View Full Version : I have changed my major so many times

TheatreKid
04-30-14, 05:09 PM
I have either officially changed or thought about and decided to change my major so many times.

I started off in Social Sciences with the intention of studying psychology. Once I actually got to school and saw what was available, it was like overload and I looked into or actually changed my major to Social Work/Nursing/Anthropology/Archaeology/Multimedia/Nursing again/Aboriginal Studies/Religious Studies/Psychology again/Music/Theatre, and finally settled on a combined Honours degree in Music and Theatre. Luckily the only ones I was ever officially enrolled in were Psychology, Multimedia, and Music/Theatre, or else I would have been kicked out for not being able to decide. But since I've been struggling in university for so many years, I'm planning on transferring to college to get practical training as a Child and Youth Worker, and I hope I can involve music and theatre in that job. Providing I make it through college. I feel like practical training will suit me better than university.

Is this inability to focus on one major common in ADHD? I get hyperfocused on one major for a little while, then that passes and I get bored and hyperfocus on the next major. I'm worried that I'll never get a degree because I can't settle on something. Every time I bring a new idea to my parents they're like "uh huh, ok. If you say so." I try so hard to stick with it but I just can't.

dvdnvwls
04-30-14, 05:34 PM
The constant switching is a total ADHD stereotype, unfortunately, yes.

TheatreKid
04-30-14, 05:50 PM
I've wanted an explanation for why I do that for so long. I feel like no one will ever take me seriously.

Is the fear I'll never be able to stick with something long enough to get a degree a legitimate fear? Is there anything I can do to help myself?