View Full Version : New blood, urine tests find 5 distinct types of depression

finallyfound10
05-17-14, 04:02 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/05/17/new-blood-urine-tests-find-5-distinct-types-depression-researcher-says/?intcmp=features

DichotOhMy
05-19-14, 02:20 PM
I believe there is solid evidence behind MTHFR issues and folate depression, mainly because I respond so strongly to l-methylfolate, and anything serotonergic either does nothing for me or results in nothing but side effects.

On the other hand, the pyroluria/copper toxicity angle the researchers play isn't like to gain traction anytime soon - as those are still "curezone.com-esque" conditions that the medical world doesn't accept. At least there's another chip in the ridiculous serotonin end-all-be-all hypothesis behind depression.

sarahsweets
05-20-14, 04:38 AM
I believe there is solid evidence behind MTHFR issues

Sorry I couldnt resist. I could have sworn your were abbreviating motherf**ker.

Ganjin
05-22-14, 09:32 AM
The news report references a guy who has his own "research institute". That's fine, but color me skeptical. First, there's a real lack of peer review behind this 'research'. And second, it's clear that he's selling something.

None of that means he's wrong, but these are red flags that warrant skepticism in my opinion.

Flory
05-22-14, 09:33 AM
Sarah LOL....

Also it's Fox News...is this even real life

Ganjin
05-22-14, 12:32 PM
Sarah LOL....

Also it's Fox News...is this even real life

FAIR & BALANCED :giggle:

Stevuke79
05-22-14, 01:13 PM
I got excited when I read the title because it sounded like something they've been talking about since January. Identifying protein markers in urine for depression .. they have even said they expect to have a diagnostic test by the end of this year. I thought this was about that .. but this is more of an invalid extrapolation trying to leverage the hype. I believe in his cause - ultimately all that will come of this is further legitimizing depression which is a very good thing.

He's sort of putting a sexy spin on mainstream thinking.. and selectively overgeneralizing some neurological pathways and getting very specific with others .. to make his research sound both all encompassing and yet biologically specific (hence validating depression) at the same time. This is mainstream thinking with better marketing - I like his "cause" though"

AnneM
05-30-14, 04:23 PM
I just wanna thank SarahSweets for making me laugh out loud.

fracturedstory
06-12-14, 11:44 PM
I got excited when I read the title because it sounded like something they've been talking about since January. Identifying protein markers in urine for depression .. they have even said they expect to have a diagnostic test by the end of this year. I thought this was about that .. but this is more of an invalid extrapolation trying to leverage the hype. I believe in his cause - ultimately all that will come of this is further legitimizing depression which is a very good thing.

He's sort of putting a sexy spin on mainstream thinking.. and selectively overgeneralizing some neurological pathways and getting very specific with others .. to make his research sound both all encompassing and yet biologically specific (hence validating depression) at the same time. This is mainstream thinking with better marketing - I like his "cause" though"
I'm all for leveraging the hype. God those people are annoying.

SSRI's always seem to work for me. So if this research turns out to have some credibility I can get those 'diet frees you from depression' people off my back.

Stevuke79
06-12-14, 11:47 PM
I like what you said, because it begs the question, when it comes to these disorders, and for instance when you know that SSRI's help you, what does this blood test add?

fracturedstory
06-13-14, 12:16 AM
Help for those who don't respond to SSRIs.

fracturedstory
06-13-14, 02:18 AM
Also, I like learning in detail why my brain does the kind of things it does.

MADD As A Hatte
06-13-14, 03:47 AM
LAND SAKES!!!

Why didn't they think of this decades ago! A BLOOD TEST!! Wow. Let me just pop over and have a look at the website for

:drumroll and very deep, serious-sounding voice over:

The Walsh Re-search In-stit-ute.

:humming quietly whilst googling ... tra la la ... :

Oh, here it is!

:sound of harps being plucked in ascending and descending glissando:

http://www.walshinstitute.org/

Fantastic! And you ripper! He's flogging his book, which promises to fix brain chemical imbalances with multivitamins. MULTIVITAMINS!
Let me rush to the checkout with my Mastercard and buy lots of copies FOR ALL MY ADD friends.

I'm fired up now. Jeez. I'm going to write to Suisse, and Blackmores, because clearly their children's, and women's multivitamin products are dodgy as.
As a sample of one, I can tell you - their big-brand expensive vitamin products DO NOT WORK. Not for ADD anyways. At least, not in my family's experience.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but truuuuuuuuuuly! However, as a gesture of goodwill, in the uni holidays, I shall trawl the databases and see if I can find
a peer-reviewed journal article, or some scientific research, pointing to a valid blood test for depression. I promise, as soon as I find it, I'll upload the pdf file to this thread.

Stevuke79
06-13-14, 08:01 AM
Help for those who don't respond to SSRIs.

Also, I like learning in detail why my brain does the kind of things it does.

Other than whether you respond to SSRI's the test itself is not conclusive. And as for testing for whether SSRI's work (which I think was the thrust of the article), .. we already have a test for that. It's even more accurate. :)

fracturedstory
06-13-14, 08:31 AM
My whole point was about getting the Natural News naysayers to shut up. Even if it's inconclusive it might be just we need to mend fences between certain groups.

I don't get why people get so angry over something like this. So, it was a private study...which could end up being a hoax...Still, I just think people put way too much trust in peer reviewed studies than any other type of research. Ever read Physics on the Fringe? Outsiders do have some interesting ideas. Maybe a cure will be found in some obscure private study from someone who's trying to sell some health products by accident. And by cure I just mean something that expands our knowledge.

Anyway, I'm annoyed now. So bye.

Stevuke79
06-13-14, 09:05 AM
That's a very good point. You're right. I tend not to think about what other people think .. it's my happy oblivion.

MADD As A Hatte
06-13-14, 09:16 AM
Thank you, Fractured, I understand your frustration. I was being transparently facetious in my post, only wishing to point out that we all have a deep responsibilityto each other, to carefully check the veracity of any links we share in our posts.

I'm sure FinallyFound10 can explain his/her intent of the original post.

Over to you, Finally Found.

Stevuke79
06-13-14, 09:26 AM
They've been working on a urine test for a while. that's what I was referring to in my original post to this thread. No luck yet, .. but I think Fractured had a great point,.. and as far as validating these disorders, this urine test would be the real McCoy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24661976

Fuzzy12
06-13-14, 10:42 AM
They've been working on a urine test for a while. that's what I was referring to in my original post to this thread. No luck yet, .. but I think Fractured had a great point,.. and as far as validating these disorders, this urine test would be the real McCoy.

Thanks for linking the original paper. Fascinating stuff. It seems like more research is required to verify their findings but if they really can distinguish between different types of depression it could lead to more effective individualised treatment options.

Stevuke79
06-13-14, 11:15 AM
Yes,.. and I didn't mean to knock it .. or offend anyone .. but when these tests are only "hypotehtically" accurate, I feel like maybe they're only further delegitimizing ADHD.

If anyone thought I was being rude or offensive, I'm really sorry about that. A lot of times I can't tell that I'm being rude or hurtful and I definitely don't want to be.

Fuzzy12
06-13-14, 11:30 AM
Yes,.. and I didn't mean to knock it .. or offend anyone .. but when these tests are only "hypotehtically" accurate, I feel like maybe they're only further delegitimizing ADHD.

If anyone thought I was being rude or offensive, I'm really sorry about that. A lot of times I can't tell that I'm being rude or hurtful and I definitely don't want to be.

This might be due to my extremely short short-term memory but I don't remember you being rude or hurtful in this thread :scratch:

I guess, fox news isn't really the most reliable source, which is why I'm grateful that you linked the original paper. I only skimmed through the paper since I don't understand most of the medical terms (well, and also because of a slight lack of patience:o) and the overall impression I guess, is that this is a very interesting field of study, the results are promising (though the study sample is rather small apparently) but I found the discussion of their results slightly limited and one-sided (though I hesitate making that statement since I didn't carefully read the entire paper).

Why do you think that this study would delegitimise ADHD?

Stevuke79
06-13-14, 11:49 AM
This might be due to my extremely short short-term memory but I don't remember you being rude or hurtful in this thread :scratch:

I guess, fox news isn't really the most reliable source, which is why I'm grateful that you linked the original paper. I only skimmed through the paper since I don't understand most of the medical terms (well, and also because of a slight lack of patience:o) and the overall impression I guess, is that this is a very interesting field of study, the results are promising (though the study sample is rather small apparently) but I found the discussion of their results slightly limited and one-sided (though I hesitate making that statement since I didn't carefully read the entire paper).

Why do you think that this study would delegitimise ADHD?

I think I 'annoyed' someone,... :(

About delegitimizing, .. I meant depression. And not the study I linked, I meant the one in the OP. (Wants to give you a bloodtest so he knows which multivitamin will cure you :))

Fuzzy12
06-13-14, 01:37 PM
I think I 'annoyed' someone,... :(

About delegitimizing, .. I meant depression. And not the study I linked, I meant the one in the OP. (Wants to give you a bloodtest so he knows which multivitamin will cure you :))

Well, if they are correct and depression can be caused by a vitamin deficiency (I think they mention folic acid in the article), if that deficiency can be identified and if then depression can be alleviated by using supplements, why not? :)

Stevuke79
06-13-14, 01:45 PM
Right,.. that was the part of the article that had no scientific support whatsoever. But it sounded nice and scientifically rigorous because of the other parts that were rigorous (but already common knowledge).

MADD As A Hatte
06-13-14, 10:10 PM

Interesting read, yes. This link is only to the Abstract, however. Stev, can you possibly upload a pdf of the whole paper?