View Full Version : anxiety and weight loss

ashlers
05-08-14, 08:06 AM
hello all! first time posting in this particular forum. I made a previous post before under relationship issues talking about the various issues I had with my previous roommates while I was living in my first apartment for a few months. I had to move back in with my parents because the environment was so negative and so bad that I developed anxiety to the point of needing treatment.

I lost 20 pounds in almost 2 months due to the amount of anxiety I felt every day. This is a big deal for me considering I'm already a tiny girl (5'3) and have never been overweight just average,healthy weight. I didn't notice this change until my clothes became so baggy that I had to buy new ones and all of my friends and family started commenting on how skinny I had gotten.

I'm frightened by this drastic change in my body. I had no idea how much anxiety could really effect your life. Every day I was on edge, heart rate was always so fast, I became so paranoid that I started making scenarios up in my head of the worst things in the world while I was away at work causing me to feel so anxious I couldn't breathe.

I did the right thing by moving away, but I just moved back this weekend and I still feel the anxiety pushing at my body at certain times during the day. Not as bad as before but still slightly there. I'm speaking to my doctor about these symptoms on monday and am starting up pilates/yoga again and temporarily staying away from hard workouts at the gym. My diet is healthier than its ever been so the food isn't the issue.

I guess I'm just asking for help on how to accept this change in my life. All of this is new for me and I've become so overwhelmed at feeling like I'm not in control of what my body does anymore. I'm trying to remain positive but I feel like I allowed myself to be sucked into such a negative world, ( was living with abusive and violent roommates.. they were a couple who abused their dogs and each other ) that it's going to take a long time to come back from that.

Corina86
05-08-14, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry you had to go through such a hard time with your roommates :(! I'm glad you are out of there though.

I've went through similar things when I was bullied at school and when I had very abusive co-workers. The anxiety did diminish after I got out of there, but there is also the fear in the back of my mind that such circumstances will return and I still have no skills to deal with them. Plus, I still have social anxiety which is in itself enough to make me an easy target for abusive behavior.

But anxiety can be controlled. Exercise helps a bit (hard workouts are the best for me, since they exhaust me beyond the point of feeling any fear), diet helps control the issues with my stomach and guts, but doesn't do much for anxiety. I've never liked yoga or pilates, but some people had good results with them.

And of course, medication helps a lot. For me, it took away all the anxiety (and pretty much every other emotion, but, at that time, it was worth it). It did cam back after I stopped treatment, but mine never had a clear trigger, it's mostly a combination of social anxiety, hypochondria, fear of death and fear of imaginary things/spirits/energies. The fear and dread I experienced at school/work is gone for good though. The thing that helped most was surrounding myself with positive people- they're hard to find, but it's totally worth the effort.

ashlers
05-09-14, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through such a hard time with your roommates :(! I'm glad you are out of there though.

I've went through similar things when I was bullied at school and when I had very abusive co-workers. The anxiety did diminish after I got out of there, but there is also the fear in the back of my mind that such circumstances will return and I still have no skills to deal with them. Plus, I still have social anxiety which is in itself enough to make me an easy target for abusive behavior.

But anxiety can be controlled. Exercise helps a bit (hard workouts are the best for me, since they exhaust me beyond the point of feeling any fear), diet helps control the issues with my stomach and guts, but doesn't do much for anxiety. I've never liked yoga or pilates, but some people had good results with them.

And of course, medication helps a lot. For me, it took away all the anxiety (and pretty much every other emotion, but, at that time, it was worth it). It did cam back after I stopped treatment, but mine never had a clear trigger, it's mostly a combination of social anxiety, hypochondria, fear of death and fear of imaginary things/spirits/energies. The fear and dread I experienced at school/work is gone for good though. The thing that helped most was surrounding myself with positive people- they're hard to find, but it's totally worth the effort.

thank you for your input! I personally love pilates, I've lost so much weight however that I had to cut back on my hard workouts because I haven't had the energy to get back to running.
I'm talking about meds to my doctor on monday mainly because I just need something temporarily for the time being for when I have major anxiety spouts which I've been dealing with since I moved out.

I feel like I'm in the recovery process now that I've removed myself from the situation I'm dealing with the aftermath of it all and realizing how bad things were. It's hard but I'm working on it.

We get stronger every day right? :)