View Full Version : How to schedule therapy sessions?

Chicky75
05-17-14, 09:47 PM
I posted about my frustrations on finding a good pdoc and therapist before, and got some good advice on how to tell if the fit was right, but no one addressed this part of my frustration specifically. So I'm wondering what other people do?

If you work full time, and are in weekly therapy sessions, how do you schedule them? This is what I wrote in my previous thread:

"When do people go to therapy? I can't imagine going during the work day, and then having to go back to work, potentially with red eyes. Plus, I really don't want anyone at work to know, but having to go somewhere at the same time every week is sort of a give away. Plus, I feel like a lot of the people I've talked to give me this attitude of not believing that I'm really committed to therapy if I don't just jump on whatever appointment time they offer me."

It's the last part that just makes me want to stop trying. I think one of the reasons I've stuck with the therapist I started seeing a few months ago is because she doesn't give me sh*t about scheduling appointments, even though we've rarely been able to keep it consistent from week to week. (I have an occasional part-time week night job in addition to my full time job.)

Am I doing this wrong? I usually ask upfront about schedules when making the first appointment, figuring if they don't have appointments at a time I could go every week, there's no point in bothering. But is it common for therapists' schedules to change frequently, so that even if they don't have any availability in the evening when I'm first making the appointment, maybe by the time I actually get to see them for the first time, something will open up?

willow129
05-17-14, 10:27 PM
I don't see my therapist every week, it's been pretty regularly the same day every 2 weeks for a bit now, but it doesn't stay that way.
Anyways I guess my point is my experience with the two therapists I've had has been pretty flexible, they didn't give me a hard time for having to work or go to class.....so hopefully you can find someone like that too :)

PandaPanda
07-08-14, 02:17 PM
I was wondering this as well! I just switched therapists--crappy divorce feelings suck!

The first one is nice...well, ok she's not even all that nice really, and she just isn't very good. The nice thing with her is that she had Saturday hours so it wasn't that hard to deal with.

The new one totally acts like I'm not committed to helping myself because I can't drop everything in the middle of my work day to schedule appointments. It would be an hour each way of travel plus a 40 minute appointment. The 50 minute hour appointment is pretty standard, but I was quite surprised at the 40 minute hour... Anyways, I dunno, sometimes I just feel like therapy does more harm than good when you get a bad therapist!

To answer the question directly, I schedule for evenings after work. I'm supposed to be going every week on the same day, but that isn't working out. I keep my schedule clear on my day of the week, but the therapist is either booked suddenly or has to cancel.

I'm in the same boat as you with trying to find a psychiatrist and a therapist. My therapist insists I need to see a psychiatrist, but doesn't have any that she refers to. The ones that are local (and covered by insurance) either don't treat add or aren't seeing patients. Aaaargh! So maddening!

addthree
07-08-14, 04:09 PM
I went through a few therapist and it never amounted to anything worthwhile. Sounds like your therapist is not committed to helping you. Guilt trip? I agree therapy does more harm than good. Therapy never helped me. It was just another thing to stress over. Never had a competent therapist.

Chicky75
07-08-14, 04:24 PM
PandaPanda, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I've actually started thinking about going back to school to become a therapist myself (which is sort of related to what I do now, so not totally from our of nowhere) with the idea that I could,open my own practice with weekend and later hours.

I would be shopping around for another therapist if I were you... I don't deal well with that attitude at all. Are there other options in your area? It really makes me crazy- I live in a city that's known for having world class healthcare and hospitals, and if it's this hard for me, what do people in little towns hours from cities do?

Can you talk to your regular doctor about medication, or a referral to a pdoc? And maybe are there group therapy sessions in your area? Maybe that would be more useful for now.

I do think therapy can help if you find the right person. It just shouldn't be so hard to find the right one!

sarahsweets
07-09-14, 07:01 AM
I think a bad therapist is what does more harm then good.

I went through a few therapist and it never amounted to anything worthwhile. Sounds like your therapist is not committed to helping you. Guilt trip? I agree therapy does more harm than good. Therapy never helped me. It was just another thing to stress over. Never had a competent therapist.

sarahsweets
07-09-14, 07:03 AM
RE: scheduling:
Sometimes people get hung up on the weekly appt thing. I feel like its better to have it then not and if that happens to be every two weeks then thats what you do. Not everyone can afford the time or money to see one every week, I know I sure cant. I love my therapist. Been seeing him for 16 years (yes I am THAT f**ked up!) and I wouldnt have gotten to the where I am today without therapy.