View Full Version : Oxycodone

Laserbeak
05-04-14, 06:14 AM
Do you people think it's a κ-opioid agonist or a -opioid agonist? There seems to be some disagreement, but I think there is definitely a big difference between oxycodone and other opiates. Oxycodone does not have the mind-clouding effects and impairments that Hydrocodone, regular codeine, morphine, and stronger opioids such as hydromorphone seem to have. This supports the κ-opioid theory, plus some of the side effects seem to match the κ-opioid model, not the -opioid model, such as severe constipation (get it on the -opioids, but not on oxycodone).

So why then is oxycodone (the active narcotic in Percocet, Percodan and OxyContin) so demonized? When it is described as 'hillbilly heroin" and other derogatory terms, it really makes no sense to me. For me it's more effective yet has less side effects and is less addictive than even simple codeine.

sarahsweets
05-04-14, 07:00 AM
This is a quote I found:
these data strongly suggest that the intrinsic antinociceptive effects of oxycodone are mediated by kappa-opioid receptors, in contrast to morphine which interacts primarily with mu-opioid receptors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9415500

Now there is alot of stuff I dont understand in this but:
in doses that completely attenuated the intrinsic antinociceptive effects of equipotent doses of the respective mu- and delta-opioid agonists, morphine and enkephalin-[D-Pen(2,5)] (DPDPE). Although beta-funaltrexamine (beta-FNA) attenuated the antinociceptive effects of oxycodone (171 nmol i.c.v.), it also attenuated the antinociceptive effects of morphine and bremazocine (kappa-opioid agonist) indicative of non-selective antagonism

So if I am kinda getting this, does this mean that oxycodone isnt a mu agonist or delta opioid agonist?

Regarding the effects of osycodone for me personally, I agree that its not sedating or mind clouding. For me its very stimulating and If I had to be on this long term I could be a very happy camper until I moved from theraputic to abusive but I am an alcoholic so this is very possible with my personal make up so being on it long term would be hard for me.

I think its been termed hillbilly heroin because of the whole "pill mill" thing and the fact that its addiction potential didnt seem to be a problem years ago, and then when a lot of people were prescribed these meds, they seem to develop a nasty addiction and in some cases went to heroin when it got too expensive. I hesitate to start accusing doctors of over-prescribing because it seems that when they crack down on prescibers, it affects those who need effective pain management long term and lumps them into those who engage in abuse or diversion.

treed85
05-04-14, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure buddy, but all I know is those Oxy 30mg IR's are pretty much the best ever. Thank God I don't take those anymore, used to abuse the hell out of em. Yay for Suboxone!

Batman55
05-05-14, 12:04 AM
Just a suggestion, but when discussing things like this.. if I were you guys, I'd be using "SWIM"... the discussion of highly addictive drugs not approved for ADD has always been controversial in this forum.

If you use "SWIM", you can get around this problem, and your thread won't be closed.

Laserbeak
05-05-14, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure buddy, but all I know is those Oxy 30mg IR's are pretty much the best ever. Thank God I don't take those anymore, used to abuse the hell out of em. Yay for Suboxone!

Well I'm only taking 5mg 3x per day.

Just a suggestion, but when discussing things like this.. if I were you guys, I'd be using "SWIM"... the discussion of highly addictive drugs not approved for ADD has always been controversial in this forum.

If you use "SWIM", you can get around this problem, and your thread won't be closed.

I'm talking about a drug that I have legally been prescribed. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I called the local DEA office to talk about an oxycodone prescription with a DEA agent. When you're talking about SWIMs and FOAFs is when you're trying to hide something.

sarahsweets
05-05-14, 05:34 AM
Actually, this is not true. This forum discourages the use of SWIM because it sounds way to much like the drug forums that encourage misuse/abuse. Plus, it offers no protection against anything and would never hold up in a court of law.

Batman55
05-06-14, 12:35 AM
Actually, this is not true. This forum discourages the use of SWIM because it sounds way to much like the drug forums that encourage misuse/abuse. Plus, it offers no protection against anything and would never hold up in a court of law.

Makes sense. I was kinda being cheeky though anyway... :p My odd sense of humor works better in real life, methinks.

As an aside, what term would hold up in a court of law? Recently I heard that "AFOAF" is preferable to "SWIM" and yet I don't see what makes it any better.

Laserbeak
05-06-14, 07:05 PM
As an aside, what term would hold up in a court of law? Recently I heard that "AFOAF" is preferable to "SWIM" and yet I don't see what makes it any better.

If the posts were ever entered into evidence in a trial, it would be up to the jury to consider the matter and weigh the evidence (or judge if both sides waive trial by jury).

peripatetic
05-06-14, 08:17 PM
moderator note

threads should reasonably stick to a topic and this one with the SWIM and other acronym crap has strayed. feel free to start a new thread, not in treatments (i would suggest debates) if you'd like to discuss that and whatever legal ramifications could come from posting using them or not on a public forum.

this is the topic:

Do you people think it's a κ-opioid agonist or a -opioid agonist? There seems to be some disagreement, but I think there is definitely a big difference between oxycodone and other opiates. Oxycodone does not have the mind-clouding effects and impairments that Hydrocodone, regular codeine, morphine, and stronger opioids such as hydromorphone seem to have. This supports the κ-opioid theory, plus some of the side effects seem to match the κ-opioid model, not the -opioid model, such as severe constipation (get it on the -opioids, but not on oxycodone).

So why then is oxycodone (the active narcotic in Percocet, Percodan and OxyContin) so demonized? When it is described as 'hillbilly heroin" and other derogatory terms, it really makes no sense to me. For me it's more effective yet has less side effects and is less addictive than even simple codeine.

keep it on topic from here on out. you can private message me if you have a question about this moderator note.

-peri