View Full Version : 'Phrasebank' for writing: Really helpful

yellowflowers
05-10-14, 02:21 PM
Hi :)

Just wanted to post link to this website I found for help with academic writing. Its really helpful for anyone like me who has trouble structuring sentences....or finding the right words to use

http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/

Xxx

yellowflowers
05-10-14, 02:24 PM
Ooo oh what I've been doing too is taking phrases I really like and putting them in a notebook I can look in when I'm stuck.... like formal email type phrases etc.

Finding it a bit hard to remember to put stuff in the notebook but the more I use it the hander it gets :yes:

finallyfound10
05-11-14, 12:55 PM
This is so cool!!! Thank you!! I have been thinking of taking a writing class because I think that I struggle more than "normal" with it.

I am not good with transitions and the like. Eventually, I will be going back to school for a Bachelor's in Nursing where there is a lot of writing so this will be so helpful!!

Thanks again!!!

MADD As A Hatte
05-15-14, 04:47 AM
Spectacular. Thanks so much. I have forwarded this on to the learning development at my uni (Uni Newcastle, Australia). Bloody fantastic!
Cheers

MADD As A Hatte
05-16-14, 08:11 AM
Hi :)

Just wanted to post link to this website I found for help with [essay writing].

http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/

Xxx

So, today I lashed out and spent 4 for the Phrasebank e-book of this UK professor.

Splendid! It's the best money I've spent thus far in my fledgling university education.

Brilliant! Did I say a thousand thank you's to the forum poster? No? How rude!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. thank you ...

PS I sent the link to the student support / learning development unit at my uni. They want to know where it is that I keep finding all these hidden gems that I put them onto. At this point, I admit, I am taking ALL the glory, but in my heart I acknowledge ... I stand on the shoulders of all of you ADD giants!

yellowflowers
05-25-14, 09:58 AM
Hi finally found and MADD as a Hatte!

Glad you found the link useful :) where did you find the 4 phrase bank book? Is it worth the money? I can get a bit overwhelmed if too much info ( is it very long?)

Xxx

MADD As A Hatte
05-27-14, 09:26 AM
... where did you find the 4 phrase bank book?

Google: Academic Phrasebank Manchester UNI.
Go to the link
Left hand side - choose Phrasebank.pdf
You buy a license for four pounds and then download it

It's the best under-ten dollars investment I've ever made!

It's not a ton of overwhelming info; it's a wonderful treasure trove of boosters to help you get started, or to improve your writing generally, or to perfect your already pretty good skills.