View Full Version : Adderall Suddenly Stops Working After Severe Anxiety symptoms?

adderall1717
05-06-14, 09:45 PM
Hello,
Several weeks ago, I was cramming for a lot of very important tests. As a result, I developed severe anxiety/panic symptoms (shaking, stuttering, feeling nauseous, derealization, difficulty breathing, considering suicide, feeling like the end is near, feeling like I'm going crazy.) I have never had these symptoms before. I take 15mg of amphetamine salts 2x a day (and have for 2 years), and I noticed when I didn't take my meds on the weekend, the symptoms went away. Suddenly, after 3 weeks of having these symptoms, I stopped getting them (when I DID take my meds), but along with it went the function of my Adderall. I cannot concentrate, and I am not getting any work done. Although my tests are over, this isn't just relief: I feel like my meds are not working at all. I upped my dose to 20mg 2x a day, and I still feel nothing (a little buzz for first 2 hours, but after, it is completely gone).
Could this be my body's way of protecting me from anxiety? How do I make my Adderall start working again?

thebomb402
06-30-14, 04:39 PM
I have the same problem frequently. I think it is serotonin depletion or excessive upregulation of the sympathetic nervous system and its metabolites. I am presently searching for a good way to curtail this without adding an SSRI.

heylookacastle!
08-27-14, 08:57 AM
I've also had this happen after experiencing extreme panic attacks during my taper off of Klonopin.

I had to take a 2 week break and let my brain sort of reset itself.

I also described it at the time exactly how you did... like the brain protecting itself by blocking all effects from the Adderall.

Little Missy
08-27-14, 09:33 AM
Same thing here. Now I only take my adderall if I feel like it because I just don't ever know how it will affect me. Sometimes when I take it I have a great day. Other times when I take it all I can do is hide inside all day until it wears off.

I've been thinking of going back to dexedrine to see if that helps me. I just hate that somehow the medication that worked for me for so many years has just seemed to go haywire on me now.

heylookacastle!
09-19-14, 12:47 AM
Same thing here. Now I only take my adderall if I feel like it because I just don't ever know how it will affect me. Sometimes when I take it I have a great day. Other times when I take it all I can do is hide inside all day until it wears off.

I've been thinking of going back to dexedrine to see if that helps me. I just hate that somehow the medication that worked for me for so many years has just seemed to go haywire on me now.

I don't think switching to dexedrine would be completely necessary if Adderall worked for you for so many years.

Are you on any other meds with the Adderall?