View Full Version : Share what idea you will try to use in your life here!

Slowpoke
08-06-03, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone!
I just thought that I would invite/challenge people to take one idea/principle/project/routine from the book and apply it to their lives for at least a week.
Please jot down your choice here and let us know how you`re doing. If you feel the urge, you can even start your own thread and let us know how you`re doing, and ask for encouragement.

I`m excited about how people have started to post here!
Way to go team!
~M

fasttalkingmom
08-07-03, 10:02 AM
I'm doing the launching pad... So far it's working good...But the real test will come after Sept. 3rd, that's when my kids go back to school and I'll be putting the launching pad to the kid stress test : )

Paula

Slowpoke
09-03-03, 03:07 PM
I am going to try and set up a launch pad.
Also, I`m going to try and get a desk set up that I like... one that I can move easily with, and has everything set up so I don`t have the tempatation to leave stuff all over it...
I do have a desktop organizer, but I find it annoying to use, too small. I`m thinking of buying one of those round, rotating ones.
I don`t actually *have* a desk right now though... it`s still at the other place.

Slowpoke
09-07-03, 10:36 PM
Hi all!
I finally got a desk!
It`s nice... but we don`t have a comfortable chair yet... or anywhere to put my books and supplies that I will need at close hand. It`s really frustrating, as I need to discuss what will work best with my boyfriend, now that we`re living together.

In his family, each person had their own desk and supplies, whereas in my family we didn`t. We don`t have much room to spare in our new place... so I`m not sure what to do about this, without hurting his feelings. The main thing is, he gets VERY frustrated at disorganization, and having lived with me in the summer, he is appalled at how my desk was kept...which is understandable.

I am convinced that once I have a system where everything has a place to go, that I will be more organized... however, setting it up is proving to be challenging.

The current desk is one without drawers... his choice, as it was for his room back then. I don`t have money for a desk with drawers right now... so I think I`m going to go buy a clear plastic drawer set on wheels that will fit underneath the desk space... hopefully it will hold all my stuff.

How is everyone else doing?

waywardclam
09-08-03, 12:53 AM
For me, I find sometimes that things I am terrible about following up on / organizing / etc. tend to stack up and get scattered... so I put them all in ONE place... one drawer in my filing cabinet. Then I TRY to attend to one of them per day. I don't try to take on more than one, and I gratefully leave the pile alone once I have done my one. It is psychologically so much more easy for me to deal with one horrible unpleasant thing if I know it is my only "required" task for the day and I have permission to put the other ones off till tomorrow and go have fun when I am done...

fasttalkingmom
09-12-03, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Paul S
I put them all in ONE place... one drawer in my filing cabinet. Then I TRY to attend to one of them per day. I don't try to take on more than one, and I gratefully leave the pile alone once I have done my one. It is psychologically so much more easy for me to deal with one horrible unpleasant thing if I know it is my only "required" task for the day and I have permission to put the other ones off till tomorrow and go have fun when I am done...

I do this Paul.... When I started out trying to tackle my kitchen table clutter I started out going through all the stuff. I had a throw away pile, one pile for each of my kids and an " I don't know what to do with this" pile. The last pile I neatly stacked and shoved to the side of the table to deal with later. Then this pile went in a drawer. Although I know it's all in the drawer, I feel better because it's not piled high on my table for everyone to see and to stress me out. I think the psychological part of orangization is important part of ADDers. I know it's an important part for me.

WTG slowpoke for starting !

Slowpoke
09-18-03, 12:23 PM
Hello all!

I am using the idea from the book about using see through containers... I bought a drawer unit from office supply store. It has a formica top to it so it looks like a counter top, two small drawers and a big one which is my filing drawer. I had one of those box files things, but I found it to be too annoying to have to open up the lid everytime I wanted something, since there was always something on top of it. With the filing in a drawer, I can access it easily.
It was hard to get to this point, since having anxiety, I got anxious about the smallest thing like how to divide up my files so I could be the most effiencient at finding information.... so I actually put it off for about TWO YEARS! Now that I liked the drawer thing, I just jumped in and wrote the categories in... IN PEN, which is pretty symbolic, since I can`t erase pen...

I also bought a larger spinning desktop organizer, which is great! I had a clear one tht didn`t spin around, and didn`t hold as much stuff, but since I figured that I like having things out in the open where I can see them, a bigger one that holds more is still organized! So now I have a whole bunch of stuff on the desk where I can see them at my fingertips.

Alhtough I tried this "put it out in the open" idea with my clothes... it didn`t really work. I just end up piling it up on the cube unit I have. In the closet, I have a hanging organizer to hold my socks and workout tops. I bought a cheap dollar store clear lingerie organizer with pockets (similar to the shoe organizer for the back of the door, but smaller and on a hanger) and it works great! I can see when I am running out of undies (he he...) and I know that I need to schedule a laundry day in.
...I havn`t been able to get up to the point where I have a regular laundry day, as I have to pay for laundry in residence. I did try putting it together with studying for my math (piggybacking tasks together)

Before, I ended up only perceiving laundry as one thing.. instead of thinking I could do things in between that are more productive than watching TV. The problem was, I would get distracted (whoa! big surprise) and end up forgetting about the clothes for... oh.. about 4 hours. In residence, this is not a good thing, since other people will move your stuff around and thus increase the chances of you losing your favourite pair of rainbow socks...

Anyway, there is some more good stuff here to report! Yay!
I have been CONSISTENTLY getting up no later than 9:30am! Wow!
I`m not sure how I have been able to do that... I think it might have partly to do with getting up for work early everyday in the summer, and partly to do with living with my DBF (is that dear boyfriend??? I don`t know those acronyms you all use, so I`m just going to make up my own OK?) who gets up early for classes.

THis is long enough, so I`m going to start another thread about how people have implemented the 3Ss mentioned in the book...

~M

PS: I kinda wanted to be a moderator, but the anxiety thing got in the way b/c I got worried about what a moderator does?
PPS: is there anyway to "advertise" this thread inthe other parts of the forum so more people come over? is it OK to mention this to others if they are talking about stuff?

IthinkIcanI
06-09-05, 09:17 AM
I bought the time timer and love it. I also bought a file cabinet and have used a launch pad.

I will write more later regarding the workings that I have enjoyed from this book that I really resonate with. ALL OF IT. From the format layout that is sooo add friendly for my brain. I am a newbie and hope this is a place where I will "stick it out" and not flake. I have faith to believe that I will.

I have almost gotten my whole house in order and much of it decorated finally after 2 1/2 years. This is a miracle of no small perportion for me!

I think I got the book in Feb. (if I remember correctly). I skimmed through alot of it but as always have soooo many projects going on that I go back and forth.

Anyway, I am happy to find this forum and particularly this topic because I believe that this book is a real answer and a blessing. IT is sooo full of info that relates to me that I need to devour it page by page in a systematic thing I believe (schedule it). I have read ALL the add / help books and this by far is the best for me!

CAmom
06-14-05, 11:48 PM
Hi everyone!

I would like to join in. I have read the book. I have to read it again, though. Anyway, I'm trying to organize my house. I don't know where to start. I want to finish decorating my house too. But, I think I'll start with decluttering first.

I'm a little concerned that two years had passed between the last post and the post before it. Did the discussion go somewhere else????

Oh, well, I'm here. The 1st order of business for me is that I'm going to try and declutter my house.

QueensU_girl
07-18-05, 12:14 PM
1. My Pocket PC (like a Palm Pilot/PDA) has up to *4 alarms* per day. I set one for every 3.5 hours, so i remember to take pills, and avoid sleepy rebound when meds are missed/wear off.

2. Marker Board by the front door. Notes, reminders, for self/others, etc.

3. Multiple Calendars thru the house. One in the kitchen, one in my bedroom/desk. ALL IN PLAIN VIEW from sitting areas/telephones.

4. Throw out/Donation to Charity contests: "have i used this thing or worn this clothing in the last 12 months? Will i wear it in the next 12 months??"

If NO, then it gets recycled to charity/garbage.

5.One product I have seen is a "Stair-Basket". It is a basket designed to sit on the side of the stairway. (It is skinny, and spans to stairway risers.)

If household items need to go upstairs/downstairs, they go in the basket, to transport them.

Seems like a time saver to prevent multiple trips.

patrice_kell
04-17-06, 10:38 PM
Everyone is saying good things about this book. I had not heard of it. I think I will go get it tomorrow. I will try to not let it end up in my collection of books that I need to read and probably never will...LOL.

4gotAgain
03-13-08, 11:55 PM
where can i get this book?

ADDAWAY
03-14-08, 09:54 AM
I've organized my life into three cubby-holes that have fixed my ADD:

Sleep
Eat
Sleep again (if possible). ;)