View Full Version : Eyes feel like they're still "looking" even when closed?

cms2275
04-28-14, 07:09 PM
I've noticed lately that when I lay down to go to sleep and I close my eyes, that I feel like my eyes are still focusing or "looking" through my eyelids as if they were open.

Even though my eyes are closed, underneath my eyelids my eyes are still "alert", moving around, unrelaxed. I can't keep my eyes closed for long before I have a strong urge to open them. It's almost as if my eyes are restless and want to keep looking at things and focusing on things even though my eyes are closed and I can't actually see anything.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a "thing" with a name?

Could it just be that I am taking my adderall too late in the day? Even when I take my medication with enough time for it to wear off for bed I have trouble falling asleep and regularly get only 3-5 hours of sleep a night.

BellaVita
04-28-14, 07:12 PM
I get this too! My guess is it's just a part of ADHD.

Greyhound1
04-28-14, 07:36 PM
I get them too. Especially, when I am still keyed up about something. I can feel my eyes move when they are shut and I am visualizing something while trying to go to sleep. They will move with the action in my thoughts.

I am not trying to change the topic but does anyone see a flash of light when they are startled with eyes closed? This happens to me. A loud unexpected noise looks like a flash of lightening when attempting to sleep.

Karamo
04-29-14, 01:03 PM
Got it as well!

Funny thing is that, when I realize that I am falling asleep (i.e my thoughts stop making sense and my "in-head stories" start to feel "real") my eyes, behind my eyelids feel as if they've "fallen" into a deeper, more relaxed position. Once that happens I must focus all that I can on keeping that feeling as well as moving further with my "head stories". If I stray for just a milisecond, I am wide-awake again -_-; Feel kind of ****ty that passing from almost-sleep to full-sleep is not about relaxation, but about effort...

Corina86
04-30-14, 01:11 PM
I get that too. Alert eyes are a sign of an alert mind, which is pretty much the definition of adhd.

OhLookABunny
09-23-14, 12:34 PM
I guess it is a thing! ;) I've had it since childhood. I would see eidetic stuff too, lying there in the dark behind my closed eyelids. A frequent example was these little circular things - it was like a ragged-edged galaxy, sort of, and some of them were tinted red or green or blue - the entire formation would just drift across my field of vision. It was also fun to look through my eyelids during the daytime and see the reddish color and other colors floating around! :giggle:

Sometimes I would see more geometric and brighter-colored eidetic formations. When I was 32, I experienced my first migraine (thanks, Dad's DNA! :p) with an aura preceding it, and ever since then I get the jiggy-jaggy things and tunnel vision if I have a migraine with aura. Most of my migraines are optically stimulated - I have to avoid glare like the devil. :eek: Sometimes I wear two pairs of sunglasses - over my regular eyeglasses - while driving on really bright days!

Corina86
09-24-14, 09:30 AM
I've noticed that, related to this, I'm having another stranger symptom: I squeeze my eyelids very hard until I fall asleep. I often see flashing lights before falling asleep and I realized that I'm causing them by squeezing my eyes! I don't know how to stop doing this...