View Full Version : help! antipsychotics and adderall. Appointment soon.

leilou
05-08-14, 08:54 PM
Hi! I'm new here. I was wondering what antipsychotic has the least effect on Adderall. Right now I'm taking Haldol (injection) and 10 mg oral, Latuda, Klonopin .5mg X 3 a day, Pristiq, Adderall 20mg X 2 a day, and Ambien 10mg. I'm noticing that my Adderall doesn't work as well. I've been researching a lot and so far I've found that Geodon, Abilify, and Seroquel don't seem to interact but I need something that's sedating. Thanks! Please respond! :)

peripatetic
05-08-14, 09:27 PM
are you going to keep on the haldol depot? i'm going to assume yes and non negotiable. and you want sedation... and it has to be antipsychotic because why not trazodone?

does it have to work to bolster the haldol because you could adjust the seroquel under 250 isn (higher doses are less sedating and more possible for monotherapy) and it could be sedative whilst reinforcing..

geodon makes some people sleepy as hell, so maybe don't discount that..

abilfy...i got nothin

i mean, i can list other atypicals BUT:

does it have to be a second antipsychotic? if yes, maybe what is the atypical supposed to be doing for you? if just as a sedative, as i said much lower dose of seroquel could help. zyprexa for most, if just for sedation...like under

i can think of a hundred scenarios but unproductive, so if you could say more...but also...you realize, ultimately, your doctor will best guide you :)

also, welcome to the forums:)

leilou
05-08-14, 09:31 PM
no i'm going to stop the haldol all together. She mentioned switching me to Invega but I looked it up and it still interacts with adderall. I really need the adderall to work. I notice it is not working very well with the haldol, looked it up - read that there was an interaction where the effect of adderall was decreased. It needs to be an antipsychotic. I'm just looking for one that doesn't interact with adderall as much as haldol does. It's even in the pamphlet you get from the pharmacy.

leilou
05-08-14, 09:39 PM
thank you!

peripatetic
05-08-14, 09:47 PM
whoa, dood...you're planning on making some MAJOR changes. i just want to caution that everyone will react differently and to really maybe have some ideas. but work with your psychiatrist :)

i'm aware of the haldol situation, but, also remember EVERYTHING will interact in some way AND it it can vary a lot from person to person so must try to know for sure. BUT that doesn't mean the interaction is prohibitive. a lot of medication is *balance* sure...there's a little of this lost and that gained...but the overall picture improves, yeah?

does it have to be available in depot injections? if so...i mean....you don't have tons of options if so. i would say give the invega a shot ha! seriously though... i've not taken invega sustenna but i do hear positive things. risperdal consta is a similar thing.

hope that helps!

leilou
05-08-14, 10:00 PM
no it doesn't have to be an injection. i was bad at taking my meds at first so that's why they gave me an injection. I'm a lot better now. Thanks so much for your help.

peripatetic
05-09-14, 09:24 AM
i see.

so you want a sedating antipsychotic that works well with adderall? the thing is...that is going to likely...the ones with heavier sedation...are going to be harder on the adderall..

why do you need sedation? to go to sleep at night or because your psychosis has a lot of agitation? if the former...maybe geodon or abilify and then trazodone or something for sleep? if the latter... i would avoid abilify for sure. depending...i would say zyprexa. for many-most is causes weight gain thought so.... the wafers are better for that.but, it'll sort that agitation problem ...i've never known it not to .

sarahsweets
05-09-14, 09:37 AM
I take adderall xr 3 times a day. I am bipolar and I take geodon at night because it is sedating.

leilou
05-09-14, 02:13 PM
i see.

so you want a sedating antipsychotic that works well with adderall? the thing is...that is going to likely...the ones with heavier sedation...are going to be harder on the adderall..

why do you need sedation? to go to sleep at night or because your psychosis has a lot of agitation? if the former...maybe geodon or abilify and then trazodone or something for sleep? if the latter... i would avoid abilify for sure. depending...i would say zyprexa. for many-most is causes weight gain thought so.... the wafers are better for that.but, it'll sort that agitation problem ...i've never known it not to .

I've tried Zyprexa before. IT made me gain a ton of weight and had nasty side effects so I switched to Latuda. I need it for sleep and psychosis. I'm doing a lot better now. I've tried Trazodone for sleep. Doesn't seem to help at all.

Traveler5
05-09-14, 04:17 PM
I'm on Risperdal, similar to Zyprexa, to help control anxiety and possible Bipolar 2 -- I take it at night. I am convinced it does interfere with the Adderall I'm taking -- decreasing Adderall's effectiveness on me. I'm a bit stuck because I need the Risperdal to help me handle Adderall. Yes, I have gained some weight while on Risperdal but the Adderall helps to counteract my increased appetite. I would really like to know of another option to Risperdal so I can get the full benefit of Adderall in my system. Please let me know if you find an alternative. Thanks!

peripatetic
05-10-14, 06:21 AM
I've tried Zyprexa before. IT made me gain a ton of weight and had nasty side effects so I switched to Latuda. I need it for sleep and psychosis. I'm doing a lot better now. I've tried Trazodone for sleep. Doesn't seem to help at all.

ah...sorry to hear you are one that got intolerable side effects. i would go with your doctor's suggestion and see if it heaps. the only other one i know others have taken with adderall is saphris, but i have no substantial experience with it myself. i should also, speaking of experience, note that i've always done better on methylphenidate ones than adderall anyway. so, unsure if you've investigated other options but that might be another route.

good luck at your appointment!

Babylon5
10-13-14, 09:16 PM
I'm currently on Olanzapine (15 mg), and I find it pretty sedating.