View Full Version : Keeping Teens & Pre-teens busy in Summer

ccom5100
05-17-14, 02:45 PM
My DS is too young to get a real summer job and too old to go to camp. So, what to do in the summer?

I know he'll be very happy playing X-Box and/or computer games all day long. I will give him ample time to do those things, but he needs to do other things as well. I always give him about 30-45 minutes a day of academic work to do (which he hates), but I think it is important to keep the brain active during the summer.

I've come up with one idea, that he started on this morning, and he actually enjoyed it (Thank you, God!!!). He has been playing soccer for 10 years, so I thought it would be fun and a good way to serve the community by volunteering to work with the 4, 5 & 6 year olds in our parks and rec little kickers soccer program.

The Saturday morning session started today and once school is out, he'll be assisting several times a week at 45 minute sessions. It will require me to drive him back and forth to the park, but I don't mind as long as it gets him outside and doing something.

If anyone else has some ideas, please keep this thread going; I'm sure there are plenty of us with the same summer dilemma.

sarahsweets
05-18-14, 07:13 AM
I have no idea what I am going to do! My son can drive but he is going to boot camp in sept so he will spend his time socializing. My 14 year old-I dont know, I think we are going to try and do some day trips/camping.

LynneC
05-18-14, 12:07 PM
I have the same dilemma...
My soon to be 12 year old doesn't want to go to summer camp; this would be the last year he could go, and he really doesn't want to.
He'll go to Mexico for a month to be with my husband's family, and he does get a lot more outside time there, playing with cousins and friends.
But that still leaves the rest of the summer...

We went to the local humane society yesterday to see if we could volunteer there together, but they won't allow a 12 year old to volunteer, even under parent supervision. :(

I like the idea of assigning some daily school work, since it's likely a large part of his day will be devoted to 'tech'.
I may see if I can find some voluntary chores/projects around the house that he can do independently to earn some extra money.

dvdnvwls
05-18-14, 12:22 PM
As an undiagnosed inattentive-ADHD kid, probably I could just stare off into space for a considerable part of the day. :)

Daily school work seems like the antithesis of summer to me! As a kid, I would have fought that pretty hard. (I still would!) :)

I was a music kid who could and did occupy himself by playing the piano. But also lived on a farm, where "just go outside and play" or "help in the garden" or whatever made sense.

willow129
05-18-14, 08:41 PM
Reading reading reading :)
and drawing
and playing clarinet
hanging out with the kitties and my older siblings. You know, that is something about having a lot of kids, they kinda amuse/take care of each other.

My mom sent me to a day camp which I hated with my WHOLE BEING.