View Full Version : Agoraphobia

vampirekitti
05-01-14, 11:50 AM
I was agoraphobic when I was 13-14 years old. I was picked on ALOT at school and I think that had something to do with it. I think was afraid that whenever I left my house, someone I know from school, who didn't like me, would see me, or that I would just run into someone who I didn't know who would suddenly not like me and want to harm me in some way (because I held the belief that I was just not a likeable person due to all this bullying that was going on). I think it went away because I started going back out with my friends again and I grew confident in myself again or possibly because I started medication. (I do have PTSD caused by a traumatic event when I was 16 but I still had enough of a social life I guess to not fall in this trap again.)

I am now feeling agoraphobic again at nearly 21 years old. But it's not for entirely the same reasons. I am not picked on at school, but I do still feel self conscious. When I am out, I feel like somebody is watching my every move. I thought it was the Vyvanse causing it because I know amphetamines can cause paranoia. But I've been off it for weeks now (I'm off school until next week) and the feelings have only gotten worse. I have a panic attack every time I try to leave the house. I am going to talk to my therapist but I just wanted to hear what others have to say as well. In the meantime, I have increased my Cymbalta dose (because that is the amount I am prescribed anyway). And if you're wondering, I haven't had a whole lot of time for going out with friends because I am constantly busy with school work. Thanks in advance.

Corina86
05-19-14, 06:32 AM
Hi! Sorry for the late post...

I don't have agoraphobia, but I do have high anxiety and panic attacks and, very often, they're caused by social situations. I've been in the exact same situation as you in school and, just like you, it made me never want to leave the house out of fear of being bullied or embarrassed. I also got over it, in most part, but there are always new reasons to have anxiety, if you're predisposed to that: exams, school projects, presentations, parties, work, health issues, family issues etc.

You say you have been constantly busy with school work; could the stress possibly be making your anxiety worse? Or another even your life? You don't necessarily have to be bullied again to relive those feelings...

Since you posted this half of month ago: did you talk to your therapist? Are you feeling better?

sarahsweets
05-20-14, 04:48 AM
I developed agoraphobia about 5 years ago due to something traumatic. It took a good year or two of therapy for me to get back to normal.

Rebelyell
05-20-14, 12:09 PM
With med's I can function with out them I can barely deal with public places an social situations.Not sure how I became agoraphobia but it started around 16, have never gotten help for it either.

OhLookABunny
06-03-14, 11:32 AM
I was practically a sitting duck to develop it - there are anxiety disorders on both sides of my family, I was an only child of older parents and my mom had difficulty with my birth, had postpartum depression/anxiety and worried about me constantly.

In school, I was a misfit, and like vampirekitti was bullied in junior high - and my bullier lived nearby and I had that same fear of running into her around the neighborhood (no cell phones in 1974).

The non-assertiveness from being overprotected and bullied carried into my college years. I attempted teaching as a graduate assistant and had my first panic attack when trying to confront students who were talking while I was teaching.

That panic led to agoraphobia when I'd get creeped out on the streets, and while driving.

There's also an OCD component - fear of losing control, doing something harmful, though I really don't have any intent. I have what they call "Pure-O" or purely obsessive OCD. That got tangled up with the agoraphobia somehow.

It all is a ginormous pain in the patootie at the best of times, and it altered the entire course of my life and still influences decisions about where to live, when I can drive or when I have to stay home, etc.