View Full Version : Help! Pms+add

Sunlovinlady
05-02-14, 03:47 PM
Ladies,

Is there any sort of natual thing I can do to help me during the week from hell every month? ADD is hard enough for me and then PMS rolls around. It's just horrible. I am up and down with emotions within hours and get annoyed by the tiniest things. I am beyond tired and feel like I'm about to rip off someones face if they say anything to me during this time. I have to work so I can't just go hide at home. Meds don't seem to make it any better.

I know it's a hormone drop. Is there a way around that?

missmedusa
05-03-14, 02:38 AM
I have a lot of trouble with this too. I have an additional strange symptom. Before I got diagnosed with ADHD I used to always say that one of my PMS symptoms was that I got "stupid". Like remembering things/being able to write/speak in coherent sentences etc all get much worse. I also get annoyed at the tiniest things.
This doesn't cure everything, but seems to help a lot; I buy raspberry leaf tea. I have found that this alleviates my PMS symptoms more than anything else. I tried it because I can't take midol or pamprin, they don't help my symptoms at all and often have made me sick. Raspberry leaf is pretty awesome for me, and it will taste a bit better with some honey :)

Sunlovinlady
05-07-14, 04:55 PM
Thank you missmedusa! Writing that down to try right now. Glad that you can relate. Yeah, I drop things, feel slower in my mind and with speaking and just get super tired and annoyed by anything.

missmedusa
05-07-14, 11:49 PM
No problem :D . I was recently dealing with this issue actually and got super depressed, agh! Unfortunately I was out of my raspberry leaf tea and was too broke to get anymore (wasn't working much due to finals and such).

I don't know about you, but for me the whole PMS thing starts at least a week or more before the actual cycle @_@. So aggravating.

I didn't know I had ADD in the past, so of course I had no idea that my "stupidity" during this time could actually be attributed to a combo of ADD and hormone problems.

Good luck, I hope that or something else will help you :).

Dizliz
05-08-14, 11:58 AM
Hi,
I think diet/creating low stress environment etc can help since i find some months are better than others if life is going better. Otherwise, meds aside, I can only suggest spending some time monitoring it very carefully and warning key people close to you near the time or trying to plan workarounds -i.e. don't attend meetings/lock yourself in your office with admin/avoid people etc for the worst hours. I tracked my moods on the calendar and know i get depressed around ovulation and then have 3 uncharacteristic insane hours of hyperfocus (major irritability if disturbed), rapid extreme mood swings, very needy and zero inhibition the day/night just before day1 period. If i'm at work, it can be a BAAD since i truly cannot control my reactions in those 3-4 hours and have said things i truly regret that damaged my career/others' opinions of me. It's always followed by a 2-3 day migraine. So if my bosses are easy going/open minded i usually end up telling them about it (and yes, most were male) and my need for a workaround/caution during that time. I have spent years working around this and finally was recently diagnosed ADHD. Honestly I'm thinking now there is a real possibility that PMDD may actually just be ADHD that is exacerbated heavily by hormone swings. (i.e. how many women with PMS/PMDD actually have undiagnosed ADHD or bipolar etc). The population frequency would match up... I just started stimulant therapy and it didn't stop the PMDD but it did give me more pause to actually notice what was happening during it and retreat to my room--hopeful that will make monitoring and controlling it easier...good luck!

Sunlovinlady
05-08-14, 02:51 PM
oh no! not fun.

Defintely the same thing for me. I feel like the whole process takes two weeks from my normal happy life each month. Lame.

Oh man. That would make it confusing and even more frustrating. Glad you found out.

Thanks. You as well. :)

lavita_bella
05-08-14, 03:05 PM
My family blessed me with some wonderful genes that give me PMS bordering on PMDD (my mom has actually gotten diagnosed with it) every month. I take birth control now and it seems to help the symptoms a lot-- sometimes a hormone imbalance will tend to mimic ADHD symptoms, and coupled with ADHD, it's hell.

Things I do for PMS-- take Biotin supplements. Those seem to help although I don't really have proof or anything that those balance hormones or relieve symptoms, so I couldn't tell you why exactly it makes me feel better. Getting enough sleep is the most important. My energy level goes down significantly before I get my period so I make sure to get 9-10 hours as opposed to my usual 7-8 (if I'm lucky.. ha). Raspberry leaf tea is helpful as well, and so is Dong Quai tea, which is a Chinese herbal supplement that's been used forever. Don't take it with stimulants, though (I'm not sure how safe it is with other medications but I know I can't take it while I'm on Adderall... so I usually opt for the Adderall instead. Helps me think more clearly) :P I also try not to exercise as much because I tend to pull a bunch of stuff, and my psychiatrist actually let me take slightly more Adderall during that time of the month (about 2mg more, lol) to help with the fogginess.
Sometimes I take advantage of being more emotional though, as it helps motivate me to do certain things sometimes and it even sometimes helps my creativity. I like to write a lot of music when I have PMS :P
Hope this helps a bit!

missmedusa
05-08-14, 04:58 PM
Never heard of Dong Quai tea, but since I'm on stimulants sounds like I shouldn't take it anyway...but might be a nice thing to try for times when I can go off meds. Do you find that you have different results with Dong Quai & Raspberry leaf?

I second the suggestion on sleep. I have really bad insomnia, and I notice that if I am able to get more sleep during this time my symptoms are much less severe.

CK302
05-11-14, 09:54 PM
What type of birth control do you take? Was thinking of starting seasonelle to help with PMS brain fog and mood issues. My symptoms arise 2 weeks to five days before my period.

I know Progesterone approaches peak levels during this stage of the cycle. And I'm pretty sure it's not the progesterone itself causing the issue, but the fluctuation in hormones.

Sunlovinlady
05-12-14, 07:25 PM
Dizliz- Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. Also thanks for breaking down what it's been like for you! Great idea to track it..if I can remember to. I agree about diet and excercise. I noticed everything is off for me when I'm not keeping up on that but I never stay stable with it. You are probably right about the PMS+PMDD thing really being PMS+ADHD.

lavita_bella- I would try birth control but my body hates it. I've tried several and there is always some issue that I am not willing to live with. I do take biotin but mostly for the hair/nail health benefits. Never knew it helped with that too. I will definitely try that tea since you are the second person to mention it. Thank you! I wish I could sleep like 10 hours every night. I'm lucky to get 8. Guess I have to make that happen by getting my little one to bed earlier.

Dizliz
05-13-14, 02:13 PM
my pleasure Sunlovinlady! When i reread my post it did sound kinda awful but honestly, after 20 yrs with PMDD (aha, now ADHD), I really have found the tracking thing to be very helpful in minimizing damage with hubbie and work! Like you, i used to feel that hormones were eating up 2 weeks of every month in my life - haha, at least we have a reason to get excited about menopause eh!!:p

RobboW
05-13-14, 09:56 PM
This thread may be helpful for me. Obviously I'm not a female, lol, but I have three daughters, two are now older and on regular cycles and my wife will not talk about ADD and I strongly believe both girls are ADD. One in particular gets moody as all get out. Keep the ideas coming ladies, don't hold back on detail. This morning was a Jekyl & Hyde time :eek:

It doesn't mesh well with a bunch of us suspected ADD in one house. Anything that can help is good :thankyou:

I'm really apprehensive about our youngest hitting puberty as she is pretty extreme in temperament and I worry she may be bipolar.

Sunlovinlady
05-14-14, 12:13 PM
dizliz- Haha so true! Hopefully without other issues.

Sunlovinlady
05-14-14, 12:31 PM
RobboW- Can I just say that you are awesome! A husband and father that would think to even look up the issues and read up about it is someone who is understanding and really loves their family. I'm sure some of it is to keep your own sanity in the home but it's very cool that you would be sympathetic and try to proactively learn some tips instead of just getting mad of them. I'm lucky to have an understanding man in my life too. I wish I could just turn the switch off during that time but no can do.

What all of your ladies need is:

-Patience (A boatload of it)
-Understanding
-Space or comfort (depending on the moment)
-Chocolate! I'm serious. My boyfriend gives me chocolate as a preventative.
-Extra compliments (we don't feel our cutest during this time- bloated, acne, hungry for horibble comfort food, we just basically feel disgusting)
-The ability for you to let the mean things we say go right past you without being taken seriously. Hormones can be pretty mean. It's really not us saying or meaning those things.
-Help them get the rest they need- we get extra tired during this time. There's a category 5 storm going on inside our bodies.
-Don't EVER EVER EVER say when she is already mad "Oh, are you PMS'ing?" Just assume it.

I feel bad for you because you may get bombarded by this all the time with that many women in the house. Maybe send them out of the house if it gets bad and do some cleaning. Your wife, at least will come back very happy. My ex used to mentally track my period so he would sort of know when to expect the extra anger, etc. Not sure if you could do the same but maybe worth a shot to avoid or plan your guys day around it?

I hope that your wife can be open to looking into ADHD for herself and for the girls. It's so very important.

Timberline
05-20-14, 09:56 AM
Thank you missmedusa! Writing that down to try right now. Glad that you can relate. Yeah, I drop things, feel slower in my mind and with speaking and just get super tired and annoyed by anything.

OMG! My husband and I have said for years that I get the "dropsies" during PMS!

This is off topic, but it does have to do with hormones & my internal editor:
When I was pregnant with my DD, I was working with people I had known for a long time. One of my "bosses" loved (still does, I guess) to pick at people and irritate them, just playing around.

During a very stressful week, I was doing something that takes a LOT of concentration, in front of people who were trying to learn to do it, demonstrating a technique, and he was razzing me in some way (I don't even remember what he said) and I blurted out something like, "Someday you'll be dead!" in front of all these people! Fortunately they all know how he is, but I was MORTIFIED!!! What I was thinking as along the lines of "Only after you are dead will I ever get any peace", which isn't much better but it came out just terrible! So embarrassing!

Most of the time my editor is great. I try to be direct but diplomatic. But sometimes it lets me down.

Diony
05-21-14, 09:58 AM
that makes a lot of sense I had therapy on Monday and that's the first day that my pms started and I had a really hard time talking, it was like my motor mouth couldn't work and it felt a little like my leg had a weight to it and all I wanted to do was stay home but I made myself to go therapy.

Makennan
05-21-14, 02:14 PM
Honestly I'm thinking now there is a real possibility that PMDD may actually just be ADHD that is exacerbated heavily by hormone swings. (i.e. how many women with PMS/PMDD actually have undiagnosed ADHD or bipolar etc).

Interesting theory...I always get really depressed and overwhelmed a few days before my period. Life seems just too awful to endure, and I dwell on all my shortcomings/failures. It's the only time where I can't suppress my feelings like I usually do (hooray for bottling up emotions!!) and let sadness overcome me and just cry. I also get so bloated I look pregnant and clothes don't fit. Horrible.

This is a helpful thread...I'll have to try some of the suggestions.

:thankyou:

Sunlovinlady
05-21-14, 03:49 PM
Timberline- Love the story! That would be embarassing.

Tangentious
05-26-14, 04:29 PM
OK, I don't have the quotes in front of me right now, but I've looked into this before. Apparently, the hormonal changes in the PMS time (drop in estrogen and rise in progesterone), cause an enzyme that breaks down neurotransmitters (MAO) in the brain to be more active. So it's chopping up your serotonin, dopamine, and norepiniephrine and flushing them away more than normal. Hence, you feel more tired, irritable and distracted than normal. There is also and interaction between something called COMT and dopamine in the brain. I know all my symptoms get WAY worse during this time, even on the pill, though not as bad. If anyone wants more info, I'll be happy to find the specifics I discovered again (I'm on my tablet right now and I don't know how to copy and paste - lol).

oldsk8r
07-16-14, 03:38 PM
Ladies,

Is there any sort of natual thing I can do to help me during the week from hell every month? ADD is hard enough for me and then PMS rolls around. It's just horrible. I am up and down with emotions within hours and get annoyed by the tiniest things. I am beyond tired and feel like I'm about to rip off someones face if they say anything to me during this time. I have to work so I can't just go hide at home. Meds don't seem to make it any better.

I know it's a hormone drop. Is there a way around that?

Get it self a toy boy !!!!!!!!!! I'm free an u can rip my face off an anything deals u like