View Full Version : Your Weight. (People formally diagnosed with ADHD only please)

Abi
05-05-14, 09:47 AM
See poll

Abi
05-05-14, 10:00 AM
Medications that may cause overweight include, but are not limited to: Celexa, Cymbalta, Effexor, Lexapro, Luvox, Paxil, Pristiq, Prozac, Remeron, Viibryd, Zoloft, Amitryptaline, Imipramine, Trazodone, Depakene, Depakote, Lamictal, Lithium, Tegretol, Abilify, Geodon, Haldol, Invega, Latuda, Risperdal, Saphris, Seroquel, Zyprexa.

SB_UK
05-05-14, 10:12 AM
That's not really fair.

Overweight pre-meds.
Underweight post-meds.
Underweight post-strict fasting.
Underweight post-heavy exercise.
Gain weight (mildly over-weight) upon eating any carbs.

It's impossible to fill out an entry.

So - mood stabilizers send us one way, ADHD meds the other.

But ADHD will send some into extreme exercise - others into extreme fasting.
Co-morbids with / without meds will lead to over-eating/lethargy.

Having money - will result in less overeating - Having no money (probably common for ADDers) will result in more.

It's too difficult to undertake this study without MASSIVE numbers and extensive details on behaviour.

silivrentoliel
05-05-14, 10:45 AM
I voted, but I believe my weight is only partially due to the anti-depressants and crap I've taken over the years.

Abi
05-05-14, 10:47 AM
You know SB today's cheeseburger was the first good meal I've had in 2 weeks due to gum pain from a quadruple extraction and you made me feel bad over it :(

I lost 9 lb's from not eating all this while.

SB_UK
05-05-14, 11:34 AM
You know SB today's cheeseburger was the first good meal I've had in 2 weeks due to gum pain from a quadruple extraction and you made me feel bad over it :(

I lost 9 lb's from not eating all this while.

But eliminating starch might help you keep your remaining teeth.

SB_UK
05-05-14, 11:38 AM
There're 278 articles on pubmed for 'adhd and obesity'
- I guess some won't be appropriate - but many will.

Links between attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and obesity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24716780

Sufficiently interesting to be published a few days ago ?

BellaVita
05-05-14, 12:05 PM
I put average, but often I am underweight.

I have the weird effect where antidepressants make me LOSE weight.

(I'm off everything currently.)

hurricane92
05-05-14, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty much average, perhaps a tad underweight for my height, 160lb and 6'3. I've always had a blowtorch metabolism and until my late teens was almost sickly thin regardless of eating absolute crap all the time. My folks, being the good parents they were, made sure I ate 3 healthy meals a day, which I then supplemented with about 8 liters of soda per week, cases of beer, and all the fast-foody goodness you can imagine. Still couldn't do more than reduce me to a 4 pack. Now I'm being all healthy and stuff, and happy to be looking better because I have to keep up with my girlfriend, who is I swear a goddess, body and soul.

NO MEDS, NO BOOZE!

Baal Moom
05-05-14, 01:37 PM
I suppose my weight is average for my build or somewhat below, maybe. I don't eat a lot. Sometimes just one meal a day. I used to live on a sandwich and a half a day for months. I was so thin my fingers looked like they swallowed two bullets each.

Lunacie
05-05-14, 02:14 PM
There isn't an option for me.

I am obese and take an antidep but ... I was obese long before I started taking an antidep.

namazu
05-05-14, 02:16 PM
Other!

(take anti-d's, but weight not due to them)

meadd823
05-12-14, 01:31 AM
I was considered underweight until recently - "maturity" and the process that come with it render me average weight although my weight has always been natural for me. I have never been obese by any stretch of the imagination. . . but not because of any thing I did or didn't do.

I think it is because my ancestors did not have long periods of starvation so my genetic line did not favor those whose bodies tended to "store" food.

Codybutt021
05-25-14, 07:28 PM
As a guy that grew up on Risperdal, I noticed sudden weight gains. I was curious if any other male has had this issue from taking Risperdal?

I know I've heard lately that some lawsuits were filed against the makers because there was a chance that it could cause male breast growth. I don't like to be paranoid, but I really think Risperdal was a huge reason why I put on so much weight in the first place, including a lil more than I'd like in my chest area.

This sucks. I wish drug companies were monitored better..

Ken2013
05-25-14, 09:12 PM
I'm 180 cm (5' 11'') and ~ 65 kg (143 pounds), so technically I'm barely within the normal weight range (BMI 20.06).

I've just started a trial of stimulants (Ritalin) and am concerned about its effects on my appetite and potential subsequent weight loss.

I've read about and met (in person) people who have taken stimulants (legal and illegal) for a long time, were underweight during that period, but "ballooned" up once they ceased / reduced stimulant use as their metabolisms were very screwed up.

One guy I met lost about 10 kg whilst on 30 mg Adderall / day, but gained 15 mg when off it.
Then there was a patient who took a lot of Crystal Meth in his 20's and 30's, but is now morbidly obese at 50 and seemingly can't get the weight off despite dieting.

I'm wondering if this "screwed up" metabolism is permanent?

My hypothesis is that their metabolism was altered in response to low energy (calorie) intake, so it was like their body entered a chronic "starvation" mode.

If that's the case, then I have to make an effort to have 3 meals / day whilst on Ritalin to avoid getting rebound hunger and weight gain when off it (eg on weekends or holidays, or if the medication is "confiscated" / no longer prescribed for whatever reason)...

Lunacie
05-25-14, 11:09 PM
As a guy that grew up on Risperdal, I noticed sudden weight gains. I was curious if any other male has had this issue from taking Risperdal?

I know I've heard lately that some lawsuits were filed against the makers because there was a chance that it could cause male breast growth. I don't like to be paranoid, but I really think Risperdal was a huge reason why I put on so much weight in the first place, including a lil more than I'd like in my chest area.

This sucks. I wish drug companies were monitored better..

Clearly not the best med choice for you. Works great for my granddaughter.

When I was finally diagnosed with Anxiety along with my depression and ADHD at the age of 61
I first took Celexa and experienced unending appetite, put on 10 pounds in one month.

Clearly not the best med for me. We switched it to Zoloft and that's been great.

Years ago I took a med for high blood pressure and had a bad allergic reaction,
with rash, swelling of the tongue and throat.

Clearly not the best med for me, but it works marvels for other people.

Everything we take, or eat, or drink, has a risk.