View Full Version : adhd and the immune system

someothertime
05-15-14, 10:13 AM
i have not had a flu for around 6 years ( touch wood )...

the last times i got it, was when i was working ( over working in IT with no exercise )....

so... i've had a gut load of intestinal issues... body aches and pains... but for some reason.... lurgies are leaving me alone.... and it's not like i get heaps of vitamins or anything..... my kids would have had 3 to 7 in that time... and I have not had them...

is there any correspondence between lymphatic / anitbodies and ADHD? or is it a product of isolation / reduced human contact?

SB_UK
05-15-14, 11:08 AM
I'd suggest ADDers under distress are susceptible to every disease.

The confounding factor is distress level under - which is close to impossible to assess.

Maybe cortisol sensitivity might be useful ?
I'd suggest a relationship between cortisol resistance and disease susceptibility - or maybe I've just copied that idea off this paper - can't remember ... ...

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/03/26/1118355109.abstract

I get every sickness and am permanently tired - all easily dissected mechanistically from stress.

SB_UK
05-15-14, 11:28 AM
These data provide support for a model suggesting that prolonged stressors result in GCR, which, in turn, interferes with appropriate regulation of inflammation. Because inflammation plays an important role in the onset and progression of a wide range of diseases, this model may have broad implications for understanding the role of stress in health.

You know - cold virus, flu virus - it's all the same.

Isn't stress well known to re-activate latent viral infections eg HSV,HPV,EBV ?

However - from a scientific point of view defining the level of stress an individual is under is difficult if it's perceptual - so being around people isn't stressful for some, it is stressful for others - how to study this variable when an individual's reactivity will be personal ie it's not whether you've been exposed to flu virus it's whether you're immunocompromised through life - some people will be others won't - though I'd guess that - well you know the idea.

SB_UK
05-15-14, 11:35 AM
ps - the last time I got it was when I was working is the clue isn't it ?

There's nothing really stressful about working - it's people - and to some extent the work - if it's demonstrably pointless - to net detriment.

someothertime
05-15-14, 11:36 AM
hmmmm... all makes sense SB... looks like maybe not ADHD related then... on the contrary... we should get the flu etc. more often?

well, the only other thing I can think of is some sort of dietary "superhelper" i've luckily been getting or my bike riding either exposing me to myriads of bugs in minor amounts early ( tolerance ) or the circulatory "work" has some sort of bug filtering effect... i'm leaning toward the exposure theory... apparently athletes get bugs cause they are susceptible when they everwork their systems...

or... i guess going back to your original theory... even though the stress is/was present... the riding prevented it "crossing over into the body"... cause i've definately been stressed...

hmmm...

SB_UK
05-15-14, 11:39 AM
hmmmm... all makes sense SB... looks like maybe not ADHD related then... on the contrary... we should get the flu etc. more often?

I do, with asthma - deadly combination - can't be bothered to get the injection though.

SB_UK
05-15-14, 11:40 AM
Each year, an average of 36,000 Americans die from flu-related complications such as pneumonia and acute respiratory disease. The risk is greater for ... people who have chronic medical conditions such as asthma.

Not good ... ....

SB_UK
05-15-14, 11:47 AM

well, the only other thing I can think of is some sort of dietary "superhelper" i've luckily been getting or my bike riding either exposing me to myriads of bugs in minor amounts early ( tolerance ) or the circulatory "work" has some sort of bug filtering effect... i'm leaning toward the exposure theory... apparently athletes get bugs cause they are susceptible when they everwork their systems...

or... i guess going back to your original theory... even though the stress is/was present... the riding prevented it "crossing over into the body"... cause i've definately been stressed...

hmmm...

Sorry posts crossed over -that's the line about work - work-related stress.

General argument the workplace is ONLY about money/power - these people get on - psychopathic influence - lots of money/power - make you do what they want or trouble - no securing money, no reference letter

- apparently in some fields if you're any good - bosses write poor references so that you're stuck working for them -

the field of medicine no less.

A supposedly intelligent discipline ?

Just today - individual reported for being arrogant - comment from teacher - 'it's just the son of a doctor syndrome' - wasn't expecting that.

SB_UK
05-15-14, 03:03 PM
Just trying to find a reference on difficulties experienced assessing stress level under - and came across this:

How to identify stress

Inability to concentrate or make simple decisions
Memory lapses
Becoming rather vague
Easily distracted
Less intuitive & creative
Worrying
Negative thinking
Depression & anxiety

is pretty much the same as the list of symptoms we associate with ADHD.

So presumably anything that 'distresses' will worsen ADHD as a basic (di)stress response ?

Fuzzy12
05-15-14, 03:22 PM
I actually don't think there is a link between ADHD and immune system (though I could be wrong..) but I've always prided myself in my immune system!!

My health otherwise isn't perfect, mainly because I treat my body like crap, but my immune system rocks!! Always has done!! I rarely pick up a virus or anything and I'm not careful about avoiding them either. Maybe that's what has strengthened my immune system but both my parents have got pretty good immune systems as well (at least they used to have) so I think, it's probably genetic.