View Full Version : Just switched from Adderall IR to XR- sleepy?

Sydney228
05-17-14, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone! This is my first post on these forums.

I have inattentive type- very scatterbrained and cannot finish tasks or get anything done unless I'm on meds. I've been diagnosed for a few years, and I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of meds to make me feel "normal" - I hate feeling not normal. Knowing my brain isn't right but not knowing what will fix it is tough!

For the past few years, I've been on various doses of Adderall IR, most currently 20 mg IR twice a day plus 150mg Wellbutrin. I really felt like this was the closest I've felt to normal, but the Adderall IR was making me pretty irritable and mean, and the Wellbutrin hasn't been balancing me out lately.

My doc just switched me to Adderall XR 25mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning, plus 10mg Adderall IR in the afternoon as a "kicker." I also am prescribed a low dose of Trazodone on nights that I cannot fall asleep.

Today is my first day on the XR, and I literally feel so tired. About 30 mins after taking it, my eyelids got super heavy, and I felt so exhausted. It's been a few hours now and I still feel like I don't have the energy and the focus that I had on the IR. Has anyone experienced this before? Maybe my dose is too low or something? I love not feeling irritable, but if I am happy yet can't get anything done, I'd rather be crabby and productive.

Another thing to note, for some reason my pharmacy (Walgreens) called my doc and said that she cannot prescribe me more than 40mg a day because of my weight, which makes no sense to me! I am 5'5" and 115lbs. I feel like the pharmacists think I'm a drug addict when I go to pick up my prescriptions, it's so frustrating!

Does anyone have experience switching to XR from iR? Will the sleepiness go away after I take it for a while?