View Full Version : Depression: is there a secret handshake?

amberwillow
05-02-14, 07:43 AM
Apparently I'm rejoining the club... I lost my membership card and forgot the secret handshake (sorry).

I suspected I was in the grey again and a trip to my ADHD/mental health doctor today confirmed it. I'm so glad he didn't suggest meds though... He's pretty confident that now I'm aware of where things stand I can put my extreme self-care strategies in place.

I have an appointment to see my old psychologist on Monday.

Fuzzy12
05-02-14, 07:45 AM
Amber, welcome back though I wish of course you weren't. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm curious to hear about your extreme self care strategies (if you don't mind sharing).

amberwillow
05-02-14, 08:05 AM
Amber, welcome back though I wish of course you weren't. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm curious to hear about your extreme self care strategies (if you don't mind sharing).

Thanks Fuzzy... I appreciate the sentiment (I've often felt the same way about you).

As far as my Extreme Self-Care:
I have a master list of the things I most enjoy doing (ordinarily) and I started blocking in some segments of those in every day.
- even if I don't feel like I'm going to enjoy them much.

I watch my nutrition carefully... Normally I have healthy menus and shopping lists drawn up ahead, but in this case I've ordered from a delivery company so I don't have to think about it at all.

I start to say no to extra requests on my time unless its good for my mental health.

I boost my exercise and guard my sleep hygiene.

I seek support (as I said, I'm seeing my therapist).

I feel no guilt for putting myself first. It's kindest to everyone involved for me to recover as fast as possible.

Fuzzy12
05-02-14, 08:11 AM
Amber, thanks so much for sharing. That's a super impressive list and I think that all those points you mentioned are super important. I was actually planning to just post a question about something similar. (I probably still will because I don't want to hijack your thread.)

amberwillow
05-02-14, 09:30 AM
Amber, thanks so much for sharing. That's a super impressive list and I think that all those points you mentioned are super important. I was actually planning to just post a question about something similar. (I probably still will because I don't want to hijack your thread.)

No problem... Is it a depression club question? We could stick it up on the notice board over there? (guestures broadly)... Maybe other members could answer.

sarek
05-02-14, 10:40 AM
Amber, I know you to have what it takes to work through this. And of course, you know where to find me.

amberwillow
05-02-14, 06:48 PM
Amber, I know you to have what it takes to work through this. And of course, you know where to find me.

Thanks Sarek.
I share your belief and obviously my doctor does too, that I can work though this.
Firstly because I've done it before.

Secondly because I think I've caught it fairly early this time, before the numbness settled in and the 'certain doom' feelings that have pervaded in my deeper depressive periods in the past.

I think that seeing the descent signs really helps me. It's not like I want to be back in the club, but it's reassuring to know I've been here before and I've got out because I know myself better...

The final key to realising my slide was reviewing my list of things I love to do and noticing that I had not been doing any of them at all for weeks.