View Full Version : 85% of People Are Brain Injured

BellaVita
05-11-14, 08:14 PM
My boyfriend's mother's youngest son has Cerebral Palsy.

She went to these seminars, where she learned about therapy, did training, and got certified to work with mentally disabled.

Anyway, she said at the seminar they said 85% of people are brain injured.

I honestly think the place she went to was full of quackery and weirdness, as they said they could "cure" ADHD and other mental disorders through therapy/treatment.

So, this can't be true can it?

dvdnvwls
05-11-14, 08:20 PM
They're probably depending on a very very generous definition of "injury", including every person who has been suspected of having a concussion at some time in their life for instance.

Fraser_0762
05-11-14, 09:28 PM
Every brain is different. So technically 100% of brains are "injured".

There's no universal way for the brain to look or function. Thats just how it is.

TygerSan
05-11-14, 09:34 PM
I'm guessing this was some kind of patterning/movement therapy? Possibly vestibular stimulation?

The sad thing is a lot of therapies like that have at least a small amount of truth to them, but they over promise like mad both on the scale of the results and the scope of the children they can help. (i.e., if 85% of children are brain injured, then the company can help those 85% of children improve, right?)

Fortune
05-11-14, 09:39 PM
Neurological differences between people does not really qualify as injury or damage.

BellaVita
05-11-14, 10:04 PM
I'm guessing this was some kind of patterning/movement therapy? Possibly vestibular stimulation?

The sad thing is a lot of therapies like that have at least a small amount of truth to them, but they over promise like mad both on the scale of the results and the scope of the children they can help. (i.e., if 85% of children are brain injured, then the company can help those 85% of children improve, right?)

I'm not sure what kind of therapy it was.

Yeah, seems like they promised a lot that's for sure.

They said since people don't use all of their brain that means they're brain injured or SOMETHING.

BellaVita
05-11-14, 10:05 PM
Neurological differences between people does not really qualify as injury or damage.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Fortune
05-11-14, 10:08 PM
So much of this miracle-peddling requires them to convince everyone that they have tons of health problems because otherwise why buy into their scam?

So everyone has brain damage! That's actually a pretty contentious claim, and for someone inclined to believe it, a scary claim.

dvdnvwls
05-11-14, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure what kind of therapy it was.

Yeah, seems like they promised a lot that's for sure.

They said since people don't use all of their brain that means they're brain injured or SOMETHING.
Sarcasm: You can discern the truth of those claims by the way in which the so-called "practitioners" are so much better at so-called "using all of their brain" than we are. :)

This is a scam to collect people's money while convincing those people that they are learning valuable secrets. And when the people come back to their friends and families with what they think are valuable secrets, those "valuable secrets" might make an impressive noise and be something to argue about around the dinner table, but they don't actually have any useful effect (unless things like shame at their own pitiful inadequacy, disillusionment with or devotion to the quack practitioner, etc, count as useful effects).

BellaVita
05-11-14, 10:51 PM
Hey just talked to my boyfriend...he said they took a sample cerebral fluid (got permission from the parents), and would drill in, get a sample of the fluid, and do tests to find blood in the cerebrospinal fluid.

At first it was done by a private doctor, and he figured out 64-65% of his patients had blood in the cerebrospinal fluid, and later(different doctors) did more testing and stuff with more professionals, and they found out that 85% were damaged.

(Doesn't necessarily mean physical symptoms)

(Sorry for crappy sentencing - gotta go!)

Fortune
05-11-14, 11:56 PM
It can also be blood from the puncture wound needed to collect the sample.

BellaVita
05-12-14, 01:46 AM
It can also be blood from the puncture wound needed to collect the sample.

Hahaha, I didn't think of that!

TygerSan
05-12-14, 05:53 AM
Eew! Do people have any idea how painful the aftermath of a spinal tap can be? Sounds really sketchy to me.

stef
05-12-14, 07:09 AM
85% ????

That can't be right; or they mean "has some disorder"...

But that's very misleading, it makes it sound like 85% of the population, had a severe concussion or something.

Amtram
05-12-14, 01:23 PM
OM*G. Yes, having cerebrospinal fluid removed is an invasive, painful, and potentially lethal procedure - I've had it done. Unless there are a lot of other less invasive tests done prior to this, in a hospital, by technicians who have specialized education in performing them, and a neurosurgeon looks at both the tests and the reports of the people who are specially trained to evaluate the test results, then there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to perform any kind of spinal tap, much less a *******' cerebral puncture!!

This is worse than just quackery, it is expensive, pointless, life-threatening quackery. Brain damage is detected through CT scans and MRIs, not drilling a hole in a kid's head.

Fuzzy12
05-12-14, 01:38 PM

That would explain a lot!!!! :rolleyes:

Amtram
05-12-14, 04:41 PM
Of course, the old trope about not using your whole brain was disproven ages ago. . .

BellaVita
05-12-14, 07:43 PM
Yeah I believe it's all quackery and quite horrid....it's hard to say this stuff to them without them getting offended, though.

I feel bad for their child with cerebral cuz they're trying all this stuff(the "therapy" techniques they learned) on him, and they're so hopeful and I know it's not gonna turn out great like they expect.....

Sad.

Amtram
05-12-14, 09:46 PM
Is he at least getting this "procedure" in a hospital? And getting a course of antibiotics along with it? Of course, this won't protect him from any of the opportunistic fungal infections that can destroy his brain from the inside out.

Just ask them innocently if they've gotten CT or MRI scans and what the neurosurgeon has to say. . .

Rebelyell
05-12-14, 09:59 PM
I'm just braindead..

Fortune
05-12-14, 10:41 PM
Reb, your dead brain is funnier and more companionable than many people's live brains. :D