View Full Version : driven to distraction

Drogheda
05-06-14, 11:10 AM
just wondering how many of you have read this book and if it's worth keeping. my parents bought it a while ago when I was in my teens and it has been just setting around. wondering if it's worth the read or if it would be best to sell on ebay.

Lunacie
05-06-14, 11:54 AM
Read the first chapter and then decide.

ginniebean
05-06-14, 11:56 AM
From my own experience not really. I read it when it came out, decided I was too far gone to be helped as I was not nearly as successful as the people he was claiming to treat.

Also, Hallowell has stated that his understanding of adhd at the time was that it wasn't as impacting on life as they now know it to be. He saw it as a problem with a fairly easy fix. So, keep that in mind as you read it because even he says he was overly optimistic.

Fuzzy12
05-06-14, 11:59 AM
I've read delivered from distraction (which I think is just a newer edition of driven to distraction). It was the first book I'd read on ADHD and I quite liked it. It is overly optimistic but if you've got it at home, just give it a shot anyway.

Shiroyama
05-06-14, 02:01 PM
I'm reading it right now and I really like it. I can relate to so many of the situations of patients that he describes in the book.
I wasn't diagnosed as a child and really struggled through school. There's a letter from a mother to her son in the book apologizing for him not being diagnosed; reading it was really healing to me.
There is another patient who talks about a cough drop on the dashboard of her car and how she kept looking at it and telling herself to get rid of it, but didn't do it. I'm forever doing things like that.
Anyway I'm finding it interesting and helpful. Maybe read it and then sell it?
Not sure it's worth the effort of selling on e-bay though; I got my copy at Savers for $3.99, and there are tons of used copies on Amazon selling for that price, including shipping.

dvdnvwls
05-06-14, 02:04 PM
I started to read it and gave up on it. It's a very "talkative" book that seemed to me to not really be saying much. Maybe I needed to give it more of a chance.

stef
05-06-14, 02:26 PM
i liked it just because I read it a couple of months after " discovering" ADHD.
OMG a BOOK about what I've been secretly going through, for all of my life...

eclectic beagle
05-06-14, 03:03 PM
If I did, I certainly don't remember any of it.

hazlnut
05-06-14, 04:59 PM
The book saved my life -- I skipped the chapters on kids and things that didn't apply. Leaning to skip things that I don't need and not be such a perfectionist has been key to learning to cope better.

Drogheda
05-06-14, 05:02 PM
well it's on ebay but I'm going to read it, might be a month before it sells.

ebay is about quantity anyway. selling tons of stuff I'll never need.

lol, adhd

Sunlovinlady
05-07-14, 04:45 PM
I liked it only because I listened to it on audio book. There are a lot stories and facts. I got a little bored at times but overall it was worth listening to. Definitely for me, just relating is big since I have no one to talk to who has the same issue as me (friends, etc.).

Rebelyell
05-07-14, 08:45 PM
Ive read both delivered and driven to distraction.I kind of hunted and pecked my way thru them.Im still looking for a book that actually helps us.We know we don't pay attention,lose things blurt out things we sometimes have no business saying or coming out of our mouths etc.We need advice and techniques how to deal w some of these things as meds aren't the total answer for us.I was gonna post a thing on books and reading material but I typed a story 3 times and it wouldn't let me post it it said fatal error,banged head and shouted obscenities out loud...other day...

Twiggy
05-07-14, 09:51 PM
I've never read it before, nor it's sequal.

If anybody would like to donate a copy to me, PM me :)

eclectic beagle
05-07-14, 11:06 PM
Has anyone (here) read Driven from Distraction? Is it any good?