View Full Version : Focalin stopped working

Firemade
04-28-14, 08:49 PM
Recently Ive noticed that Focalin's adverse effects are stronger but its therapeutic effects are weaker. When I take it the usual way (that has worked) I still have lifted mood and energy, but become very anxious with racing thoughts. I cant zoom in on work and keep getting distracted by my thoughts. This is as opposed to it slowing me down, allowing me to focus on whatever is in front of me. Is this tolerance to the medication and sensitization to side effects? I have been taking it for 2 months now; currently on 30 mg XR prescribed.

Hope someone can help me. TUMs, alkaseltzer, etc. make it worse and unbearable.

Cheers!

USMCcop
04-28-14, 09:05 PM
I'm confused, "taking it the normal way???" It sounds like your dose is too high as you're very anxious, etc.

What dose were you on when you felt "slowed down" and focused?

Using antacids make it stronger.

Firemade
04-28-14, 09:22 PM
My prescription was recently upped to 30 mg XR as the 20mg XR did little to nothing. The first week with the 30mgs was very good, but after that this problem popped up.

By "regular way" I just meant to say that I'm not taking it any differently - in the morning with food.

USMCcop
04-28-14, 09:40 PM
I'm stumped. Sounds like it worked good for a week, but then the other stuff popped up. That "other stuff" sounds like the dose is too high.

sarahsweets
04-29-14, 04:18 AM
Are you certain it doesnt work anymore? I am of the belief that the tolerance factor that people always talk about is a little overplayed. It sounds like its just not the right class of med for you. Have you considered amphetamines?