here" impulse. It really scared me until I was able to put it into perspective. This is just life. Normal people go through this with the benefit of long experience and optimally working executive functions. For us, it's extremely overpowering, even with effective medication. So, anyway, I know I'm going to make it, but I'm just so incredibly exhausted and stressed out, which isn't healthy. I'm hoping that, with experience, times like this won't be so overwhelming and stressful.

Hang in there. I'm in the same place.