View Full Version : ADHD-PI (ADD-I) Success Stories?

RufusT
05-16-14, 01:23 PM
Newbie here. Look forward to reading through everything, as I can't believe how I seem to have finally crashed my boat onto an island of folks that suffer from exactly what I do! I'll give my story and ask the big advice questions in another post, but I wanted to start by asking about Success Stories.

Although it feels fantastic to have discovered this island of kindred spirits, it would feel really great to hear some success stories regarding folks dealing with ADHD-PI (most other places seem to call it that, but ADD-I keeps coming up on this forum). I'd love to hear from folks that are somewhat on the other side (if there are any) to feel some hope for the future, as this issue has me nearly at rock bottom job/relationship/etc.-wise.

Thanks in advance, RufusT

(Sorry if there are other similar threads or stickies somewhere, I didn't see them right off.)

Batman55
05-17-14, 01:57 AM
You might be in for a very short thread. :D

(My inner cynic could not resist... sorry!)

RufusT
05-17-14, 09:34 AM
Gulp :(

RufusT
05-17-14, 10:15 AM
Ah jeez Batman, is that because we're all doomed passengers on a sinking ship or is it because as people get "better" they move on from the forum? :D

Sydney228
05-18-14, 10:54 AM
I am a semi-success story, haha. I tried going to college after graduating high school but just couldn't handle the lack of structure, so I decided to do something super crazy and join the Army (I'm a small, very girly female). It was the best decision I ever made! The structure and routines made me seriously feel like I didn't have AD(H)D, for the first time in my life I was truly thriving and totally happy. But then I switched to the Reserves and got a great job as a government contractor, and all of the forced structure I was thriving on disappeared and I slowly began to crumble. Adderall helped, but not enough. I had to quit because I knew I would be fired eventually if I didn't. Thankfully I met an amazing man that supports me no matter what (we are getting married in a month), but lately I have really been missing the structure and military life. I definitely recommend the military to anyone that doesn't require daily meds (I couldn't mention my ADHD when I enlisted since it is a disqualifier, but once I was enlisted for a while I went to a doc to get "diagnosed" so it could be on my military record and I could take adderall without failing a military drug test.)

Batman55
05-19-14, 12:18 AM
Ah jeez Batman, is that because we're all doomed passengers on a sinking ship or is it because as people get "better" they move on from the forum? :D

I would say your first guess is pretty close... ;)

I've got ADD-I myself and for me, it's pretty much a double-edged sword.. not only does it destroy executive functioning (here's what I want to do: but wait a minute I said I wanted to do that 15 years ago.. and I still haven't done it!).. it definitely does NOT help in terms of social skills... I've found being inattentive, slow, forgetful, and bored by many of the things most people seem be interested in does not help one's social skills... so it all leads into a vortex of destruction... for me, anyway.

So yes in general I do believe ADD-I is particularly rough. I believe the ADD types that come with hyperactivity enables one to overcome the deficiencies, because what I have seen in real life (and in this forum, to some extent) is these people often have an insatiable need for activity... so much energy that they eventually find a way to connect, in life. Which is a definite advantage over slow, foggy, unmotivated, and so on.

jman05
05-25-14, 11:02 PM
I tried literally every med and the only one that worked was Strattera. I actually took it when I got my first job out of college, but I didn'
t give it enough time to work and wanted to try the more powerful stimulants. I tried it again years later, and saw some benefits, but my does was too low and I wanted to again try stimulants. I then tried for a third time and loosing countless jobs and depressed and hopeless. Well it is now working amazing. Its amazing how I can actually listen while being spoken to! Such a simple thing.

Corina86
05-26-14, 05:19 AM
It really depends a lot on what you mean by success.

If by success you mean accomplishing something grand, then most people, ADHD or not, never have it.

If you mean accomplishing your goals, again it depends on what goal a certain person set out for himself/herself. ADHD-PI-ers are notorious daydreamers and this could lead to larger than life expectations that are never fulfilled.

If you mean not failing at life and having small success, like having a decent stable job, friends, family, love, doing some of the things we like to do, I think most of us, on this forum at least, are doing pretty ok.

A person's success depends on many things: health issues, physical and mental (other disorders besides ADHD), upbringing, family wealth, looks, personality, intelligence, talent or simply luck. The fact that another person is doing well or not doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time! Good luck to you! I hope things will get better!
:grouphug: