View Full Version : starting strattera on monday

Cotter67
05-17-14, 09:28 AM
after an unsuccessful month on concerta, the doctor wants to me to start on strattera:mad:.i wanted to try dexedrine the other medication you can get in the uk but hes chosen to prescribe this stuff, ive been on many ssri's and i know this stuff is similar in that it takes weeks to start working. i would of thought this stuff would be the last option i was really hoping he was going to prescribe dexedrine:( im the inattentive type and ritalin did nothing for me other than muscle tension and headaches, im honestly considering not taking the strattera then going back in a month and saying its not working. i dont want to be sitting for weeks waiting for something to kick in, ive read dexedrine is much better for the inattentive than methylphenidate as well.

Meteodan
05-19-14, 09:51 AM
I took Strattera for about a month and half. I started on 25 mg, and started feeling a difference on day 2 or 3. When I went up to 40 mg the next week, that's when it really started to kick in. I'm not sure if my experience is typical, but just to encourage you to give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it works.

I ended up having to stop it despite the great benefits to my ADHD due to some rather bizarre and unpleasant sexual side effects (which utterly disappeared the day after stopping the Strattera), but I was a rare case. From what I understand, most people don't have the degree of side effects that I had.

Truly, the benefits were so great that I was willing to give it some more time for the side effects to go away, despite their severity, but my doctor decided against it.

Currently I'm taking Focalin XR, which appears to be working fairly well, but wears off rather quickly for me (so I'm going to see about getting a higher dose). Strattera was "always on", which is one of the things I liked about it.

So, my advice is to give it a shot and don't prejudge how the medicine is gong to affect you.

Office_prisoner
06-05-14, 12:25 AM
I'm on day three of Strattera after quite a few trials of SSRIs (I have mild anxiety which used to be rather severe, was only diagnosed about a month ago with ADD/ADHD). I was a bit hesitant to start with Strattera as it sounded to me like an SSRI with the time it takes to start working and some of the side effects. I tended to react badly to SSRIs hence my hesitation. I know it's early days yet but I've found that strattera seems to be helping and the only side effects so far are a dry mouth, minor nausea (nothing compared to SSRIs), and some muscle tension...although the tension might come from being hunched over a computer all day and working out.

My mind feels a bit clearer and I've noticed I'm able to remember things somewhat better but I'll see how it goes as I've got a months worth before I go back to my doctor. Strangely I feel like my sense of smell and hearing have improved or perhaps I'm just paying more attention now? Anyway I hope you're getting good results :)