View Full Version : I think I have in attentive ADD? Please give me your opinion!

jazzy123
05-12-14, 07:07 PM
So I know there are probably already a lot of threads on people asking if they have ADD, so sorry if that's annoying.. But I really need to know. So first let me say that, me and my mom are utterly convinced that I have ADD, and I got it from her (I heard it's genetic). She recently contacted my school and is having my teachers "observe" me to see if I should get tested for if and go on medication. The rest of my family and a lot of my friends are like "oh that's not a real thing. It's just part of your personality, and why would you want to change yourself?!" Though a lot of my friends are like, "ohhh yes Julia.. You definitely have it!" So I'm torn.

I don't even know where to start. My biggest thing is never listening. When someone is talking to me I usually only hear like 3/4 of what they are saying, or I am off in space lost in my thoughts, and I miss the most of what they are saying. I also feel like my mind works differently then others, because I often say things impulsively without thinking that usually have absolutely nothing to do with what's going on, and people either stare at me like I'm insane or start laughing at me. This leads people often think that I am stupid, ditzy, or an airhead.. Which I am not! My family gets so frustrating because they usually have to say my name at least 3 times to get my attention, and when I do, I usually zone out again and miss what they are saying.. Making them even more angry lol.

Sometimes I feel like my thoughts overtake me and I can't get them to stop. It's kind of like I can't block out any of it and it's like all of these words are constantly buzzing in my face! If you look at my google history, you will find a lot of "how to stop thinking so much/overthinking, or, how to stop zoning out." Also, I hate parties and large crowds, because I feel like Everything is one big blurr and my mind doesn't know what to focus in on and I get extremely stressed out.

I am always late to things. Idk why! My friends tease me for always being late, and people are always annoyed with me for it. It's getting worse as I get older.. And I only continue to be more late to things. I think the reason a because I'm always procrastinating.. Which is also getting worse as I age.

I am EXTREMELY afraid for when I start driving (soon). This is because I can't stay highly focused for more then a few seconds, and I feel like you need to be highly alert and focused the whole time I am on the road. I also can't remember directions for my life. Like I said before.. I have issues with listening to things, so I am afraid when the driving instructor tells me what to do, I will miss half of it and run into a pole, even though I am TRYING to listen.

I never pay attention in class. Idk.. This is the one thing I am confused about, because I have heard that people with ADD have great struggles in school. But I am pretty sure I have a 4.0 GPA! I have talked to my doctor about me possibly having ADD, and when I told her my grades, she was super shocked, and claimed I must be really intelligent to have grades like that, with ADD (she thinks I may have it). Though the thing is, I never in my life pay attention in class. I can zone out for a whole period, and not know a single thing that happened in that classroom that day. Grades are very important to me though, and since it's nearly impossible for me to learn in school, I usually teach myself everything we have learned that day at home. Maybe this is why my doctor thinks I'm extremely intelligent. For example, all the kids in class get taught the lesson by the teacher, but I take the notes from class and give myself my own lesson and make myself learn all of the material at home and do research online, and end up with an A or B in the class. Though, it's not easy. I constantly get side tracked.. Sometimes for hours eat a time, and have to remind myself that I have to study for school. It's very frustrating.

Though I also go into hyper focus mode a lot. When watching tv, don't even try getting my attention.. I won't hear you even if you are right next to me lol. Also, idk if this means anything, but I love video games!! I am also extremely good at them, and I am known as the sibling who is an expert at video games, out of everyone in my family.

Oh, yeah! I also forget lots of things that others find simple or basic. Like, I forget names of songs, names of people, names of places. I never remember the title of things.. Usually just the small details.

So yeah! There is probably more I could think of, but I really need to know what you think and I think this is enough information for now lol.So you think this is just my bad personality, or I have in attentive add? Give your opinions!!

jazzy123
05-12-14, 07:20 PM
Though, sometimes I'm not sure if this is just normal for people to act like from time to time?? Idk... It's just I've always considered these things normal in people. What if I'm worrying over nothing? I mean, it's actually kind of nice to think there might be a reason people view me as different, or why I've always felt different or off, but what if I'm actually normal? But just recently I discovered that most people aren't like me and I am mostly not considered normal.. I mean everyone is forgetful or lazy or says the wrong things at times.. But it happens way more often to me then the majority. Though it's a little uncomfortable to think I might have a "mental illness."

sarahsweets
05-13-14, 04:33 AM
If you and your mom think adhd is a real possibility, then skip asking the teachers for their opinion. What she needs to do is write a letter requesting a formal evaluation from the child study team or special services. They will have 60 days to respond and they have to take her seriously. They will then set up the necessary evals. In the mean time go see a psychiatrist and get things in motion. No need to wait for the school, you can do this on your own. And dont let your good grades get in the way of a diagnosis, if you have adhd your grades are not the only confirmation of whether or not you have it. You should be concerned about driving and adhd, my son had a difficult time with this as well. Also check out wrights law. Google it because I can link to it here but it discusses all of your rights that pertain to education.

MADD As A Hatte
05-13-14, 05:08 AM
even though I am TRYING to listen.!

What? Did you say something? I wasn't paying attention ... let me take my meds and I'll get back to you when they've kicked my brain into gear.

jazzy123
05-14-14, 09:44 AM
If you and your mom think adhd is a real possibility, then skip asking the teachers for their opinion. What she needs to do is write a letter requesting a formal evaluation from the child study team or special services. They will have 60 days to respond and they have to take her seriously. They will then set up the necessary evals. In the mean time go see a psychiatrist and get things in motion. No need to wait for the school, you can do this on your own. And dont let your good grades get in the way of a diagnosis, if you have adhd your grades are not the only confirmation of whether or not you have it. You should be concerned about driving and adhd, my son had a difficult time with this as well. Also check out wrights law. Google it because I can link to it here but it discusses all of your rights that pertain to education.

Well actually, we wanted to see a professional, but it costs thousands of dollars, and the reason we wanted the school evaluation done is because then we can go get the professional testing done for free. We got the results back from the teachers yesterday, but me and my mom had no clue how to read the graphs, so my mom called the school and is waiting for an answer to see what the information actually means. Until then, I'm waiting for the results.

MikhailTal
05-14-14, 11:19 AM
This does sound like ADHD-I to me, but of course, the behavior you mention can be a result of other psychological or neurological problems too. As mentioned earlier in this topic, grades don't mean anything at all; intelligence can compensate for grades, but of course not necessarily for other difficulties caused by ADHD. If you believe your life is affected by your behavior, you should get tested and sort it out. In the end just one opinion counts; the person who is entitled and educated to diagnose you. I hope you'll be assessed properly.

IMR-4064
05-14-14, 11:42 AM
Grades mean little- I had good high school grades, and a raging case of ADD/I. If I was interested in a subject (Physics, Chemistry, some math)- I got A's.

If I wasn't, B's or at worst a C+. As in, never study, pass all the tests, blow off the homework, read the assignments the night/morning before the tests and still come out in the top half of the class. Because, frankly- American high school curriculum is/was aimed pretty low!

See a professional, your teacher doesn't specialize in this!

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT DRIVING! Until you're in a state of mind to pay constant attention to your surroundings, you will be a danger to yourself and others, plus even minor crashes/tickets will eat up your families' budget.

Good luck, you've made a good start by considering ADD a possibility and asking for help, regardless of final diagnosis. I was 30+ years farther down the road before getting a clue what was up with myself-

jazzy123
05-15-14, 08:48 PM
Okay, so we just talked to the guidance councilor, and she said that the results say I don't have ADD. But, she said inattentive ADD is very often not noticed by the teachers, and it is usually ADHD that is very obvious. This didn't surprise me, since I never ever talk in class. Then she recommended a guy for us to go see who specializes in inattentive ADD, and I could do tests with him. Just wants to update you guys in what has been happening;) I'm hoping my mom can schedule an appointment with the doctor ASAP!!

Crosswired
05-16-14, 01:00 AM
Jazzy, I was diagnosed 3 years ago at age 34 with inattentive ADD. My parents refused to believe I had ADD because they had me evaluated by some sort of 'professional' when I was 14 and they said there was nothing wrong with me. The test they gave me was an IQ type test which has nothing to do with ADD.

One thing you need to know is that teachers are not in any way qualified to make an ADD diagnosis or recommendation. You need to see a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist. A teacher evaluation left me suffering for another 20 years so do not listen to anyone at your school.

jazzy123
05-16-14, 04:15 PM
Jazzy, I was diagnosed 3 years ago at age 34 with inattentive ADD. My parents refused to believe I had ADD because they had me evaluated by some sort of 'professional' when I was 14 and they said there was nothing wrong with me. The test they gave me was an IQ type test which has nothing to do with ADD.

One thing you need to know is that teachers are not in any way qualified to make an ADD diagnosis or recommendation. You need to see a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist. A teacher evaluation left me suffering for another 20 years so do not listen to anyone at your school.

Yes, I know. The councilor said that teachers can often not tell when a kid has ADD, and so my parents still want me to get checked out by a doctor or professional, and my councilor recommended someone for us to go to.. So we shall see.

SCIENCE68
05-18-14, 10:54 AM
jazzy123,

I am 45, a teacher, and much of what you've said could be said about me. I graduated with the highest honors from college, but just like you, I mostly taught myself - and could because the subjects really interested me. But it took me much longer to complete my education than most people.

I agree, though, that you should be evaluated by a professional. And starting at school would be a good way to go. I only figured out that I'm ADHD last year. It's unbelievable that it took me so long to seek treatment, but I, like many, associated ADHD with hyperactivity, which is not a (physical) problem that I have. In my brain, I am definitely hyperactive.

It's good that you are recognizing this now. There is so much ignorance about ADHD. I would recommend that you watch/listen to some talks by Russell Barkley. I don't know how people on this forum feel about him, although I'm sure there are diverse opinions. Reading and listening to him about this condition helped me understand things much better.

I hope that you can find someone who will really listen to you about what you're experiencing and help you with medication soon.