View Full Version : Processing emotions: does any supplement or treatment help?

Fortress
05-13-14, 10:47 PM
I guess most of you know ADD comes with trouble in the emotion regulating department. What with the sudden anger, sadness or ecstasy depending on life events, I figure it's no wonder I erect an emotional barrier on default mode without even noticing. It's just too hard to manage.

But I've had it with keeping detached to cope. So... anyone knows anything about this please?? And I don't mean controlling emotions; Adderall'll let me do this perfectly... but it's more controlling than living and dealing with the emotions, which I'm looking for.

... or should I just accept that I'll be a floating, whimsical consciousness with no anchoring forever??

Daydreamin22
05-13-14, 11:01 PM
I downloaded emotional freedom on audible. It explains a lot. Hope that helps.

ana futura
05-14-14, 12:32 AM
Taking a meditation training class helped me tremendously.

MikhailTal
05-14-14, 11:38 AM
I take it you mean emotions that are way too intense or engulfing when considering the cause? When I'm conscious enough to see that my emotions are not appropiate, I start talking to myself and try to put things into perspective. It's hard, but sometimes it works. When I'm ecstatic about something, it's harder, but I still try to do it, because what goes up, must come down...

Fortress
05-14-14, 08:48 PM
Yep, that's what I mean...
You know, I was gonna say I already do plenty of "talking to myself" but I realized when it comes to actually confronting my feelings I end up focusing on "why do I even react like this in the first place I'm so weird" so maybe that doesn't help changing at all. I think there's some work to do there. I just wonder if I'll ever stop feeling this gushing volcano inside when something unexpected happens or if I'll always be this weird.

ana futura, I think meditation is an excellent idea and it's helped me too the rare times I did it, but I do it so rarely because of how unstimulating the prospect of it seems. I always wanna do something else :p I think I'll try more.

As for the audiobook, I'll try it out. They were giving a free book to first users too, so cool there. Thanks guys.

Nicksgonefishin
05-15-14, 01:50 AM
Name your emotions to tame them.

Sounds cheesy. Works like a charm.

sarek
05-15-14, 02:11 AM
Name your emotions to tame them.

Sounds cheesy. Works like a charm.

It works indeed. Its not cheesy at all, it is based on the fact that feelings as such are only processes in the brain. Happiness, sadness, anger, are all energy states which you can become aware off and identify.

Having said that and adding a caveat, I know it works for me, provided my awareness is "on the ball". I have not the faintest clue if this will do anything for clinical mood disorders.

Nicksgonefishin
05-15-14, 02:33 AM
Having said that and adding a caveat, I know it works for me, provided my awareness is "on the ball". I have not the faintest clue if this will do anything for clinical mood disorders.

No. When practiced in the "on the ball state" of meditation/awareness regularly emotion control will overlap to when we aren't so on the ball. The whole point is to train the unconscious brain via the conscious mind. Stepping back and showing the limbic system that it can chill because you have seen these emotions before.

Kinda like when you see a big scary dog and instead of assuming it's scary go up and pet it. The next time you see the dog you won't be scared because you have already met.

Practicing while on the low road. Might be what sarek was talking about and yes at that time is too late. Practice practice practice but no need to be prefect!

We are human and can take the low road at times. This is where forgiveness is important. Remember the natural state of the mind is calm joyfulness.