View Full Version : If you like Cylert, you'd better stock up fast!

Gregster
03-26-05, 08:51 PM
Cylert is done too - combination of calls for it's ban along with declining sales, kill premoline - Abbott discontinues it!

http://www.saukvalley.com/news/291513096153499.bsp

Declining sales; ADHD drug to be discontinued

Published: Saturday, March 26, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) A drug that has been used for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder for 30 years is being discontinued.

The consumer group Public Citizen petitioned the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday, asking the agency to ban pemoline, also sold under the trade name Cylert, because of reported cases of liver damage in users.

Abbott Laboratories, the manufacturer of Cylert, said it is already planning to discontinue the drug because of declining sales.

Pemoline was approved in 1975. Since then other drugs, including generics, have become available to treat ADHD. Cylert sales were less than $1 million last year.

The company said letters advising physicians that the drug is being discontinued will go out within two months, and they will be given time to change patients to other drugs.

In its petition, Public Citizen said the drug has been withdrawn in the United Kingdom and Canada and carries two separate label warnings in this country.

Between the 1975 approval and 1996, there were 193 adverse drug reactions involving the liver ascribed to pemoline, including 13 cases of acute liver failure, Public Citizen said.

GuitarBritanica
03-31-05, 07:46 AM
my favorite part Abbott Laboratories, the manufacturer of Cylert, said it is already planning to discontinue the drug because of declining sales.

haha dont you kinda get the vizulation of some balding overweight CEO in his chair smokin a cigar, visible pit sweat. then he gets a call about Cylert gettin taken off, an thats where he says

" mehhh the hell with it, wernt making enough money in the first place
"

Kentm0300
03-31-05, 11:12 AM
There have been hundreds more adverse reactions to nicotine, even aspirin, since '75.
The reaction that made the difference? Fewer people are buying it. Profits are down.

Gregster
03-31-05, 07:17 PM
AND lawsuits are up.
Liability is gonna be a big concern for any product that is seriously hepatoxic - or has the potential to be in certain people.

KarmicWhiplash
10-23-05, 07:53 AM
This whole controlled substance issue is getting out of control. You really want to ban a killer, ban nicotein. Im not worried about steroids or ephedrine or cylert or any of the other controlled substances. Im more concerned with growing health care taxes due to rising emphasima and lung/oral/lymph/ect/ect/ect cancer. :eek: my 2 cents...
P.S. I have already switched to longer lasting ridaline. Not to pleased but Ill try anything once.

Braack
12-13-05, 04:18 AM
I don't think its that it is a controlled substance. The problem with this medication is

that it is causing liver damage in patients. Liver failure and etc. I wouldn't want that

happening to me.