View Full Version : How to prevent falling back into depression

Fuzzy12
05-02-14, 10:55 AM
I've been feeling really good for the last few weeks. Not hypomanic good (though I've wondered a few times but I'm not really euphoric or super energetic) but just sane and good. I still have mood swings but the lows aren't that low and they pass pretty quickly. Most of the time I'm feeling quite pleasant and I want it to last. :D

Anyway, once the depression hits there's usually precious little I can do but I was wondering now that I'm feeling better, is there anything I can do to stop sliding back into depression or anything to stabilise myself?

I guess, for me, depression is always lurking around the corner so I'm a bit worried that sooner or later it will return (to be honest, I'm convinced it will). I'm not taking any anti depressant at the moment though I wonder if I should. Before I regained my sanity (I went slightly insane beginning of this year.. worse than normal..worst ever probably, and I'm still not sure if it was a bipolar mixed episode or BPD or caused by the stimulants I'd just started). Anyway, I really wanted to get back on anti depressants but I just couldn't get an appointment with my psychiatrist. I still haven't had one. I'm supposed to see them every month now based on my shared care plan but they have been unsuccessfully trying to schedule one for 3months now. :rolleyes: Anyway, does it make any sense at all to take anti depressants prophylactic-ally?

The other thing that I'm a bit worried about is that in less than two months our annual parent season is starting and all parents (especially mine) really, really get me down. And also, June and beginning of July are usually tough for me anyway. Anyway, I'd like to fuel up on strength and stability before that if that is possible at all.

Amberwillow has posted some brilliant things that help her deal with depression and I'm going to copy them here as well. I think, I need to do all of them, get into the habit of doing all of them regularly but I'm not feeling super motivated and procrastination and inertia are a big problem at the moment.

Anyway, any other ideas? Is it possible at all?

Fuzzy12
05-02-14, 10:59 AM
I have a master list of the things I most enjoy doing (ordinarily) and I started blocking in some segments of those in every day.
- even if I don't feel like I'm going to enjoy them much.

I watch my nutrition carefully... Normally I have healthy menus and shopping lists drawn up ahead, but in this case I've ordered from a delivery company so I don't have to think about it at all.

I start to say no to extra requests on my time unless its good for my mental health.

I boost my exercise and guard my sleep hygiene.

I seek support (as I said, I'm seeing my therapist).

I feel no guilt for putting myself first. It's kindest to everyone involved for me to recover as fast as possible.

I'd add to that:

I really need to start doing some work. I've been extremely unproductive at work and sooner or later that always depresses the hell out of me (in fact, I'm astonished that I'm not feeling stressed already. Soon I'll have tons of important deadlines raining down on me along with the associated stress.)

Fuzzy12
05-02-14, 09:09 PM
Stop drinking too much (and it seems that these days 2 pints of lager already is too much) or maybe I should drink more??? I hate the hang overs though. Feeling sick is depressing

amberwillow
05-02-14, 09:18 PM
I always heard that alcohol acts as a depressant anyway.

I don't drink for several reasons, but that factors into my decision making about it.

At the moment I can't drink without causing damage because of the anti-inflammatory I'm on, but I don't usually anyway because I have grown up with alcoholics in my extended family and I'm not sure I'd be safe, drinking.

It certainly wouldn't help.

Stevuke79
05-02-14, 10:22 PM
Fuzzy,.. thankfully I've never dealt with depression myself, so I don't have any tips. But I hope you keep feeling good for a very very long time. :) :grouphug:

tryn-optmsm
05-02-14, 10:55 PM
Anxiety more than depr' though
--- Remember to talk back to the evil internal critic --- her sayings' aren't 'written in stone' from above

+ giving tryn some e-hugs might make you feel better.... ((((Fuzz))))

tryn-optmsm
05-02-14, 10:59 PM
Total side tangent -- if you want to read about a "whiny white girl" (she explains that upper class white people hurt when they break their leg, just like anyone else) who's more messed up than you are .....
Therese Borchard, Beyond Blue ---- look it up --- just started and seems promising + a bit sad though keep in mind that it does have a "happy ending" (~~biography)

USMCcop
05-02-14, 11:01 PM
I've been in the worse depression ever since I gave up the booze in January. I think it really kept me from prolong depression. Usually I'd get 1 to 2 bouts a year that only lasted a week or two. The one I'm having now just won't go away.

Depression is the most horrible monster ever, and I don't even get it to the degree that some do. It's sad when a person is depressed for no apparent reason.

Fuzzy12
05-03-14, 03:20 AM
Let me try this :scratch:

(((((((Tryn)))))):grouphug:

You are right. It works!! :D

I've been in the worse depression ever since I gave up the booze in January. I think it really kept me from prolong depression. Usually I'd get 1 to 2 bouts a year that only lasted a week or two. The one I'm having now just won't go away.

Depression is the most horrible monster ever, and I don't even get it to the degree that some do. It's sad when a person is depressed for no apparent reason.

When I'm in the pits of depression I constantly crave a drink and drinking does make me feel better. A few hours of slight relief.

When I'm medicated though I neither crave nor enjoy alcohol. Strangely this seems to hold hold trur for any meds..ie both stims and anti depressants.

I need a plan. It's too easy to just drift along and not do anything till one ill find myself fused again. Maybe regular exercise should be the priority? But it's so boring. I love swimming though I rarely go because it seems like too much of an effort. Maybe I'll go swimming today but I'm not sure I can sustain that. .. :scratch:

tryn-optmsm
05-03-14, 03:30 AM
You know more than I do about inventories: though maybe now it's time to remind yourself you have them
Now that you're feeling better -- what gives you hope? what fuels your optimism?
What do you want?
What are your strengths ?
What did you do that made you smile?
What did you do these past few days you enjoyed?

**Work stuff -- that's anxiety, a different beast (my personal deamon)
-- I'm trying to catch myself before onset + like I said, talk back to the REALLY EVIL internal critic from he** that keeps yammering in my head (you'd be surprised but Concerta actually slows my thoughts down enough for me to catch them)

Silly Q', are you nervous because you're happy? Isn't that a tad, tiny bit like raining on the most AWESOME parade you've had in a while ?

Fuzzy12
05-03-14, 05:12 AM
Silly Q', are you nervous because you're happy? Isn't that a tad, tiny bit like raining on the most AWESOME parade you've had in a while ?

Yes I am nervous. My mood still swings and every time it sinks a bit I wonder if it will go up again. Actually I'm terrified :lol:

VeryTired
05-03-14, 09:42 AM
Hi, Fuzzy--

I know that anxiety and depression are just two sides of the same coin, but it sounds to me as though your problem is more that you have anxiety NOW than that you might have depression LATER. Lots of things work to relieve both (amerberwillow's powerful list, for instance), but maybe you want to emphasize choices that enhance serenity over those which generate energy right now. And up to a point, reason can be a tool to use against anxiety. Talking yourself through reasonable solutions to problems your anxiety is fixating upon may help. Keep us posted about how you are doing--big sympathy!

Fuzzy12
05-03-14, 01:37 PM
Thanks but no sympathy is required. :grouphug:

I'm doing really really well. I also don't have a problem with anxiety at all. I just want to do everything I can now when I've got a bit more of energy and am relatively stable to prevent or delay my depression.

USMCcop
05-04-14, 10:56 AM
Let me try this :scratch:

(((((((Tryn)))))):grouphug:

You are right. It works!! :D

When I'm in the pits of depression I constantly crave a drink and drinking does make me feel better. A few hours of slight relief.

When I'm medicated though I neither crave nor enjoy alcohol. Strangely this seems to hold hold trur for any meds..ie both stims and anti depressants.

I need a plan. It's too easy to just drift along and not do anything till one ill find myself fused again. Maybe regular exercise should be the priority? But it's so boring. I love swimming though I rarely go because it seems like too much of an effort. Maybe I'll go swimming today but I'm not sure I can sustain that. .. :scratch:

Once I started Adderall I had no desire to drink; however, despite what doctors say, alcohol, despite being a depressant, kept my depression at bay. Everyday I looked forward to being able to drink that evening. It gave me something to look forward to (being at home and relaxing). A day or two after quitting, I fell into deep depression.

Any yes exercise helps greatly with depression but I'm too flicking lazy.

tryn-optmsm
05-04-14, 03:38 PM
USM' -- exercise + lazy-- maybe you just haven't tried the right one ? There's yoga, pilates, yogalates, power-walking, cardio, aerobics ...............

I HATE running -- though really like cardio yoga @ times . . .

** I asked ADDF'ers what's a good exercise for anxiety -- they have some good ideas... usm' (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161484)

USMCcop
05-04-14, 04:22 PM
Maybe, but I just can't get motivated. I do have a bowflex, but I'm just too lazy right now. I have a real strong build, but can't get my butt in gear.

I'm not too sure how'd it look if a 601, 280 pound dude with tattoos doing yoga or Pilates. :eek:

Daydreamin22
05-04-14, 05:10 PM
What I did was not think about a lot of things. I just wouldn't go there. I kind of controlled my atmosphere so my mind wouldn't wander. That worked. Not sure how healthy that is.

Fuzzy12
05-04-14, 05:51 PM
Once I started Adderall I had no desire to drink; however, despite what doctors say, alcohol, despite being a depressant, kept my depression at bay. Everyday I looked forward to being able to drink that evening. It gave me something to look forward to (being at home and relaxing). A day or two after quitting, I fell into deep depression.

Any yes exercise helps greatly with depression but I'm too flicking lazy.

I'm in a friend's place getting absolutely plastered and in feeling better than I've been feeling all day long but I know tomorrow will be horrible. Hung over..but now I feel good .. abd I used to look forward to this d too when i was depressed. A few hours ok f relief.

tryn-optmsm
05-04-14, 06:34 PM
Maybe, but I just can't get motivated. I do have a bowflex, but I'm just too lazy right now. I have a real strong build, but can't get my butt in gear.

I'm not too sure how'd it look if a 601, 280 pound dude with tattoos doing yoga or Pilates. :eek:

a) ROFL (+ tattoos weigh you down, phewwwww - luckily my religion frowns upon 'em)

b) ex' was 6"4 230 pds and did Yoga (YOGIED)

**usm point was (albeit chance it's a silly one) if I think I have to job - I go back to sleep -- but 'cat, cow, dog' poses I can manage and work my way up .. just food for thought (you can even Zumba in the comfort of your own home, if you enjoy dancing + have sturdy floors :giggle: ) Not all exercise is sgt drills 'is all

USMCcop
05-04-14, 06:37 PM
I'm in a friend's place getting absolutely plastered and in feeling better than I've been feeling all day long but I know tomorrow will be horrible. Hung over..but now I feel good .. abd I used to look forward to this d too when i was depressed. A few hours ok f relief.

Oh well. Life's to short. Have fun boozing it.

I got so you to it I was immune to hangovers.

USMCcop
05-04-14, 06:40 PM
a) ROFL (+ tattoos weigh you down, phewwwww - luckily my religion frowns upon 'em)

b) ex' was 6"4 230 pds and did Yoga (YOGIED)

**usm point was (albeit chance it's a silly one) if I think I have to job - I go back to sleep -- but 'cat, cow, dog' poses I can manage and work my way up .. just food for thought (you can even Zumba in the comfort of your own home, if you enjoy dancing + have sturdy floors :giggle: ) Not all exercise is sgt drills 'is all

I know. And yes, tats everywhere. I did drop 30 lbs by stopping the booze and going on a pre-diabetic diet (which I pretty much reversed) by diet alone.

The Marines got all the running I need for three lifetimes.